Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
RIM Announces Retail Channels for BlackBerry PlayBook

Waterloo, ON - Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced plans to make the highly-anticipated BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet available in more than 20,000 retail outlets in the U.S. and Canada.

“The BlackBerry PlayBook is an amazing tablet that is already being widely praised as a multi-tasking powerhouse with an uncompromised web experience and an ultra-portable design,” said Mike Lazaridis, President & Co-CEO, Research In Motion. “Given the high level of customer interest in the BlackBerry PlayBook, we are particularly pleased to be working with such an amazing lineup of retail partners.”

The BlackBerry PlayBook delivers professional-grade, consumer-friendly experiences that redefine the possibilities of mobile computing. This ultra-portable tablet looks and feels great, measuring less than half an inch thick and weighing less than a pound. It features a vivid 7-inch high-resolution display that is highly-responsive with a fluid touch screen experience. It also offers industry leading performance, uncompromised web browsing with support for Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1, true multitasking, HD multimedia, advanced security features, out-of-the-box enterprise support and a robust development environment.

The BlackBerry PlayBook with Wi-Fi will be available in three models and will feature a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) starting at $499 in the United States and Canada. The lineup of retailers and wireless carriers currently expected to carry the BlackBerry PlayBook in the United States and Canada includes the following companies*:

United States

AT&T
Best Buy
Cbeyond
Cellular South
Cincinnati Bell
Office Depot
RadioShack
ShopBlackBerry.com
Staples
Sprint
Verizon
BlackBerry from Wireless Giant

Canada

Bell
Best Buy
Chapters / Indigo
Costco
Future Shop
Mobilicity
MTS Allstream
Rogers
Sasktel
Sears
ShopBlackBerry.com
Staples
Telus
Tbooth Wireless
The Source
Videotron
Walmart
WIND Mobile
WIRELESS etc.
WIRELESSWAVE

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do they have lots of apps available for this tablet yet?

I just read the rumors that it may be compatible wirh Android apps.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I just searched Blackberry App World with Playbook and found about 60 native apps and none of them looked very interesting.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just read the rumors that it may be compatible wirh Android apps.
The android rumour started a few months ago. In Barcelona last month the RIM rep said in a presentation that it would Android. When asked to confirm RIM has said no comment.

On another note, I pre-ordered the 32GB version this AM from BB. Only bad news, I'm on holidays when it comes out.

Since OS 6.1 is coming out with wifi tethering, it should be available before launch though my bluetooth tethering works fine.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
james99, what made you chose the Playbook?

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
7" was the main reason. I've played with larger tablets and found the size too awkward (except 7" Galaxy which I thought was perfect).

The apps I have for my Blackberry phoner are fine. I know RIMs app store will never have the volume, compared to Android or Apple but everything I need, I found.

I also have issues with how Apple controls its content. It's a business practice I don't agree with (though that's a different discussion).

I'm disappointed the Playbook doesn't have MicroSd though.

Reviews of this device, from day 1 are glowing.

I'm also looking at the new Samsungs that are coming out later this year. They have thin 8.9" and 10.1" displays so I might go that route as well.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
In your other discussions you seemed to like the 7" form factor so I figured you were going for the Playbook or the Galaxy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm also looking at the new Samsungs that are coming out later this year. They have thin 8.9" and 10.1" displays so I might go that route as well.
I have a few problems with those, because of the revamp the launch date is now Jun 8 for US which means early July for Canada. In August we will hear about way better Quad Core tablets coming out at Christmas...

And then there is Samsungs TouchWhiz, its pretty much bloatware, of course some people might like what it offers but you need to take into account that honeycomb updates will take a lot longer because they need to make sure the 2 play nice with each other. Samsung is already horrible with updates to begin with!

I do love their weight and slimness tho and kudos to them adding a MicroSd slot. Shame on degrading the cameras, 2mp & 3mp? really guys? Ok now im getting carried away, someone start a GalaxyTab thread lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
just preordered mine from staples.ca. used some coupon codes to knock $55 off the price so it came to a couple bucks over $500.

chose the playbook because i have a bb phone and that im not familiar with apple products and didnt want to be hooked to itunes (if that is the case). the smaller size also was a factor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I liked the 7inch form factor as well but mostly for weight savings. For me a tablet is a pc in my purse. I love the idea of rim and others doing tablets that support flash. I am hoping the playbook will be a bit more grown up and reliable than Android. The only thing that stopped me from getting it was the lack of 3G. I dont want to tether a tablet. I want to get rid of the cellphone all together. We have also cancelled the cable.

For me if I want to communicate on the go instant messaging works best. I can Skype out if I desperately want to make a voice call and the apps let you stream tv content and movies straight to your tablet or tv.

By keeping control of the software, ui, hardware and AppStore in my view RIM has the best chance of offering real competition to Apple.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I think the form factor is very much dependent on what you want to do with your device.

The smaller size has little advantage for me since its usually used at home, in the car or while sitting waiting for my son at the hockey rink so I'm not worried about the weight or the fact that it won't fit in my purse/pocket.

For me the tablet is all about watching tv shows and movies, reading books and magazines, consulting the family calendar, web surfing playing games and using it as a Sonos/iTunes controller. For these activities, screen real estate really makes a difference so I'm 99% sure my next tablet will be a 10" type screen (so HP, Motorola or Apple).

I think it will be interesting to see how consumers respond. I'm sure there's a market for both sizes, just a matter of which is the bigger market!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just announced that the Playbookk will have access to all Android 2.3 apps thru a seperate player... this might sway me now over to the playbook..
This gives the pLaybook +20,000 apps at launch...

Does the playbook wifi have the ability to use a Blackberry phones data plan thru Bluertooth?? that would be another plus so i wouldn't have to wait for the 4G model.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can tether via bluetooth from phone to tablet. In addition OS 6.1 will offer wifi tethering.

·
Registered
160 Posts
So i have a BB Torch, when does OS6.1 come out? what is the differance between wifi tethering and bluetooth tethering? Larger range i assume?

My BB is a work phone will it need a special data package or permission to do wifi or bluetooth tethering??

thanks

·
Registered
815 Posts
I plan on getting a Playbook, primarily based on compatibility with my blackberry and on its size.

However, I haven't decided which one to get yet. I currently don't have a smart phone (beyond my older BB which I will probably replace this year) or tablet. How much storage space does one require on a tablet? How big are apps? What uses up space on a tablet?

I'm inclined to default to the 64G model but is that way more than is needed?

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This was my line of thought. I picked up the 32gb in case the 16gb was too small. It doesn't have MicroSD so you need to make the right choice from the start.

I thought the 64gb might be overkill and will use the extra money to buy a nice case, etc.

How full the device gets probably has a lot to do with how much external data (music, photos, etc.) you're planning on copying over.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think the Playbook is the best pad option, and I would probably suggest the one with the biggest size (64gb). I just hate the fact it doesnt have any SD/MicroSD slots, than again, microUSB = external HDD?

A guy at staples told me he's gotten preorders from people who intend on making this their main PC, and that don't already have a laptop. I would hate to be limited to how much data I could hook into my main system. Having only 64gb's runs out fairly quick, especially with movies.

I'd probably pick it up, but I have a laptop, maybe wait off until the next version or when they get a little cheaper.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Press release today that Indigo is offering them on Pre-order.

I wonder if Loblaws and Shoppers will be carrying them next!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts