Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i will give some background hopefully it can better assist you when answering my question.

Right now i live 5minutes outside Guelph, ON in Puslinch. We do not have cable, only wireless internet which recently came in 3-4 years ago.

We right away bought the Bell portable internet, and it sucked really badly. In the first 2-3 years we only ever got 1mbps max, maybe 2. Now were getting normally 2-3, however it will drop. Even though we get 2-3mbps, the internet is still slow, and unplayable for games.

We have 10gb maximum download, and for the last 3-4 years we have not ONCE gone over.

ONTO my questions.

We are thinking of getting the Rogers Rocket Hub, and purchasing the public IP to connect our 360 to it and game.

first question. I have heard that gaming through a cellphone tower internet connection can be bad because of high latency, any input on that? How high would the latency be?

second. 10gbs. Will that be enough download? I used to play my 360 a lot, like i mean a lot and never went over even with my bro downloading movies. I don't play as much anymore, and wonder if it still will be enough?

third question relates to the first.

I have heard if you game on the 3g internet you get high latency and a bad connection in-game. However, people told me if you purchase the static or public ip (whichever it is), that your latency will be fine and excellent for gaming.

What is the truth about that?

Thanks a lot for any responses. Appreciate any comments :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the Rogers hub , it worked good when i first had it , now it is slow as a snail . I would highly NOT recomend this wire less piece of garbage to anyone, unless the tower is in your back yard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahaha i tried it out for 3 days. Pretty decent and consistent speeds i could live with because the latency was hardly high like my bell rural modem right now.

BUT.... godamn data is a killer! i burned through 3gb in under 3 days. Our bell internet 10gb max never gets burned through... EVER!!! and i hardly played xbox as much i would lol.

So i returned the rocket hub, but the speeds werent too bad..

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
BUT.... godamn data is a killer! i burned through 3gb in under 3 days. Our bell internet 10gb max never gets burned through... EVER!!! and i hardly played xbox as much i would lol.
That does not make sense - why the extra data usage?

I have been considering a Rocket Stick, but if they are packing a huge amount of hidden data through the connection, it won't make sense.

hahaha i tried it out for 3 days.
I didn't know they would let you demo it for a few days. That has potential....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought the rocket stick back in the spring
Paid full pop for it used it for 30 days and
Cancelled the plan
I only needed internet when I was in the middle of
Georgian Bay for checking weather and surf a little bit
I would take my sim card from my Blackberry and put that
In the stick and I found this solution to be very good until
I found I could tether my Blackberry to my laptop and
No more swapping out the sim card
I had found the mobile stick to work quite well

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Rocket Hub and I like it a lot. My location is so bad, I was amazed when the hub worked as good as it does. The tower is about 4km on the other side of a very large hill at the back of my house. If I walk to the top of the hill, I can see the tower. I have hooked up an antenna mounted on the outside of my house with a 30 ft cable connecting the antenna to the hub. The Rogers and Bell sticks do not work here at all. I just ran Speedtest.net and get 191 latency, 1.43Mb/s download and .61Mb/s upload. The speed varies usually between .75 and 1.5Mb/s download. The latency is usually this bad or even worse. The hub also has a built-in wireless router so other devices can hook-up to my wireless network and this works great. I don't on-line game so I can't help you with that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
HaliburtonZeke (or others) - what is the policy on the HUB? I spend a lot of time, in the summer, in Wilberforce, which has spotty 3G service (often it fades away and comes back) on my iPhone 4. Friends have had the Rogers stick and it works solid. I am not sure if the HUB will work where I am or not. I am thinking of buying it outright since I won't use it every month. If I buy it and take it up on the weekend and it does not work well, can I return it and get a refund or am I stuck with it?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Some of my thoughts after having a Rocket Hub for just over a year now.

I went with the Rocket Hub because I needed a fixed 24/7 installation. If I did not require something powered on all the time for monitoring a cabin, I would have gone with a stick.

Check with wherever you buy it, I believe you have 15 days to return it, not sure if there is a data cap during that period. Nobody at Rogers will be able to give you a straight answer about reception at your location, you will just have to try it.

You will probably not get any different results than what you are getting with your iPhone unless you hook up an external antenna. At my location south of Edmonton I could not get better than 2G without an antenna when I first set up my Hub pointed at the closest tower to my location, approx. 7.6 Kms away. I am currently getting good signal from a tower 13 Kms away, which unfortunately also has the most traffic during the summer.

The Hub has its quirks, not the least of which is Rogers tech support, but it is still the best option I have. When you report to Rogers that you aren't getting 3G because the tower is overloaded, they will just tell you that the tower is too far away, or to remove the battery and restart the device, or that they will reset your network profile, or that you should point it to the west - even if there is no tower in that direction.

Since you already have an iPhone on Rogers, check out some of the discussion on the Rogers site in the Community Forum, and consider using some form of tethering or a shared data plan if it is just for occasional use.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My current family data plan does not allow tethering and changing to allow it will basically increase my bill about $40/month.

Since I noticed one of the sticks has always been solid, I figure my iPhone is just not as good at picking up weak signals. When it is time, I'll go check itt out in a store and see the current return policy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess the hub is not to bad, my neighbor has it and he has full bar's .( he is higher up) . I saw a external antenna on E-bay, and it looked like a directional tv antenna, $85.00 on e-bay, anyone use them?:confused:

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I am still pondering the purchase of the rocket hub too, I do not have 3g were i live only 2g. Normal internet very slow do to introduction of netflix, in the evenings. Internet provider said they are working on problem to handle influx of activity, 2 months now no change. So Rocket hub maybe, i don't think i will get better than 2mb download though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts