Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
The bottom line is that it's still linear TV with on demand and "look back" as options. The more successful companies offering OTT TV are full streaming services with no ads and no short term limits on how long shows can be watched. I only tolerate linear TV due to having a PVR that lets me record and watch as a personal schedule permits.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi everyone, just saw the new post about River TV the service from V Media. Mostly Shaw channels it seems are avaliable but will be interesting to see if more come.

The most interesting part of this is based on the screen shots, it looks like they are using the same X1 software as the cable companies (Rogers, Shaw and Videotron). This is the same version Comcast uses to allows user to use their own hardware to watch X1 service.

Do you think that this service will help push the Cable companies in this direction which Bell already allows as it proves that the software is capable and this is not a licensing issue as we now have a provider doing this using this software / service.

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
VMedia Launches RiverTV - Canada's First Live and on Demand Streaming TV Platform!
(highlights from press release)

VMedia, Canada's leading independent telecommunications and broadcasting company, today announced the launch of RiverTV (www.Rivertv.ca), Canada's first live TV and on-demand streaming channel platform, featuring a bundle of over 30 channels with thousands of hours of original programming, for only $16.99 a month.

The RiverTV line-up offers a great mix of top-rated shows and movies on local Global TV stations, CHCH-TV, W Network, Showcase, Teletoon, YTV, Treehouse, HISTORY, Adult Swim, Family, Slice, Smithsonian Channel Canada, Crime & Investigation and many more. Subscribers will also enjoy unique new content with seven US live and VOD streaming channels that are bundled only on RiverTV - Cheddar, Drink TV, Law & Crime, Newsmax, Newsy, Real Vision and REVOLT, with more channels to be available in the upcoming months.

Subscribers will also be able to add 'a la carte' channels to the RiverTV package, including Hollywood Suite, i24NEWS and Nick+(coming soon), and many others to be added in the next several months.

Targeted at cord-cutting Canadians and those looking for a more affordable live TV solution, especially millennials and families with young children, RiverTV is available coast to coast. There are no cable-boxes or wires, and no hidden costs or fees - just instant access to a high quality collection of live and on-demand channels featuring news, lifestyle and entertainment, reality and children's programming. With a free trial period and no commitments, everyone who enjoys content over the Internet should experience RiverTV!

RiverTV is Canada's first virtual broadcasting distribution undertaking, or vBDU. Like conventional BDUs including VMedia TV and those operated by the major telcos and cablecos, RiverTV aggregates top specialty channels from leading Canadian programming groups including Corus, Blue Ant Media, Channel Zero and Wildbrain (formerly DHX), as well as a variety of US channels.

However, RiverTV is streamed and delivered over the Internet, available to any Canadian home with Internet service as easily as Netflix. This is an important distinction because conventional BDUs also have packages which can be streamed, like Alt TV, Pik TV and Ignite, but those services can only be subscribed for together with their own often costly Internet packages. RiverTV is available over any Internet service in Canada.

RiverTV can be viewed anywhere on most platforms of your choice including Roku players, Roku TV models, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Edition smart TV, Apple TV, iOS (mobile and tablet) and Android TV devices (including NVIDIA SHIELD and certain TVs manufactured by Sony, Sharp, Philips and more). Apps for Android mobile and a web-based service are coming soon.

Popular viewing features include Live TV Guide – for easy channel surfing; My TV – for quick access to favourite shows and on-demand content; Look Back TV – to watch previously aired content up to seven days back; Pause & Resume – which allows users to pick up where they left off, and Restart which allows users to go back to the beginning of a show already in progress. Shows can also be streamed on three devices simultaneously.

In addition, RiverTV is integrated with major platform search features such as Siri, greatly enhancing programming discoverability through electronic programming guides and On Demand catalogue integration.

First time users who sign up for RiverTV will receive a free trial to experience all the great shows and features RiverTV offers. There are no commitments; subscribers can cancel at anytime without penalty. Canadians can subscribe directly at www.rivertv.ca, on Roku devices or through the Apple, Amazon and Google Play app stores.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Looks like the Comcast X1 platform is being used based on the screen shots. Anyone thinks this will push Rogers/Shaw/Videotron to allowing you to use your own hardware? Clearly it can be done and licensing isn't the issue as Vmedia is doing this.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Looks like the Comcast X1 platform is being used based on the screen shots. Anyone thinks this will push Rogers/Shaw/Videotron to allowing you to use your own hardware? Clearly it can be done and licensing isn't the issue as Vmedia is doing this.

Thoughts?
Overall interface of RiverTv app is pretty good but channel selection is very poor especially when this service is provided to Canadian customers. It may change in the future with a la carte option that is coming. I have been testing this service for a month and I am not interested in RiverTv at the moment.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've been testing it too, the interface is great, but there was only 2 channels that interest me, mainly since they where not in my current digital cable subscription. And there on demand is very limited, barely any show at all. I'll probably wait to see what channels they will add in the future.

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
Looks like the Comcast X1 platform is being used based on the screen shots.
I doubt they are using X1. That's a very expensive, comprehensive and complex system designed to manage an entire cable company from end to end. They are probably using one of the OTT systems out there.

Does anyone who is testing the system know what platform they are using? If you have the app loaded, does the "About" tell you anything about the developer?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm just judging based on the screen shots and they are all the same as the Rogers app and the X1 boxes in regards to the menus (guide, on demand menu, DVR menu, etc.). Based on all of the images either they're committing copyright fraud for stealing the software or they are paying Comcast to use it because it's identical to X1.

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
RiverTV is definitely not using Comcast. I went to the Rogers site to see how close the resemblance was and instead found out that X1 doesn't even support Apple TV yet. They also don't support Amazon Fire TV and Android TV.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
RiverTV is definitely not using Comcast. I went to the Rogers site to see how close the resemblance was and instead found out that X1 doesn't even support Apple TV yet. They also don't support Amazon Fire TV and Android TV.
Vmedia has developed it’s own platform for their IPTV service and is using the same interface on RiverTv. As for the service itself it has no value to me. This service has no future unless Vmedia will add more popular channels like Canadian News and more specialty channels. Now it looks like this service has been created for american viewers.
I would like to see something like Sling Tv that was created for Canadian viewers.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts