Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How satisfied are you with this retailer?

• Extremely Satisfied

Votes: 62 50.4%
  • Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • Somewhat Dissatisfied

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Extremely Dissatisfied

Votes: 17 13.8%

• Total voters
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,391 Posts
This is a positive review for Dell Canada. I've bought Dell computers for myself and others in the past as well as various accessories without any problem. Here is my most recent experience.

I bought a pair of JBL bookshelf speakers before Christmas for a very good price on Dell Days of Deals. I received them via Purolator ground shipping as expected, slightly ahead of the promised original delivery date. Since Dell provides a tracking number, I was able to make sure I was home for the delivery.

Unfortunately, one of the speakers was completely dead. (The one that worked sounded great). After verifying that the speaker was defective, by swapping with the one that worked, I called Dell for an exchange. Because the speakers were a special purchase, Dell had sold out and didn't have any left for replacements and none on order.

The CSR was very helpful and emailed a prepaid Purolator Shipping Label PDF. He also followed up at every step and was very courteous each time. He called to confirm that the package had been received and a couple of days later to let me know that the refund had been issued to my credit card.

A couple of couple weeks later, I even got a coupon code in the mail for 10% off my next electronics purchase.

So even though the JBL speakers were defective from the manufacturer (beyond Dell's control), I ended up with a very positive impression of the company and an unbelievably smooth return process. The only downside is I wasn't able to find the speakers anywhere else at close to that price (JBL ES20BK 3-Way speakers).

·
Registered
969 Posts
My system finally shipped, and a tracking number from Purulator was provided. However, this is still later than the planned arrival date of February 14th. Also, their don't seem to be any updates on the tracking system yet, saying it left the sorting facility. Hopefully,while tracking, I will have some idea when the system will be "out for delivery", so that I can be home to receive the package, and the last thing I want is to have Purulator send the system back to the shipper on account of a failed delivery. I have read some reviews of Purulator, and they are not that good, since they don't leave a card for condos or appointments if a delivery is missed. I haven't dealt with Purulator before personally.

If the delivery goes smoothly, the system is in good condition, and I receive the rebate that the phone CSR mentioned, I will revise, and give a higher rating to Dell.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have had good and bad experiences with Dell. The good experiences are mainly in the customer service, and some of the deals they offer. The bad experience is that, after you place an order, they have a habit of either running out of parts before your order ships, delaying it indefinitely, or actually cancelling your order without prior contact or notification due to one out-of-stock part.

I had this happen on a Dell Studio laptop I ordered in 2009 (mentioned above, in a previous post), and I had it happen with two business desktops I ordered for my boss in 2012 and 2013. Those desktops, a Vostro and an XPS, were both cancelled without notice after the order was delayed past the estimated delivery date. On both occasions, I had to call up Dell, get them to reinstate the order at the agreed-upon price with expedited shipping and obtained a free upgraded warranty for the inconvenience.

If they're out of stock of a part, they should let me know, and ask me what I want to do. I should then have the option to wait for the order, cancel it, or substitute an equivalent part at no additional charge (video card in both cases). Cancelling a customer's order after they've paid for it, without any notice is just bad business.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The process went much more smoothly after the computer was finally assembled, and arrived safe and sound yesterday, 6 days after being shipped. I plan to update my rating of Dell, provided the computer checks out OK, and the promised rebate is credited.

One thing that would be good to see is to have international tracking when products are shipped from Texas, but I don't know if that is possible with Purulator. For the longest time, I didn't think anything was moving through the system, with no tracking updates in the 5 1/2 days that if took to cross the USA, then things moved like lightning in the final day while transiting in Canada to my home.

·
Registered
969 Posts
My credit card was doubly charged for this order, over $3000 each time. The first charge was on March 3rd, and it was charged again on March 10th.

I am not happy, and have already disputed the double charge with my credit card company. Thankfully, the credit card folks are really pleasant to deal with, and they assured me that it will be taken care of.

I will never order from Dell again.

The sad thing about the whole thing is that the computer itself is an excellent piece of equipment.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The double charge error has been rectified, and Dell has applied a credit to my card to offset the error. I really should give Dell full credit for addressing the situation in a timely fashion after I contacted them about the error.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts