Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Visually these look, at least to me, more like the Bold 9000 than the more recent Blackberry models. I actually preferred the Bold 9000 to some of the subsequent models such as the Bold 9700 as it was slightly wider and had a slightly bigger screen - the downside was the mechanical scrolling ball which jams up.

I don't see the advantage in making the device narrower when it makes typing harder and give you a smaller screen. Does the marginally smaller screen make the device more portable? Not for me. But the bigger keys are better. The biggest downside of the Torch, my current BB, is the even smaller keyboard and recessed keys.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i agree, my wife has the Bold 9000, and i think it has the best keyboard of any device, and it looks like they are going back to it for the 9900. My Torch keyboard is brutal.

What i don't lik is that BB OS7.0 is not going to get upgraded to old devices, even the TOrch?? thats crazy, a phone that is even a year old is not upgradeable?? Another miss for BB.. whose running that company..???

Over all i like the 9900, like someone said in a note today, "this should have been released instead of the torch a year ago.."

Now where is the Storm 2? and how are they going to screw that up???

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
You're being a bit too hard on the Torch as it does have its advantages - I do like the larger screen, especially for web browsing. But I worry about how long I have until the slider doesn't slide very well any more or falls apart.

·
Registered
160 Posts
yes the screen is larger, but not very good compared to other phones out there(i thinkis its like 480 X 320?? )

I think we will see a much better torch announced this week too.. unfortunately for the ones who bought the 1st gen were screwed.. i am going to dump mine asap..(oh i guess BB marketing is working..lol)

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Maybe the solution is to carry a BB plus a PB(PlayBook) then you won't need a larger screen on your BB.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If i could get my employer to spring for one i would be game..lol.

I might still get one anyways, from what i am reading its not too bad.. no worse than any of the other apple clones out there..

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think they're going to have to offer people a guarantee that these will be upgradable to the QNX release when it comes, otherwise I can't see people voluntarily buying these.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Unbelievable. I need to pickup a new phone for work, and if it wasn't bad enough a 1yr old Torch is the best I can get, now I read that the OS won't even be upgradeable. By the time a 3yr deal is up, this Torch will be so out of date.

Grrrrrr, should I switch to an Android phone without a keyboard??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts