1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://rivertv.ca/beta

Subscription (Beta) owned by Vmedia
Free trials will expire on May 31, 2020

During RiverTV's beta period, you will not be billed for service and payment information is not required.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
I tried to sign up for the trial, but it tells me "something went wrong". Maybe not available in my area (Kitchener)?!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Do you need to supply a credit card for this free trial? Is this service an IPTV service without requiring internet from Vmedia .

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I signed up with Hotmail.
No CC needed.
I have bell internet.
I downloaded the app directly on my Sony TV.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Most of the channels are owned by Corus and can be used with any internet provider similar to StackyTV

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sad that laptop/computer option is not available yet. But I do like that it stand alone, not requiring Amazon Prime like StackTV...

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
I took a look at the channel list last night and thought base lineup looked like STACKTV available through Amazon Prime Video Channels. (Related thread) There are a few differences - RiverTV took out Food Network and HGTV, then added Crime & Investigation, H2, Lifetime and MovieTime. I suspect the channels they removed cost more per sub than the ones they added.

They also have a few independent suppliers like Wildbrain (Family Channel); Blue Ant (Cottage, Makeful, Smithsonian, T+E) and Channel Zero (CHCH, Rewind, Silver Screen)

Note that this service is different than VMediaTV and does not meet the definition of a "Cable TV" service. It is available over the public internet to any subscriber in Canada and doesn't have to follow CRTC regulations for Cable TV.

Some Differences:

Cable TV is allowed to retransmit local OTA stations by the Copyright Act. RiverTV has to negotiate and pay for streaming rights for OTA stations like Global TV and CHCH. That's why you won't see ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX - they aren't licensed for distribution in Canada, but are allowed as OTA stations on CableTV. If RiverTV can't negotiate terms for CTV and CityTV, those channels can't be retransmitted.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
For now I would pick StackTV over RiverTV because I have PrimeTv anyways but the dealbreaker is HGTV and RiverTv is missing that one.
Overall though RiverTv looks like a good option and one more reason to dump cable tv. This is really a great option for people that have good OTA reception.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
@drdave
I just signed up for free trial and National Geographic channel is available. Too bad they dropped HGTV since it is one of most popular channels and Vmedia may be missing opportunity to get more customers because of that.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Why don't they offer some of the OTA sub-channels offered on most U.S. OTA feeds?? How about ION as well?

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
@bev fan Thanks for the National Geographic info. I was going by the printed list to do the comparison. I see the graphic is there. I corrected my post.

@Humbar ION TV would have to sign an agreement with RiverTV to stream their programs in Canada, but they can't do that, since they have licensed those programs for broadcast in the U.S. only.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
On their website RiverTV is announcing that more channels are coming. Curious if they are coming to the existing package or more packages may be available when they launch the service I guess in June.

·
Registered
706 Posts
They should also give you the option of pick 10 for $10 if you dont want the full package. Its either $20 or nothing which is pricey for the channels they are offering, not worth $20/month.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I agree, I compared two services and so far my choice would be StackTV.
It is less expensive and has channels that I want. On demand, StackTV has a lot more content as well.
On the other hand I like interface on RiverTV and that more channels may be available, so it is possible that in the future my preference may change.

·
705 Posts
I'm trying it out on my Roku and Amazon Fire TV.

The Law & Crime Network is a nice throwback to the old CourtTV with it's live trial coverage. I used to love watching that before it was re-branded.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts