Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded to the Blackberry Bold (3G) so this next trip to western Europe will be my first time trying anything faster than GPRS. The Rogers website has a column for 3G coverage, but they don't indicate coverage in France/UK/Spain, etc.

Is this true? Or just an out-of-date website?

·
Registered
763 Posts
rogers uses the 850/1900 bands for their gsm/edge & umts/hspa(3G) networks here, whereas i think most of europe is 900/1800 for gsm/edge and 2100 for umts/hspa(3G). i would guess that the bold would work since it has tri-band 3G (850,1900,2100)..

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
And, unless you really, totally need to maintain your Rogers phone number while over in Europe, the best bet is to pick up a pre-paid SIM while over there and drop it into your Bold. $.15/min. or whatever sure beats the $4/minute or whatever that Rogers is gonna charge you.
(Assuming you have, or can get, the Bold unlocked.)

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using it for business, so I need to keep my +1 number in it. I guess I'll know for sure about the coverage on Saturday.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll at a minimum have 2G or Edge.

Cheers
Actually, I've never had EDGE in Europe. (not Germany, Spain, France or the UK anyways) I was under the impression that EDGE was only ever deployed in North America.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Had 2G (Edge) and limited 3G in Mexico last month on a business trip.

UK currently has 3G (confirmed with our UK office this morning - user with Iphone - O2 network)

They do/did have GPRS and Edge for older phones.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
I travel on a monthly basis to the UK and due to the cost of data (BES) and voice (Rogers), I have a regular UK O2 SIM I carry and switch to while in the UK.

You can:

- leave a message on your NA mobile for callers to call your EU number.
- get a SIM from callineurope that has keep my number, it's a O2 SIM and allows you CF your cell to another local number before it hits your EU mobile. Done this for others travelers and has BES service at 2.50 a day.
- I'm setup through our CISCO voip system with a cluster in NA and one in the UK. I CF my NA mobile to my desk phone, change my Cisco mobility setting to ring on my UK cell, swap SIMs and I'm local, next to free.

Prior to this I had 2-3k mobile bills while traveling, now very little 70.00GBP a month at most.

Work likes the ability for seamless communications until the first few bills arrive!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can now confirm that 3G exists for Rogers users in France and Scotland. Will examine my bills upon return to see if a local SIM makes sense. (though I only travel overseas quarterly)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did something similar - get a NA DID on voip.ms or future-nine.com ($2 - $5/mo), forward your NA mobile to it, and forward that DID to your EU mobile number.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts