Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How satisfied are you with this retailer?

• Extremely Satisfied

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Somewhat Dissatisfied

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Extremely Dissatisfied

Votes: 10 14.1%

• Total voters
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Their pricing is typically very good UNLESS you have to ship an item back. I recently had to ship an SSD back to AData and despite the package weighing less than 100g, it cost $30 for Xpresspost ($18 for ground registered). Shipping to the US is very pricey so I may curb my purchases from Newegg (although sometimes their shell-shocker deals are too good to resist).

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
My issue was with a return. Bought a $70 item, wanted to return it. Expected the 15% restocking fee but they really made it difficult cost wise to return an item.

$11 Restocking
$10 Handling Fee
$22 Shipping

$43 Total to return or basically 60% the value of the item.

Shipping to me was only $10. Not sure why it costs twice as much to send it back. Also $22 to ship a 1lb item from Barrie to "Toronto" seems high. I sense even though it's .ca I'm paying to ship the item back to the U.S. Also no idea what the additional handling fee was about. Would be hesitant to purchase from them again unless I knew it was an item I would not need to return.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bought a bluetooth speaker for my car, almost 30bucks cheaper then what I could get it for from Futureshop. Free shipping, and I ordered it on a Friday, and was arriving on Tuesday.

·
Registered
19 Posts
To Sum it up: Meh. Not great, Not terrible.

Purchased Epson Projector from them because the price was better, with free shipping.

Pay for return: Pretty quickly I was able to determine that I would have to pay for return shipping on returned/defective material. Fine, not impressive, but OK. Good that I could find the information quickly.

Shipping speed: Finding out the difference between Purolator Express/Purolator Standard was impossible from their website (in terms and conditions, not in shipping FAQ), and does not mean the same as Express/Standard on Purolators website.

Shipping Tracking: Failed to give me a tracking number for my package, so I had to use chat to ask them. It was reasonably fast. I received inaccurate dates about estimated arrival time during chat, but it arrived earlier than expected.

Shipping Care: Packing was box within a box, but inner box was sliding around inside, not properly packed in, but no damage.

It arrived, as promised, in one piece, in a timely fashion. Not impressive, not awful. Just Meh.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Wanted to buy a set of Home Theatre speakers. Newegg Canada was out of stock and indicated that they will not stock the product again. Newegg USA had stock but won`t to sell to Canadians, even though I could arrange for the pickup in the USA (i.e no additional admin or cost for them). They indicated that the arrangement is that Canadians must buy through NewEgg Canada, which I would buy from if they had stock (and offered a similar deal). Its a pity that Newegg Canada`s arrangement with Newegg USA is blocking Canadians from getting good deals. If Newegg Canada offered the same deals or allowed free trade, this would have been a much better experience with them.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I don't think this is Newegg's fault. A lot of manufacturers have separate Canadian and USA distributions so they can charge higher prices in Canada. The manufacturers won't allow products from the US system to be shipped to Canada.

·
Registered
502 Posts
You have it right that manufacturers are protecting their increased profit margins in Canada, however in this case I believe it is Newegg that are protecting their own business unit. The shipping address that I have selected was a USA address. The only issue was that my credit card account was from Canada and therefore my billing address. It might as well have been that I wanted them shipping a gift to my nephew down in Illinois, which NewEgg dot com wouldn't have allowed either (do to the internal policy).

I will be very, VERY concerned if a manufacturer of a commercial product such as a loudspeaker would insist on knowing the address of the person who is paying for the product. If it was a F35 fighter jet, yes, but a $100 pair of speakers............ So no , I believe this is purely an internal NewEgg policy.

Interesting bit of info from the respective websites:
The mailing address for New Egg USA is
Newegg.com
9997 Rose Hills Road
Whittier, CA, 90601

And the mailing address for NewEgg Canada

Newegg Canada
9997 Rose Hills Road
Whittier, CA, 90601

Therefore different business units located in the same building.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will ship from US warehouse unexpectantly

Without notice, Newegg can .... and WILL sometimes choose to ship item(s) from a US warehouse. This will result in a very delayed order fulfillment process.
One has NO way of realizing this prior to placing the order and this is not openly provided on the web site ... anywhere!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
This is nothing new with US companies selling in Canada. Most of them do it, so not sure how this is the fault of Newegg. Order from Apple.ca, Amazon.ca, and see were they ship from. They also don't tell you that they are shipping from somewhere other than Canada. Not really a big deal, IMO.. Would you rather they wait until the Canadian warehouse gets a shipment in of the products you want to purcahse? This will delay it even more.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I flip between these guys and NCIX all the time. Each one has good deals often. Never had any issues, sales are always as represented. However, I have to throw a word of caution like a few other posters. Sometimes, things ship from the US. Not normaly a huge deal, unless, you order a part for a clients rig and now your delivery is plus 3 days. I have had it happen a few times, and it seems they ground ship it from the US. If they air shipped it, I wouldn't have such a problem, as it would only add a day. Ground shipping is normally 3 additional days to the border, plus a day or two in transit to Toronto. So, when I am buying for a client, I do not use them, but if its for myself, I roll the dice.

This is another company that packages their items well for shipping. I never have any worries about anything I purchase. Yes, we can always return something that is damaged, but who wants to go through all that hassle? I prefer to support companies like this one that spend the extra bit of money to properly package items with the air bubble and proper wrapping.

Shipping fee's are always very competitive. Never had to RMA with this company, but, I doubt I would ever be concered if I needed to.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I ordered 3 different parts from them in a single order. I was invoiced for all 3 separately (credit card has been charged) and given 3 different tracking numbers. Two of the parts (and the tracking numbers were valid) arrived within a couple of days but the last item is "in transit". Problem is, the tracking number isn't valid and Puralotor says they don't have it. Newegg.ca says they do and won't escalate the matter. I can file a "missing package" claim with them if it's still "in transit" in another 5 business days.

So much for 2-3 days shipping!

This will likely be my last order with them.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
To be fair, Purolator probably won't accept a claim until a package is missing a week. As for the messed up tracking number, it's as likely a Purolator mistake as Newegg. BTW, Canada Post, who owns 91% of Purolator, wins the most "screwup" awards. Maybe there is a correlation, maybe not.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I didn't get to pick the "shipper", only the time I wanted it delivered in. That being said, regardless of whom is delivering the package, I place the blame squarely with newegg.ca as they are the ones that have my money.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
What a poor system they have for dealing with lost packages. Item ordered on Dec. 30, tracking number was never valid, Purolator claims they never received the item. Newegg has now opened a lost package claim, this investigation will take 7 to 10 business days to complete. Once that investigation is complete, they then file a claim with the delivery company. Once the delivery company has had time to respond, they will decide whether to issue a refund or send a replacement.

In the meantime, they've had my money since Jan. 2nd and I'm still without my item!!! I told them I want my money refunded now (and don't even think about sending a replacement) but they won't budge. Next step is contesting the charges with my CC company. This is bordering on criminal.

I "saved" about $15-$20 by ordering online from Newegg vs. driving to the store to pick it up locally. NEVER AGAIN will I deal with this outfit. Sure getting the other 2 items I ordered at a good price and on time was nice but the potential nightmare of having a lost item is not worth the risk.

I ordered something from the States in early January and it was delivered by Canada Post mid last week. Why can't Newegg ship a package from Mississauga faster than that!?!?!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Just to close the loop on this, I finally got my money back from Newegg on Jan 27th. Took almost a month from the date of the order. Absolutely atrocious customer service from Newegg.

Avoid avoid avoid dealing with these people. A company shows it's true colours not when everything goes right but when something goes wrong.

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i built a whole PC with parts from newegg.ca a few years back and yes not all the parts came at once (one of them had a different tracking number then the rest) but still all parts were delivered in a timely manor and no issues with any of the parts i got from them to this day. just because you have one bad experience doesn't mean it will happen again

21 - 37 of 37 Posts