Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I currently live in a building with analog Rogers cable. I have a TiVo (Series 2) running both tuners with analog - Works great and I love it. I am moving to a new building where I will need to set up my own cable... I want to keep my TiVo with just regular analog cable.

Is this possible? I am even happy to pay for Digital Cable and receive analog cable - Anything to keep my TiVo running with two tuners.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,470 Posts
Provided the new building has analogue signals, then you'll be fine. I read in another post that some buildings don't have analogue service (something new to me). Be advised that this analogue service may not last much longer (say a year or two) as some smaller cable providers are already switching to 100% digital service.

·
Registered
22 Posts
TiVo TCD649080 Series 2 $49

This thread got me thinking and I did a bit of investigating. The TiVo TCD649080 Series 2 DT, the one that works in Canada, is only $50 in the U.S. compared to $190 here. I ordered one from amazon.com, and I'll pick it up in Ogdensburg next week.

The Series 2 is SD only with 2 analogue tuners, but will still work as a single tuner with an SD digital box. The service is $129 per year (no tax?).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes - The Series 2 is a lot cheaper in the US, which is thanks to the availablility of HD TiVo there.

I fear that I will need to give up my TiVo for Rogers/Bell PVR when I move... I have heard that Rogers will not sell me regular analog cable anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - I'm going to call Rogers and see what can be arranged... I am so attached to my TiVo that I am willing to forego HD and stick with Analog!

·
Super Moderator
56,470 Posts
You don't have to forego HD. You can use the TiVo to record the analogue channels coming to your home (they still come in with the regular digital service, but they would not come in if you were in a "digital only" condo for example) and get an HD STB/PVR to take care of digital/HD if you want to spend the money. Also, I believe the TiVo has an input which could accept an output from a STB/PVR. See the following link on recording from a STB:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76077

This may all change in late 2011 or 2012 if Rogers goes digital only system wide, or in various parts of their system, as analogue gets phased out. The analogue deadline for broadcasters is late 2011 and some providers may use that as impetus to limit or delete analogue service.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I think people can use Analog, but be aware this may eventually be not supported, and they may ask you to use a Digital STB down the road to convert signals to an analog output on channel 3/4 of the STB. or to RCA composite outputs. This has nothing to do with the OTA Digital switchover, but its happening the same time because cable BDU's are trying to phase out analogue broadcasting equiptment in favour of digital for cleaner signals and more capacity to the customer

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm hooked!

I picked up my new TiVo on Friday and spent yesterday setting it up and playing with it. I understand why some people are willing to forgo HD just to keep using TiVo. At this price I might get another one.

·
Registered
455 Posts
This may all change in late 2011 or 2012 if Rogers goes digital only system wide, or in various parts of their system, as analogue gets phased out. The analogue deadline for broadcasters is late 2011 and some providers may use that as impetus to limit or delete analogue service.
Yes, I am thinking Cable Companies will use this deadline as an excuse to phase out analog, rent/sell STB's and free up bandwidth for more VOD services and/or improve existing HD offerings. They will claim, using some kind of government mandated digital "spin", they have to phase out the analog channels on cable when in fact they do not. To customers that complain loudly enough they will offer 1 free SD box. If you were sharing your analog signal on several TV's you will be forced to buy additional boxes. Or I could be all wrong: Free HD PVR's to all customers and a discount for long time loyalty!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked up my new TiVo on Friday and spent yesterday setting it up and playing with it. I understand why some people are willing to forgo HD just to keep using TiVo. At this price I might get another one.
Do you have Rogers Digital Cable or legacy Analog service?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have "legacy" analogue basic. I had no problems keeping it through a recent move, or downgrading from digital VIP about a year ago. I plan to stay with it until Rogers forces me to change or I have to buy a new television.

Come to think about it, I suppose I have legacy computers, a legacy TiVo, and even a legacy car. Life is good on the trailing edge. :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Donèt worry about analog Cable. The only way the will have to change it to difital only is when the CRTC orders them to do so.

The only reason they push digital so much itès because it costs less for them to maintain. I mean each time you upgrade with analog a technician is required not with digital.

And a heads up but last time i called them they were offering analog basic at 14.95 for 6 months so i guess itès not dead...hehe

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I don't think it'll be the CRTC ordering them to do so. The competitive advantage of analog is dwindling, I can easily see Rogers only offering their basic package in analog and taking everything else digital.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well the CRTC plans to follow the american government and eliminate all analog, antenna, etc. signals by 2011. We have no date yet.

I firend of mine working at Rogers told me that as long as the CRTC would not force anyone it would stay the same.

But keep in mind that when you call in they will not offer it to you you will have to demand analog for now.

·
Super Moderator
56,470 Posts
Well the CRTC plans to follow the american government and eliminate all analog, antenna, etc. signals by 2011. We have no date yet.
It's not all analogue, it's only OTA analogue. Here's the thread on the topic and there is a firm date as indicated in post 1 and discussed often on this forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=90621

There's also the following post regarding Cable analogue in that thread, which has also had lots of speculation in this forum. Some (smaller) providers are already going all digital (in most cases providing one or more free digital STBs to their customers).

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=805389#post805389

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Thanks - I'm going to call Rogers and see what can be arranged... I am so attached to my TiVo that I am willing to forego HD and stick with Analog!
If you have a TiVo Premiere (maybe even a series 3??) and live near Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver, or a US border area, you can have SOME HD on your TiVo.

I use both of the coaxial connections - Rogers analog on the "cable" one and my Channelmaster antenna on the "antenna" one which gives me 19 OTA HD channels. The tuners on the TiVo seamlessly integrate all received channels and of course program guide data for all of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts