Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
This will be interesting to see if it does happen. IMHO Blackberries are far superior to iPhones if your primary requirement is for a portable email device. I prefer typing on a my Blackberry Bold 9700 to my iPad as I make far fewer typos.

But Apple is better than RIM when it comes to media, browsing, etc. I believe Apple's vulnerability is in the closed nature of their devices and apps but RIM is unlikely to be any better in this regard. Therefore Apple's competition is more likelu to come from Android based devices.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I believe Apple's vulnerability is in the closed nature of their devices and apps but RIM is unlikely to be any better in this regard. Therefore Apple's competition is more likelu to come from Android based devices.
Yup, following in the footsteps of the remarkable success of Linux among desktop PC users, which completely decimated the closed natured Windows, the mobile phone Linux will come and take over the tablet business.

/sarcasm off

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
not to nitpick (or possibly to exactly do that) decimate would mean they'd take 1:10 of the desktop market

I think the blackpad will do just fine, and will likely be more readily adopted in the business world

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why I can't see buying a IPAD in the near future. No webcam, no SD support, no USB support, no flash support and Steve Jobs wants to be my father. No thanx Steve I can decide for myself how I want to use the device.

If somebody can meet my needs, I'm sold.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Blackberry's have virtually no apps. I can't imagine what the Blackpad will do for business users? I think RIM is in deep do-do.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Here's how RIM is going to botch this, IMHO:

• No broad media support, like the iTunes music store where you buy practically any book, song, movie or television episode
  • Overcharged app store. RIM apps are consistently less featured or far higher priced. They have a self-induced delusion that their brand fetches a premium over iOS or Android.
  • Their sweet spot is still corporate devices, and corporations are not looking to outfit their masses with premium devices like a BlackPad. The higher end executives, maybe, but they will opt for Apple because of its established brand image and 'cool factor'
  • By November, Apples media machine will already be leaking fantastic whimsical tales of the next-gen iPad, which will surely outmuscle the BlackPad.
One area they might find some success in is with Verizon wireless. Apple had been able to forgo having to design a device for older, legacy networks in the absence of any competition. As the sun sets on CDMA, they probably still won't want to waste resources on that, but maybe RIM can swoop in and scoop up those customers who are unaware of where the market is going.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Yup, following in the footsteps of the remarkable success of Linux among desktop PC users, which completely decimated the closed natured Windows, the mobile phone Linux will come and take over the tablet business.

/sarcasm off
Actually Windows is very open compared to Apple. If Windows was as closed as an iPad then all Windows applications would have to be approved by Microsoft and you could only buy applications from the Windows app store. At least with Windows you can install any app you want, including open source apps, and you can pay every type of media file under the sun.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I assume that you know you must compare Windows with MacOS, not with iOS, right?
My point is that I don't see a very promising market for fully blown PC based OS-s like Windows 7, Mac and Linux for tablets. These are for notebooks. There have been tablet pcs in the past and they failed big time. The seemingly old, but actually new segment where the iPad claimed its stake, will be a highly portable/mobile device mostly for browsing and media based apps - perfectly serviced by iOS, Android, BB OS, an possibly Windows Mobile 7. Not Windows 7, or Linux.
In general, I see the future of the Linux port to mobiles (Android) right where Linux is against Windows/Mac right now in the PC world. Therefore Apple's competition is not likely to come from Android based devices.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I've never really considered Android to be a straight Linux port...it is a ground-up OS for mobiles.

I'll take the opposing viewpoint. I think Android and iOS are absolutely the mobile battelground of the future.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'm not talking about the nature of its programming code when I call Android a "Linux port". It's more about the alleged "openness" and "free" stuff that always ends up more expensive, and the rest of the Linux lingo, which together with the mixture of hardware platforms, versions and less than perfect quality control (hardware and app wise) may lead to Android crumbling under its own weight, leaving it with a share similar to the Linux market share in the PC world. At least that's what I have deducted from the recent history of operating systems, things might change radically some day. :)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
android has two things going for it that linux never did

insanely deep pockets, and the undying love of the majority, not just the tiny percentage of nerds who hated windows

1 - 17 of 17 Posts