Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

RIM may stop producing current PlayBook: report

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I don't understand corporate book-keeping, but I read (or heard on a podcast?) that it could be that RIM and HP both released "less than complete" tablets this year so that each company could take a write-down on the cost of development while they continue to work on their "real" release to come out next year.

Again, I don't understand the financials, but would a company really risk putting a bad taste in the public's mouth with a dud of a product, hoping that they could win them back with their "killer" version that's "in development"?

#6 ·
The thing that bugs me is that they keep trying to get into different markets, from the playbook, to that media player. Yet, their newest phones hardware are comparable to other competitors. Why bother with a different market, if you're struggling with your main market.

#8 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the Playbook not work seamlessly with a Blackberry device's cellular connection (via Bluetooth)? Since most Playbook owners likely also own a Blackberry, why would a cellular-equipped Playbook be necessary for most users?!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.