Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ricky apparently missed the memo that this was not a Friars Club roast. Wow - did he ever go after some people.

Gawker (despise them or hate them) had a decent summary of his greatest hits:
1) Starting Off with a Bang

Host Ricky Gervais began tonight's broadcast with a biting—and immediately controversial—monologue, which targeted stars like Charlie Sheen, Angelina Jolie, Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise, John Travolta, and more.

Holy wow. Ricky Gervais, the host of tonight's Golden Globes, just opened the show with one of the most unrelentingly harsh and uncomfortable monologues in awards show history-there was even a Tom Cruise/John Travolta gay joke!
and
After Gervais poked fun at Robert Downey Jr.'s former drug problems while introducing him, Downey shot back by saying, "Aside from the fact that it's been hugely mean-spirited with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the vibe of the show is pretty good so far."
Everyone thought he was joking in the interviews promoting the show when he said that he was surprised to be invited back to host this year, so he was going to make sure that this didn't happen again.
I guess not.

Where do you stand? Was he funny? Mean? Both? Crossed the line?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I think they got what they paid for: a host that would deliver headlines and keep the Golden Globes in the media spotlight.

I think he was both funny and mean. That's not a bad thing in a business that often takes itself far too seriously.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I just watched the monologue. It was typical Ricky Gervais humour. What did they expect, a nicer, gentler Ricky because it was the Golden Globes?

·
Registered
659 Posts
He pushed it when he took a pop at Bruce Willis, and then the Chair of the foreign press needing help onto the stage. Needless to say he won't be invited back anytime soon

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
He did a great job. Yesterday's USAT had plenty of great feedback from the actors that where there.

He has already decided he's not coming back.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I thought he added some spice to the an otherwise boring awards show. So he picked on a few people - not like we didn't know all this stuff about them anyways. He wasn't giving away secrets or revealing things about the "stars" that were kept hidden.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
I can't believe that Ricky Gervais had the nerve to joke about the hidden sexuality of celebrities who believe humans are infested with the souls of evil space aliens.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I saw most of the GG clips, heard most of the reactions from actors that were mentioned in his "jokes" and watched Gervais on Morgan (CNN) last night.

I think Hollywood foreign press must have known what they were going to get when they offered him the gig.

I do, however, have a problem with him saying that his humour appeals to the intellect and not the emotions. Gervais' humour was mean spirited and the only way it could have been considered funny was precisely because it was hurtful. Not sure how he can dissociate that from the "emotional".

Jerry Seinfeld or Ellen Degeneres have what I would call "intelligent" humour. Their jokes tickle the brain, make you think.

Gervais saw an opportunity to gain a lot of exposure by turning every cheap tabloid rumour into what he calls a joke. He wanted to shock, insult and offend. He came off as Mr. Blackwell meets TMZ, which isn't exactly a recipe for what I'd call genius comedy.

Defending it as "harmless" afterwards is hypocritical and that's where I take issue.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
The point that Gervais was making was that just because certain people were offended, doesn't mean they're right.

To call-out the HFPA for allegedly taking bribes for nominating and awarding lesser performers and films isn't being hurtful, it's being frank. It doesn't make the HFPA right.
To call-out celebrities for their indiscretions isn't being hurtful, it's reminding them that they're people too and that they are only celebrities because certain people allow themselves to treat them as such, and should not be considered as role-models. It doesn't make celebrities right just because they're weren't expecting to be ridiculed.

For the HFPA to hire Ricky Gervais 2 years in a row knowing the kind of material he is known for, and then say that they were offended afterwards is the greater hypocrisy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
For the HFPA to hire Ricky Gervais 2 years in a row knowing the kind of material he is known for, and then say that they were offended afterwards is the greater hypocrisy.
This is pretty much how I feel. You got exactly what you asked for. None of them expected him to pull his punches which we all know is great for ratings.

I've seen only one of Gervais' stand up routines and I'm sure he insulted about 15 types of people just in the first 5 minutes. If you didn't like the intro, now is your time to leave.

On a side note, I also thought De Niro's speech had some nice jabs also.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
The joke he made about Charlie Sheen may not be taken as brilliant at face value, but if you think about what it is he's really saying, which I took it as though he was attacking those casting judgement on Charlie Sheen when they themselves are guilty of the same behaviour, was brilliant. In other words, he was attacking the hypocrisy of the Holloywood establishment for enabling Charlie Sheen's behaviour, judging him for it, but not really condeming it, was brilliant.

His joke at the expense of Robert Downey Jr., wasn't sourced from any tabloid material. It was the truth in so far as he is as famous for being a good actor as he is notorious for having a troubled past that thankfully he seems to have left behind. However, if those deeds weren't a matter of public record, then it would have been inappropriate. But they are, so they're not.

His joke about Tim Allen was plain brilliant because, yes, compared to Tom Hanks his accomplishments are zero. He's just riding the success of the Toy Story franchise. In other words, if not for Toy Story, Tim Allen's name wouldn't even be muttered in the same sentence as Tom Hanks. That's an honest (and correct) opinion. As were many of the jokes he offered against those who take themselves far too seriously.

But it really comes down to the fact the HFPA knew what they were getting into with Ricky Gervais, and his performance garnered them the ratings and water-cooler chat days afterwards that they never would have gotten if they hired someone who would have played it safe.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Ricky Gervais' talent is in taking the mundane and making it sound funny. He succeeds at that. If you want something more, look elsewhere.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought Ricky was great.
As Piers Morgan said, the material has its background in typical British humour, especially the kind that evolved out of the Goon Show lampooning the establishment of the day and the BBC trying to stifle them, after came the brilliant David Frost interviews where on stage, some swung punches when they did not like the truth!
And later Monty Python of course.
Al.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts

My take on the Ricky Gervais GG hosting gig...

I'm not offended as a celebrity...I'm offended as a comedian!
/ Jerry Seinfeld impression ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts