Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just sent a bill from Rogers for $650.00. I am on a wireless plan for 30gig =$60.00. The over use charge is to be $10.00 per gig to a max of a $100.00. They say they have changed the max to $500.00 and did not tell me. I home school three kids and wireless is our only option. Not sure what to do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So you used nearly 90Gig in one month? You must do an *awful* lot of downloading or streaming.
Were you routinely blowing your cap and just treating $130/month as "unlimited"? And were surprised by the increase in the max? Or is this the first time you've blown your cap?
If the latter, you may be able to appeal a reduction, and take steps to stay within (or close to) your cap. But if you've been routinely blowing your cap for some time, you're pretty much boned.
You may want to investigate other wireless options. Maybe you have Xplornet 4G WiMax in your area (not satellite though), which will let you buy packages with much higher caps (though possibly slower speeds). I'm on a 100GB/$100 plan, and only $2/GB overage (though I've never reached my cap).

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Check the terms of your agreement, there may be language in there about the overage charges. If they say the cap is $100, then it has to be $100. And even if it's not, you can probably convince them to let it slide for one month.

That said, if you continue to download 1500% your cap and not pay full overages, at some point they may decide to simply turn your service off. You need to find another option for an ISP, or find a way to reduce your usage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think we may have been over most months. We were using it as unlimited and paying 160.00 a month. It did not show what we were over. The app would also not show after we maxed our use. So we had no idea of the use. They changed it without saying anything. Wind is not outside the city. I am on a small island not to far from Nanaimo with no services. We do get cell phone reception. As far as I know the only two providers are Rogers and Telus.
Rogers provided this plan after changing from the old tower plans. They have now changed the bill, but are going with the 500.00 max over charge.
Can I get out of my contract because of them making this change? Not sure there is any other option for us though. The old system was for 30 gig but did not keep track of the overage and was $60.00. So we went from $60.00 to $160 but could live with that. Our New option is to not go over or pay as much as $650 a month tax in.

Three kids 30gig does not go far.
Any ideas would be a great help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Toronto
Not sure how 60gig over 30gig adds up to 1500% But yes lots of streaming. It doesn't help that all the news and even now youtube has constant commercials.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
As I said: read the terms of your agreement. If the overage cap is in there, Rogers can't change it, and changing it allows you to exit your contract. If it's not in there, Rogers probably has the right to change it.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The overage cap is not in the TOS. The overage cap is also supposed to be internal and was never intended to be disclosed to customers. Reps are supposed to tell customers that there is no such thing as an overage cap and that PPU charges apply once you go over. This only applies to wireless data services, the policy is different for cable internet.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Rogers should call people to let them know in advance if it looks like their using way more then their cap will allow in that month.
Don't they have a web page come up when you 75% and 90% of bandwidth cap? I also thought you could opt to get an email?

You must do an *awful* lot of downloading or streaming.
That is what I thought. Youtube uses about 500 mb per hour for 720p so 90 GB is close to 180 hours of Youtube streaming a month or six hours a day! That is a lot of music and cat videos!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Who streams six hours of HD video every day of the month? I hope you plan on dialing the quality and/or length down this month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts