Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Agreed 100%. I'm tired of the 'iPhone Killer" label being attached to almost any smartphone release now. Heck, I'm tired of the "product killer" being attached to any product, since it implies that it's the one device that's perfect for everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only iPhone killer is the next iPhone. As much as I like mine, I realize that it isn't a Blackberry or Android killer either.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Iphone Killer label came from the article title. It's not my label. That being said, how do we know it's not a Iphone killer?

Seeing a Canadian company excel is wonderful. I hope they pull it off. We shall see.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
We're coming up to a decade and we still haven't seen an iPod killer.

Maybe if companies stopped trying to compete and instead tried to be creative, they'd come up with something unique.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of existing phones match the Iphone, they just don't get the press. I doubt the Iphone has been out for a decade.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Lots of existing phones match the Iphone, they just don't get the press. I doubt the Iphone has been out for a decade.
A decade since the iPod.

I realize many phones/mp3 players are as good, if not better than Apple products. But there still hasn't been a single product in the eye of the media & mainstream consumer that beats it.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Assuming that the phone hardware and OS functionality is roughly similar, it's all about apps now. The iPhone was a solid performer when introduced but really exploded when the App Store was unveiled. Google phones started to take off when their marketplace became a serious contender to the App Store and the lack of popularity of Palm's store is probably a big reason why webOS phones haven't gone anywhere. Hope RIM has this figured out.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
webos is on hold until HP does something with it. Since HPs WIN7 tablet is dead a webos tablet is very doable soon.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
as much as I like my BB, I don't think it'll have an iPhone killer. As long as the apps cost that much and so very limited selection is available. At the very least I will use my BB for phone and messaging but still hang on to my iPod Touch for the rest.

Now if only I can figure out how to tether my BB via BT to mu iPod Touch.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I hope they announce that OS6 availability for current phones. My last BB upgrade was only two weeks ago (to a 9700) and I'll be awful disappointed if I'm stuck with that crappy browser for another 18 months. (my typical upgrade cycle).

Of course, even if it is announced, RIM doesn't bypass carriers like Apple does for FW updates. It could be months before Rogers or Bell decide to authorise it for their handsets.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I wish these threads would get started to talk about the product being launched rather than the fact that it will hopefully "kill" the iPhone or Apple, for that matter.

With all due respect, James99's hatred for all things Apple is getting old and tiresome. Can we please talk about the RIM product itself, such as what might make it better than other phones out there?

I'm an iPhone 3G owner and will soon upgrade to the iPhone 4, but I' still interested to know what RIM has up its sleeve because I value competition in the marketplace and I appreciate how every manufacturer strives to beat others.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
RIM has officially taken the wraps off of the BlackBerry Torch slider, along with the BlackBerry 6 software.

Webkit browsing, universal inbox, Wi-Fi sync (including music). Time will tell how well this device does, but it does appear to be headed in the right direction in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Not sure about carrier billing for apps. My company buys the phone and gets the monthly bills but any app purchases are our own responsibilty.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
As long as the apps are crazy expensive compared to iPhone apps (between 200%-600% more), and with such tiny and useless selections, iPhone will always win.

Ps: I'm not an iPhone ******, I'm a BB user for 3 years now but their apps just sucky and expensive.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts