Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to discuss programming and packages available from Rogers in 2010.

This is the thread to post in if you are investigating changing your programming on Rogers or investigating what is available on Rogers

Replaces the Rogers 2009 Programming and Packages Discussion

·
Registered
195 Posts
OK... i am trying to backwardsly figure out what HD packages I actually have because what the Rogers rep telling me doesn't make sense.

I have a bunch of HD channels (so does everyone, it's free)
but then I don't have the west coast HD channels, which implies i don't have the HD Specialty pack. ok so far so good.

here is the question:
If i have TSN HD... and Raptors HD... but I don't have TSN2 HD... what does that mean in terms of what packages I have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Specialty Channel Charges

Just added a second HDTV and digital terminal ($12.95). Am now being charged a second Specialty Channel package ($8.95) for the extra Dig. Term. Hope they are not going to also charge for a second VIP package. Is this OK?
If so at least they should tell you before a surprise invoice.
Any info helpful............

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I think that $8.95 is for the HD Channel Speciality Package, which gives you extra HD stations aside from the 'free' ones

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Are you saying the specialty package is being charged 2x on your bill, and you think its being charged per individual box? I'm sorry to say but its impossible for SGI to bill a package directly to a box specifically. Once you subscribe to a certain package, all the STB's in your house receive it, and you do not have to pay for it 2x, with the exception of the HDTV packages/channels. those are only available to be viewed on the HDTV boxes, and they are as well charged per household, not per Set Top box.

You should be aware of what specialty packages you are subscribed to, if you are unsure, give customer service a call and they can explain what channels are included in the packages you are subscribed to.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
My Godfather got the Digital VIP Package, or so he was told it was the Digital VIP, when the technician came to his house, he made him use his own "purchased" STB, Its an STB he purchased previously in time, its a NEW house he moved into, and a NEW cable account/install and they did not give him the 1 Cent rental STB. Did they make any changes to the D-VIP Package lately? isn't it kinda odd how they did not give a rental, also, when He phoned in to inquire about what package he is on, the guy could not give him the price breakdown of what package he is on, monthly fee of package, he actually told him at one point over the phone hes on the Digital Basic with Vip? what the heck does that mean? is that not d-vip?

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
^^^^
Mebe he made them an offer they couldn't refuse. ;-)

Actually, whenever I make an account change, I get an email outlining the details. Did he get one of those? It should show what packages he has.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. On my bill it shows that a second HDTV Specialty Channel Package has been added under Regular Charges after I got the new box - its shows on the receipt I got from the Rogers store (didn't notice it til I got home). Waiting for Rogers to respond. Must be just an error then. Thanks for Reply (also to alebowgm)

·
Registered
304 Posts
RT on channel 177

I just noticed for the first time that RT - Russia Today (like a Russian version of Al Jazeera English or Euronews or BBC World) is on channel 177, not just in the 800 w/ all the other third-language channels (channel 887). So I take it that it's part of the cable news package.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
RT is part of VIP, I believe. I had been watching this online but a cable feed is much handier. It can be a little goofy at times but it is a different point of view and nice to have yet another English news service. They have a bureau in Washington. The main thing is they have very limited resources and it's a bit on the "rookie" side. Al Jazeera English has a much more seasoned team of reporters, commentators and hosts. And likely a MUCH bigger budget.

·
Registered
815 Posts
It appears that this afternoon/evening RT is premiering a number of daily shows that will be broadcast live from their Washington bureau, including the 6pm "The Alyona Show" which is on right now and several half-hour news programs.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
HDTV Specialty Channel Package

Has anyone been able as of late to get Rogers to waive the HDTV Specialty Channel Package @ 8.95 for 100% of the cost. My 12 month promo came up and the best they would offer me is 20% off. I have had 100% off of it for the last 3 years (I just kept calling in to renew) and after talking to retention the girl said they no longer have the promotion to offer it at 100%.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Digital Basic vs Digital VIP

Currently I'm subscribed to Digital VIP. The thing is, I never, never watch any channel that isn't an HD channel, and I'm not a sports person, so I'm wondering if I should downgrade my service to Digital Basic and save myself ~ $30 / month. I'm beginning to think there's not much downside to downgrading my service. I don't think I'd be missing very much. Is there anything special I'd be missing without VIP?

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
How many outlets do you have? With VIP, you get 4 included. Don't forget, with digital, Rogers knows exactly how many are in use.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I only use 1 TV in my living room. I think I'll go ahead and downgrade. Since I got my HDTV, SD TV no longer holds any interrest for me at all. It seems to me VIP is mostly extra SD stations.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
alebowgm I'm finding the HDTV pack to be a good value at 8.95/month. Bell for instance has split all the popular HD channels into multiple smaller packs at $5 each. Makes it a lot more expensive to get it all.

The nature pack, on the other hand should not be charged more than a couple bucks..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Tivo to Rogers PVR -- any promotions?

I currently have three series 2 Tivos and just for the sake of simplicity, have started thinking about moving to a Rogers HD PVR.. except the price is aboslutly attrocious!

Does Rogers have any "unadvertised" promotions to switch from Tivo to a Rogers PVR?

I know i would miss the online scheduling features, but right now, i am missing the HD programming because we mostly watch Tivo'd shows.. which arn't HD... but am balking at $75 a month to upgrade ...

·
Banned
279 Posts
Currently I'm subscribed to Digital VIP. The thing is, I never, never watch any channel that isn't an HD channel, and I'm not a sports person, so I'm wondering if I should downgrade my service to Digital Basic and save myself ~ $30 / month. I'm beginning to think there's not much downside to downgrading my service. I don't think I'd be missing very much. Is there anything special I'd be missing without VIP?
I would downgrade to digital plus which gives you the majority of channels plus about 10 specialty channels.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.