Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 397 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2011.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Rogers Cable in 2011 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Rogers Cable has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=118243

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
Even though the HD versions of Family & YTV are ok I'd still like to see channels added that we don't already have(SD into HD) but actual new ones and not same progtaming just in HD.:rolleyes: Doesn'y matter that there SD only, SD is better then No D

I hope they add Yuppie(or what ever the channels called), Music Plus HD & Music Max HD, SE 2 HD then they'll have all the french HD(or I think they would?)

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
I also noticed some new ethnic channels MBC as well as Zeste SD and HD in the IPG
At present Rogers carring 108 ethnic services between 775-899.
There only 16 spots left between 775 & 899(asuming Rogers wants to keep ethnics in that channel range.

I can't seeing BTV or SD carring that many ethnic services.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
They will soon have to start using the 1000 range . I wonder who's bright idea it was to place SHOP TV right in the middle of the HD range? , and it's not in HD. That makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Because TSC is owned by Rogers and they want people to view it more. Many people, such as myself, tend to only surf in the 500's now.
Another reason could be that they are planning to go HD in the near future, but they shouldn't have placed the channel there until they are done. Same with Omni 1 and 2, why do they need to be there twice in the 500s? Again, they are owned by Rogers..

As for Zeste, it's the french version of Food TV. Nice to see Rogers now adding French channels at a faster rate. French is an official language after all in this country.

·
Registered
373 Posts
They will soon have to start using the 1000 range . I wonder who's bright idea it was to place SHOP TV right in the middle of the HD range? , and it's not in HD. That makes no sense.
In the atlantic the 1000 range are use by on demand, if they use 1000s for channels, where they gonna move the on demands? Unless they change it to use the same on demand system has Ontario.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
we dpnt have 1000 channels with demand here inontrio we have it on channel 100 and various other channels #s so in ontario they can add it here for ontario. it be nice to have all the HD and the channels group better. movies in movies, etc.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
What Rogers needs to do is have another lineup realignment and have the HD realigned prooperly. the Ethnic and French Channels in proper areas.

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
^ I agree.

I would do this:

HD move to 1000(match the SD numbers to HD or since the HD boxes now remap HD versions leave those in those SD spots and have a smal section for the odd HD channel IE Oasis etc.
Sports 400-599
French 600-699
Ethnics 700-850
Music 851-999
On Demand,Test 2000's range
the others I'd leave the way they are.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have a feeling that Rogers might abandon the HD channel grouping entirely. With the new remapping of HD channels to their original locations, it makes it less useful to duplicate them in the 500 range. That frees up room for other channels quite a lot now because there is no wasted space with the SD channels too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
agreed, I think now that the technology is there that they would spend more time abandoning the 500's and working back in 2-digit world.

I pray to god they don't start putting stuff in the 1000's, I know it's only an extra digit, but the thought of having to work with 4-digit channels just seems so annoying and cumbersome. When I see Bell channels in the thousands I can't help but think there has to be a better way.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I was told today via Sales Rep that Rogers Management will be making changes to the lineup and the HD CHannels will be realigned and regrouped. The lineup will be using the 1000 digit soon and might be moving the On Demand Channels there ! Or moving the HD to the 1000 like its counterpart Bell TV

SD will be around and with the channel remap on HD boxes are a plus but they need to have it done all the channels cuase there is a pause between SD and HD 1080i or 720 .

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
don't forget the music button on the remote is mapped to the 700 range, so they may want to keep it similar.

i dont think the pause is much of an issue, most people keep their stb in "fixed" and let the STB do the upconverting of SD content to 1080i and watch programs in OAR.

1 - 20 of 397 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.