Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking over at whats available on ROD(TV) vs ROD On Line. I notice quite a few differences.

My question is if they can offer certain programing on ROD On Line why can't they offer the same(programing) for ROD(TV)?

Because if you look at the ON line version Warner TV, Slice just to name a few are offered, yet you don't see them on ROD TV? Why is that?

Is this a sort of money grab? By that I mean with ROD it doesn't really cost you any thing really extra(unless its payed programing), but with the ON Line service you not only have "watch" what you select because this counts against your usage, so every time you select a program to watch its counted against your usage, plus if you have to pay for it?

I'd rather watch a ROD selection on large TV rather then on a small computer screen, and besides by watching it on TV rather via the net you save your usages for other stuff.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
As always, it's probably a rights issue. The programmes or channels may be available for on-line distribution, but not for TV, or vice versa. Also, HD and SD rights are negotiated (and paid for) separately.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd suspect it's simpler than that: as the OP mentioned they just want people to shift from RODTV to ROD online so that they eat up their bandwidth and pay huge overage charges.

·
Banned
41 Posts
to answer the question yes it is a rights issue as not all broadcasters want their content available online, and as for the bandwidth comment thats BS as you dont even have to be on your on internet to use it... can be accessed on the go aswell.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No its not?
Whether its at home or somewhere else you still need to sign into your Rogers account to access ROD On Line, there for it still counts useage on your Internet account useage alotment.

As for Rights issues I can't see the difference? If a company has the rights to the 'program' and such said program is on Rogers(cable), whats the difference if the program being on Rogers ROD on Line or ROD TV?

IE Slice?

is on Rogers cable so why can't they show it on ROD On Line as well as ROD TV?

Because if you look at RODTV they have History Television & History Channel both are on RODTV(although Hstory Television is the US one, you pay for content), that aside, if they can do that for History TV and the have other channels available on both services?

If your going to have

National Geographic
HGTV
FOOD
etc

on both services, why not have the others as well?

If you loo at whats available

ROD On Line has 72 channels available
ROD TV(includes TMN etc) has 42 channels available

Why the 30 channel differece? :mad:

If Rogers is given the content to show via there "Network" be it internet or cable why can't they show it on both services)all content available on ROD/RODONLINE).

This rights issue I don't buy? If Rogers has the channel on theiir cable system(and its a licience for Canadian carriage on cable) why can't they have it as part of ROD or a channel by itself IE FOOD,HGTV,etc. on their cable system.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Their are clauses in Contracts that allow for distribution on one platform and maybe not the other, for various reasons. Nobody knows what's in those contracts except the parties involved. The rights owners can demand anything they want, or perhaps prices that rogers may not want to pay. Who knows.

·
Banned
41 Posts
just because you have to sign in doesn't mean it uses your bandwidth, monthly allotment is service to the modem if your not on your modem how can you use your bandwidth....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts