Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search on the Telus site but couldn't get clear info - does anyone have any experience with data charges in the US? We're heading south for a week & I'd like to find out how bad it will be if I use my Google Navigator when driving around.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks - not sure why I couldn't find that page ... then again, never mind ...

$3/MB - wow, that could sure add up ... makes me think I should keep the phone turned off except for when there's wifi available.

·
Banned
328 Posts
^ definitely shut off your data connection (I have learned that one the hard way with $400 in data charges). It doesn't cost anything to have your phone on if you are expecting calls/texts. Whenever I go to the US, I buy an unlimited US texting add-on for $20 and it is good for a month (only on TELUS), this is only needed if you have a newer phone using the 3G/HSPA network, texts using these phones will cost $0.60 each when in the US.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I would highly recommend unlocking your phone and buying a pay as you go SIM card down in the states. Save you a bundle of cash and you will still be able to use your phone how you want.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is an account setting to block roaming data automatically. I have it set on my account but I haven't tested it yet. I'm travelling to the US in 3 weeks so I'll find out soon. Could be an expensive test if it doesn't work. ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
tgreg said:
$3/MB - wow, that could sure add up
Sure can. Beats the old rate of $8/MB though. And it's better than Rogers which is a little over $6/MB. On a BlackBerry it's not all that bad, as they are really good at compressing data. Anything else, I'd exercise extreme caution if you plan on using data. Also TELUS offers a 30 day US data pass for $10 which drops your roaming rate down to $1/MB. If you plan on using more than 5MB you'll want to get the pass.

Hilman]Whenever I go to the US, I buy an unlimited US texting add-on for $20 and it is good for a month (only on TELUS), this is only needed if you have a newer phone using the 3G/HSPA network, texts using these phones will cost $0.60 each when in the US.
Very good point. To clarify a couple of things though:
-The $20 US text pass only makes your texting free if you already have a Canadian text bundle. Without one you'd pay $0.15 per text sent or received.
-The $0.60 per text rate is reduced by $0.15 to $0.45 if you have a Canadian text bundle.
-The point you made about it only being applicable on HSPA is correct for the time being, but TELUS has recently announced that they will start charging for CDMA texts outside of Canada in the near future, just like on HSPA today. This has been a great loophole for many years. I used to text for free on CDMA in the US as well as Mexico.

Also keep in mind that TELUS is the only one that charges for incoming SMS when you're out of Canada. The rest only charge for outgoing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yup, they did this a few months ago. They made some positive changes (international roaming beyond the US is only $10/MB instead of $25 that it used to be), but unfortunately they went in the wrong direction for US data roaming. Oh well.

Also there have been some updates from post 7 above. The $20 text bundle no longer reduces your roaming text rate to $0 if you already had a text package at home; now it only reduces the $0.60 rate by $0.15 to $0.45...and this is both sent and received which can add up quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts