Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CBC is going to shut down all repeaters in mantatory markets.So Barrie ,Paris,London all gone.The phones will be on fire when that happens.CBC will be a cable channel with a few transmitters and not a national broadcaster anymore.

·
Registered
290 Posts
As I posted several months ago, CBC's slogan can be "CBC, Canada's national broadcaster, only in select areas"... and, if the CBC proceeds to drop London's CBC repeater, Londoners should drop their tax dollars going to the CBC.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hopefully we can reduce some of that billion dollar gravy train going to the CBC, message to Mr. Harper cut, cut ,cut.

·
Registered
290 Posts
CBC should say Bye Bye to tax dollars

This article was published in the London Free Press a couple of weeks ago. Some text of the article has been removed to be relevant in this thread (see link for full article). I now agree with the premise of this article - let the Feds begin cutting money to CBC!!

CBC should say Bye Bye to tax dollars
Source: http://www.lfpress.com/comment/columnists/2011/01/12/16864196.html

The great annual tradition on New Year’s Eve in Quebec is to watch Bye Bye on the French CBC.

Almost every year since ’68, Radio-Canada has presented sarcastic sketches of the highlights of the year an hour before the year ends. The Bye Bye of 2010 was notorious not only for its strained jokes but for its authors’ blatant use of the show as a platform for their left-leaning biases.

We don’t know how many millions this specific show has cost us, since CBC/Radio-Canada is still before the courts challenging its obligation to submit to the access to information act. The fact is, many of us are sick and tired of paying $1.1 billion every year for public broadcasting that is one-sided. It is not the mission of CBC/Radio-Canada to use comedians to tell us how to vote, nor to denigrate private competition.

We should not just take this comedy lightly. More than 2.3 million viewers watched Bye Bye this year in Quebec. It is the most important production of Radio-Canada. It does have an impact.

Well, prime minister, the time has more than come to say bye bye to public funding of the CBC/Radio-Canada!

·
Registered
513 Posts
BCF,
One has to take in consideration that the author of the article is Eric Duhaime, a well-known right-wing activist in Québec who would cut every tax spending no matter what. That guy would only be too pleased to cut public spending in OTA.

·
Registered
451 Posts
snap01 - There is a CRTC ruling that sub channels will not be used in mandatory major market areas for Digital switchover implementation. This seems to have been universally agreed to and accepted and so some areas of the country may not have the two language OTA coverage. e.g. in Calgary here there will be no more SRC OTA (CBRFT-DT) service after the 31st August this year (or at least in the foreseeable future). Although since Calgary appears to be switching universally to UHF, I can't think that implementing both language services would equate to double the cost since the STL microwave link would be common and so would the antenna and feeder arrangements. Still the CBC/SRC perhaps, have not assigned their budget based on these factors then we have the present status quo. I bet myself that given a small digital transmitter/exciter and a couple of racks of plug in modules, the site engineers could rig up something that would broadcast SRC French DTV on Channel 16 here using the existing analog antenna!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Harper's been very upfront with his desire to kill the CBC. He's frozen and cut back their funding and now their digital transition and national coverage will be affected. The impact of these cuts is for people to demand further cuts since they can't meet their mandate. Harper: 1, CBC: 0. I'm not an unconditional defender of either side, but if blame is going to be slung around let's at least get all the facts in the open. Given Canada's low population density and great area, to expect full OTA coverage to be commercially viable is unrealistic. Add to the mix the increased competition from internet, satellite, and cable TV distribution and on-demand features, OTA's viability as a distribution industry could be relegated to a niche role. The CBC's in the unique position to take these hits on the chin much harder than any of their competitors. If national coverage is going to be a government policy, a different form of free distribution may be the solution.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I bet that the Harper government is very prepared to accept the proceeds from the sale of the upper portion of the UHF sprectrum previously occupied by OTA analog TV. So it now appears that free cable/satelite CBC/SRC distribution and free HD local access are required with national coverage. Interesting - I wonder if it will fly? Maybe HD DTV can be injected and distributed around the power grid nationally?

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Add to that Lethbridge, Saskatoon, Quebec City, Rivière-du-Loup, Rouyn-Noranda/Val d’Or, Saguenay, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières, St. John and Moncton.
And in French: Good-bye to SRC OTA in Calgary, Lethbridge, Saskatoon, Windsor, Charlottetown, Fredericton, Halifax, St. John's NL.
I'm starting to wonder if this is totally to do with CBC's inability to send local HD signals to distant (non-local) OTA transmitters — and not some move to spite large portions of the country.
I bring this up because of their recent decision to eventually stop sending OTA signals to their current Saint John-Fredericton transmission site and cover only Fredericton instead.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think that it will be correct to say that Canada will no longer have a national broadcaster. The word "Broadcaster" does imply the use of the terrestrial air waves (the way I understand it at least)! The new wording will be something like "Canadian Distributed TV and Broadcast Radio services Corporation" (possibly exclusively available to paying members of the public only!). Presently available free of charge in select areas only to those with the appropriate receiving apparatus!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
CBC gets $1.2B per year. Wow, the government is just strangling them with cutbacks!!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've determined that there are 12 English and 13 French transmitters that are immediately endangered. Of the English ones, 7 are outside Quebec, and of the French ones, all are outside Quebec.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
CBC management has lost it's way in DTV Transition

Did you know that the CBC has been a charter member of the ATSC for almost three decades, and that Anthony Caruso of the CBC is on the ATSC Board Of Directors? CBC engineers and staff have been involved in DTV in North America from the very beginning. Props and gratitude to the CBC's engineering staff and DTV advocates for their fine work and also for their participation at this site. :)

In the intervening years, it seems to me that from such an excellent start the CBC's optimism and energy towards DTV have gradually dwindled, so that while the engineering staff have actually been doing a terrific job with the CBC's DTV transitions, the management and executive structures have shifted priorities away from it and left a confusing mess. As noted in this thread and in the media, those responsible at the CBC are not complying with demands to inspect their budgets and economic priorities.

I was looking forward to a CBC DTV transition that would be the flagship and benchmark by which other networks would be measured. To my great disappointment the CBC's executive policy decisions towards DTV are having the effect of turning their transition into a cheap and dirty embarrassment to the mother corp.

Consumers want DTV, but to me it is clear that CBC management refuses to either acknowledge that demand or to listen to those who raise the issue. The notion of large Canadian cities like Moncton and London not having CBC DTV stations is absurd.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I wouldn't classify Moncton as a large Canadian city. People keep telling us that the Greater London area has around a million people. All of New Brunswick doesn't have that many. The Moncton area has about 125,000. Be nice to have digital transmitters in the small Canadian cities though...

Mark

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Moncton is a large population centre by New Brunswick standards, therefore is suitable for proper CBC coverage. That's a minor point though and not what I'm focusing on, which is the general sense of malaise that seems to come from the CBC top brass regarding the DTV transition.

·
Registered
747 Posts
According to CKVR Barrie application. CFPL-DT London has a population count of 1.4 Million.

All the other London repeaters stations have a count of about 650 thousand.

Read ya l8r,
Al

·
Registered
379 Posts
All the other London repeaters stations have a count of about 650 thousand.
And, fortunately a large part of the other 750K in the CFPL coverage area outside the CBLN area will still be served by the Sarnia, Chatham, Wingham, and Normandale CBLN transmitters, CBLT Toronto, and CBET Windsor, even if only by outdoor antenna.

If I recall correctly, CBLN 40 has the largest coverage area of all the London UHF signals.

Moncton is a major enough Canadian city for me to have a full-power CBC DT signal. Population of the metro area is over 100K.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Consumers want DTV, but to me it is clear that CBC management refuses to either acknowledge that demand or to listen to those who raise the issue. The notion of large Canadian cities like Moncton and London not having CBC DTV stations is absurd.
Maybe we have a different definition of DTV but doesn't it mean Digital Television? And can't you get them from cable or sat? Do you mean that consumers want OTA DTV?

And when you say "station" would that mean an actual station that produces content, at least local news, etc and not just a transmitter that repeats a signal from another city. If that is the case then London hasn't had a CBC station since Sep 4, 1988 when CFPL-TV stopped being a CBC affiliate.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts