Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rogers, one of Canada’s largest Internet providers, has upset many customers with a recent change in their network management systems. Since mid-September both up and downstream BitTorrent traffic has been severely degraded in certain areas, which goes against the company’s network management policy. In addition, the new throttling technology has also slowed down non-P2P traffic in many cases.

Starting at the end of September 2010, Rogers customers began noticing severe throttling of downstream P2P and non-P2P traffic. It was clear that something had changed, but none of the customers were made aware of these changes, and neither were many of the support employees.

previously discussed in this thread

·
Registered
833 Posts
The thing I find most annoying about this sort of throttling is they are doing it on top of the download caps and overage penalties. If there were no caps and they were providing a truly unlimited service then I could see a reasonable argument for throttling, at least during peak times. However, if they're going to charge you for the bandwidth you consume anyway then why is it any of their business how you choose to use up that bandwidth?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i agree 100% GROG.. If im BANDWIDTH CAPPED. LEt me suck back my cap as fast as my CAPPED SPEED will allow me.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In principle, I don't want an ISP restricting upload and download speeds, however, I do want my VoIP and gaming packets prioritized over my download packets so some type of network management is required.

The problem is that Rogers does not prioritize VoIP or gaming packets (a good thing), it simply discriminates against P2P traffic and apparently now on all downloading traffic.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Any consumer looking at amazing download speeds quoted in sales literature now has to accept that a little asterisk should be noting the following in small print at the bottom:
*As If!!! Good luck with that, suckas...

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Not a big deal according to Rogers’ lawyer, a simple change in the policy will quickly resolve the issue.

“We have determined our best response to this situation will be to update our ITMP disclosure on our website to reflect this new information. We are in the process of making those changes to our website and will provide you with the modified ITMP [traffic management policy] disclosure as soon as it has received approval by Rogers’ management,” he wrote to the CRTC.
Okay....Let me get this straight....

Hypothetically, if you signed up for roger's HSI, based on their existing policies at the end of August 2010, and bundled in your existing TV and wireless services (which may have automatically reset your contract dates), they can go ahead and change the policy, and NOT notify you? You are required to find an obscure website to find out the policy, and thus the terms of agreement, have unilaterally changed with no recourse?

Of course the Roger's Terms of Service is so craftly worded, that it doesn't constitute a change to your contract and thus they can charge you an early cancellation fee it you decide you don't like it.

from http://your.rogers.com/about/legaldisclaimer/TOS_Eng.pdf

17. We reserve the right to restrict, change, suspend or terminate your Service by any means if your access, use or connection to the Services, Equipment or our facilities is impairing or adversely affecting our operation or the use of our Services or facilities by others
Their own ToS states that they have to right to downgrade your service if your usage negatively impacts their system.

Essentially they are stating that all downloading negatively impacts their network. BS! Where's Michael Geist when you need him?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts