Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ripper Street aired ep1 in the UK last night- on Space on Jan 19th.

I loved it! The casting and production values are excellent. The BBC really did a great job with this one. Matthew MacFadyen (MI5 etc) playes the lead detective in London, trying to avoid the shadow of failing to catch the ripper!

Catch this one!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I am not clear on why this is on Space. There does not seem to be any supernatural, SciFi, cyberpunk, or other connection with what one expects on Space.

As much as it seems to be a very well done portrait of Victorian England's underbelly, it belongs on BBC Canada/America, not on Space.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ I agree, but being on Space means a pretty good HD feed, so no complaints here!

Episode 2 builds on the excellent first episode, the characters get a little more backstory and the arc continues.

The 'Copper' comparsion is a good one; except I wold argue that this is so much better than Copper.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
^^^ I agree, but being on Space means a pretty good HD feed, so no complaints here![
I don't want to dis on a good show, but Space has a mandate - and we don't get enough of the types of shows that fit within that mandate, IMHO.

I would rather see Ripper on another network with good HD, and a SciFi, Fantasy, etc show of equal quality on Space.

Yeah, I know, what a dreamer..... ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't want to dis on a good show, but Space has a mandate - and we don't get enough of the types of shows that fit within that mandate, IMHO.

I would rather see Ripper on another network with good HD, and a SciFi, Fantasy, etc show of equal quality on Space.

Yeah, I know, what a dreamer..... ;)
Time travel ??

·
Super Moderator
16,413 Posts
According to this article, season 2 of Ripper Street will air in 2 months on BBC America. Last year Space and BBC America aired it at the same time. If I see a press release from Space, I'll post it here.

·
Super Moderator
16,413 Posts
Ripper Street Un-Canceled, 3rd Season To Premiere On Amazon Prime Instant Video

Millions of Ripper Street fans set to be delighted as Amazon commissions a third season of the critically-acclaimed period crime drama, exclusively available in the UK on Amazon Prime Instant Video, followed by broadcast on the BBC.

Amazon will commission from the producers, Tiger Aspect Productions and Lookout Point, a third series of Ripper Street, with brand new episodes made available exclusively to Amazon Prime Instant Video members. The series will continue to be co-produced in the US by BBC America and will screen on BBC1 a few months after it is available on Amazon in the UK. It will be distributed globally by BBC Worldwide. Filming will begin in May 2014, signaling Amazon's commitment to the production of one of last year's most highly regarded series, in a move that is sure to delight Ripper Street's huge global fan base.

Press release.

The show will be distributed globally by BBC Worldwide, so it might be available on a Canadian channel.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hi everybody the new Ripper street starts tonite on BBC in the US but I don't see it in Canada, maybe Space will show it later?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts