Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a RG6 run be split to accommodate 2 receivers? I have a single RG6 run to an upstairs bedroom and was wondering if it would be possible to pickup a second receiver in an adjacent bedroom.

m...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Absolutely! As long as the ends are compression type and a proper hpna rated splitter is used, that is how installers usually do it. This is better than having to run two separate cat5 lines direct from the gateway for those that like to run the receivers on cat5 (which you can only have up to 4, or really only 3 if using one ethernet port for internet.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dr. Dave - I don't have MTS TV yet, I just wanted to run the lines myself to save on installation costs... I wasn't sure if the installer would require 2 separate runs in this scenario.

Macman - I was actually going to run cat5e/6 cables to all my locations (4 receivers in total plus 1 internet) but that posed the exact problem you described.

So to sum it up... at my service entrance I will have the following;

- 1 RG6 run (that will service the 2 second floor receivers)
- 3 cat5e/6 runs (that will service 2 receivers and 1 internet port)

I don't have the compression type ends on the RG6 run, but I'm assuming MTS will provide it... and the splitter? Do I need anything else?

Thanks guys, your help is appreciated...

m...

·
Registered
76 Posts
ya we will terminate and provide a splitter. i hope you didn't get your coax at the dollar store like everyone else does ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
You have done everything required to save on runs, (all locations pre-wired... free install). installer will be happy to put compression ends & a GHPNA-2 splitter.
System would also work if would have been 3 runs of rg6 into a ghpna-3 splitter fed on the 1 coax into the rg(2wire), just needs 1 cat5 run to the PVR location.
p.s. pvr location doesn't matter at which tv, as all tv's access pvr functions through the network.

Only other thought is to make sure phone entrance line (trailer) & block is accessible,... as in, not dry walled into the basement ceiling.

If was me doing the install, i'd have to say *thanks for doing half of it for me. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All is done and I will book an appointment tomorrow. I decided to run an RG6 to an additional receiver as was suggested by Newbie131...... just the main receiver has a cat6 run.

mtsguy - no way! RG6 was bought at home depot, no dollar store junk...... lol

thanks again guys........ this forum has been awesome!

m...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts