Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How satisfied are you with this retailer?

• Extremely Satisfied

Votes: 62 50.4%
  • Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • Somewhat Dissatisfied

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Extremely Dissatisfied

Votes: 17 13.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience with Dell online

This is NOT a discussion thread so please limit yourself to one post which includes your review.

We welcome the input and opinions of all members whether they are good or bad, however, please note that this thread is NOT for rants. Whether you had a good or bad experience with this vendor we want to hear about it but in an OBJECTIVE manner.

If you post a rant or childish comments like, these guys "suck" or they're all a "bunch of idiots", then your comments will be considered trolling and your post will be deleted.

When you post, please try to include the following information:

• What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.
Guidelines for Posting Negative Reviews

The truth is no retailer or service provider is perfect and occasionally even the best companies can disappoint. Our experience is that good companies have problems but they typically make every reasonable effort to resolve problems.

If you had a problem and are posting a negative review, then please note what efforts you made to resolve the problem and the feedback you received. If you think the efforts to resolve the problem were NOT reasonable then please explain why. Saying you phoned up and talked to some idiot, suggests the problem may lie with the consumer and NOT the company!

No posting URLS or Directs to Competitors will be deleted

Posts containing URL's to competitors or posts saying gee you should have shopped at this retailer will be considered spam and deleted.

We want opinions, NOT sales pitches or spam!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quite positive

I've owned two Dell Computers (Inspiron 9200 and Inspiron 4000) and I've had quite good experiences with them. My Inspiron 9200 I bought 2 years ago and it has run very well. The DVD/CD drive died about 3 months ago, and the Dell forums site provided the necessary information for me to help diagnose the problem and determine that I needed a new one. I had only purchased a 1 year warranty, but I didn't regret that, as replacement drive cost $90, which was less than 1 year warranty extension.

My Inspiron 4000 I purchased in Aug 2001 and I sold in Dec. 2004. It worked without incident, except for both batteries dying out about 20 months I purchased it. I did use the laptop a lot without a power cord, so I think that I simply hit the maximum number of cycles that the batteries could handle.

I've recommended Dell's to a few friends and family, and they've had good experiences with them too. I've heard that their Tech Support in recent years hasn't been great, but I haven't had to deal with them, so I really can't comment. Like I said, I've found their forums adequate for my questions.

Primarily I've chosen Dell because they give a good bang for the buck, with decent reliability. I've seen that their reliability ratings are down a little bit (as per PC Mag's reliability survey), but they'll still remain on my short list the next time that I'm looking for a computer.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I recently purchased a Dell TV (w3207c), although it was purchased through Costco. So far I've been quite impressed with it (only 1month old).

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I have had Dell for 6 years; computer and monitor. I really like both and have never had any problems with either.

When I started out shopping for a computer I ended up at FS and bought a Hewlet Packard machine. I got home tried to install word/ms office and the brand new computer crashed several times. It would not load office from a disk that I knew for sure worked. I packaged up the machine and returned it. I then bought a Dell and havent had any problems or regrets since day one.

The only issue I had was with Dell customer service. I ordered a 17 inch CRT monitor and felt it was too bulky for my desk at the time. I called Dell and asked if I could exchange it for an LCD monitor. They said sure, but I had to buy the LCD monitor then they would refund my VISA for the price of the CRT monitor when it got returned and passed through the warehouse. The rep told me I should just hang on to the CRT monitor until I received the replacement.

Within a couple of days the new monitor showed up (which was fantastic and still of better quality than some of the newer models available today). Dell also promptly sent me the return package and instructions to put on the box for returning the CRT monitor which I followed to a tee.

The problem began when I tried to get the refund for the returned monitor. I had to wait about 9 months and after over a dozen calls to Dell customer service explaining the situation several times I finally got the refund. However, the silver lining of that dark cloud was that they ended up refunding me the price of the LCD monitor, the monitor which I kept and not the monitor that I returned. Now as many of you will know, the LCD monitor costs many hundreds of dollars more than a CRT monitor, especially 6 years ago. I figure it that made up for the months of stress and worry about the whole situation.

Bottom line, I would still recommend Dell and I will shop there again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dell - my satisfaction is high

have just bought my 5th computer from Dell an E520 dual core desktop, in 2005 an Inspiron 6400 notebook, in 2003 a 4600 P4 desktop, in 2000 a 4100 P3 desktop and a notebook....all in all have been more than satisfied, with the only problem i can remember, a disk crash in 2001 on the desktop... Dell sent me a replacement (twice the storage at N/C). Did not have to return the disk and was able to format and use for many subsequent year as a 2nd drive (demagnetized not damaged it turned out.
still have 3 desktops and a notebook...any PC problems i have had a Windows related, not Dell hardware...seems any windows system need s format disk and re-install about one a year or better
have also bought a Dell LCD 26" TV, 3 flat panel monitors of 19" type & a 17" LCD and many peripherals such as UPS units etc.

shipping has always been very fast about a week for computers & 1 to 2 days for other stuff.

have recommended Dell to many and all have been well served....what a positive change from bad retailer experience of the 1990's and 1980's, with unreliable computers.

Dell keeps getting my business, because i feel well served, price is competitve relative to quality...i still compare, but have had no reason to shop PC's elsewhere and the Dell deals are really hard to beat.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just bought something from Dell off their 10 days of Business Deals sale and i have to say that i am totally impressed with the speed at which i got my item. I Ordered it Yestreday at 1:30 in the afternoon and by 11:00 today it was on my desk. And it was all on free shipping... I just wish everyone could ship that fast for free. Any ways kudos to dell, as my item wasn't supposed to ship unitl friday...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Virtually everything I have bought from Dell.ca has come extremely quickly. The only thing that takes longer is the computers and the monitors. I have had the 24" widescreen LCD for over a year and a half now and its excellent. And, I love the accessories you can get from the 10 days of deals.

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Deal Deals are deals because:
1. Excellent quality
2. Really great price.
3. Arrive at my doorstep the next business day.
4. Come with a free Airmile or two by logging on to airmilesshops.ca first.
5. Usually have free shipping.

·
Banned
129 Posts
Dell is good......until you try to get warrenty work. If they would honour their so called warrenty they would be better. I will never buy another Dell again.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My experience with Dell products has for the most part been very good. I am the systems administrator where I work and I also take care of ordering hardware. For servers we use HP and for workstations we've mostly been ordering Dells. As far as warranty work goes they have been excellent. I've had a couple machines where the system board has died. When I called for support I was given the choice to accept the replacement parts and replace them myself, which I could have done, or have them send a tech out to do it. As I don't really have time for this they sent a tech out immediately and the problem was solved.
My only complaint with Dell was in thier accounting department. We do not have terms with Dell. We do with HP but for Dell we pay everything with credit card. A couple of years ago I ordered a couple of workstations I needed. For some reason (can't remember why) I put the order on hold. They ended up refunding back the credit card. About 2 weeks after that I reordered the systems and accepted delivery. About 6 months later they contact me saying we owe them for 2 systems on credit. They think that we took delivery on the systems that I had cancelled. We don't have credit with them. We pay for everything before delivery. It took me 2 years to get this straightened out. They had put it in collections. Even the collection company that I talked to criticized their methods. I only got action when I called our companies sales rep and said there would be no more orders until this was straightened out. Over the 2 years I had dealt with this about 5 times. Everytime I was assured it was taken care of,only to be served with an invoice or threat later on.
I had to vote somewhat satisified because of this incident. Other than that Dell has been great.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Dell Deals are great...

I prefer building my own PCs but for a lot of other computer related stuff I usually get them from dell.ca usually when they have one of those dell deals. All the stuff I bought from them also came with free shipping.

I have had no problems with the stuff I have bought from dell.ca over the last 2 to 3 years (knock on wood). These include:

1. 2405FPW 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor.

2. 1 x 1905FP 19" and 1 x 1907FP 19" LCD Monitors.

3. 3 x Linksys WRT54GL (Linux) Wireless G Routers... great deal at less than 50 bucks apiece... I reflashed both with the open source DD-WRT firmware (free) and now I am using two as a client bridges to link the XBox, Slingbox, and 2 PCs wirelessly from the family and kid's room. The other one is running as a full blown firewall with Access Restrictions and Quality of Service (QoS) prioritizing bandwidth for various apps such as torrents, games, etc.

4. Slingbox original.

5. APC SmartUPS 1500. Another amazing deal for less than 200 bucks. This thing weighs a ton but Dell shipped it for free! No wonder Dell is losing money nowadays and had to call Michael back from retirement :(

Just like the other posters above, I have heard Dell's tech support is less than stellar nowadays but for monitors and other non-Dell branded peripherals that usually just work out of the box Dell's pricing and free shipping is hard to beat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK overall

Ordered an LCD monitor from Dell by talking to a sales agent. I had some questions that I wanted answered and that's why I didn't use the website. To my surprise the agent told me that there is no warranty included with the LCD monitor and that I need to pay extra for warranty. I told him that the website states 3 years warranty, but he was insisting that it's not so. I asked him to verify with his manager and after a short pause he came back and agreed that 3 years is included in the purchase price. The monitor took a week to ship out and about 2 days to get to me, which I think is kinda slow, I mean its not a PC that needs to be assembled to your spec, so it should ship out much faster then that. I am happy with the monitor itself, 3 years warranty, and the fact that shipping is free.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dell Computer

I ordered my third Dell computer in 6 years. The order was processed quickly, and the computer was shipped on the 3rd business day after the order was placed. So far, so good.

In the past, delivery (with paid shipping) has been in 2-3 days. This time around, with free shipping, after tracking the shipment on-line and talking directly with Purolator, I learned that it takes 4 business days to get the computer from Dell's factoy to the Canadian border. How long it will take to get cleared and to transport in Canada is anybody's guess. Even the Post Office can do it in half the time.

I can only conclude that Dell's free shipping is just like everything else. You get exactly what you pay for.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Overnight shipping, literally.

Ordered a Logitech MX3200 Laser wireless keyboard/mouse combo as part of the Dell Days of Deals (one of the March 28 special).

I received two emails after ordering, one acknowledging order receipt, and the other as confirmed.

To my surprise, I received the order the very next day - March 29th.

Turns out that Dell has a distribution or warehouse near my work address.

Good experience.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I've placed 3 orders will Dell.ca over the last 2 months.

One for a phone, one for a laptop and one for a game preorder.

The laptop and phone came very fast and the price was excellent. I'll weigh in again when I get the game.

As a side note, my mother will never deal with Dell again. They royally screwed her around on her laptop warranty work.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
In November during their video game deals they were having I ordered a PS3 game and a Wii game at a good price. The Wii game was a pre-order and was eventually pushed out and is still not quite available yet but soon.

I originally emailed to see if I could get the order split which they cannot do so I was willing to wait for both of them to ship eventually next month.

Today I find out the order is cancelled so I got on an online chat with customer service and the answer I get is that if their vendor cannot fulfill the order it is cancelled. I asked if I could get the PS3 game re-ordered at the same sale price as it is available on their website still.

I was informed that if I want it, I have to re-order it at the existing price and there is nothing that they can do since they cannot enter orders. I pushed a bit more asking if there was another avenue I could take to get this done and was told there wasn't and it is Dell policy that if an order is cancelled because of the vendor inability to fulfill it you must re-order at existing pricing.

Not great customer service but it's not the end of the world either. Three things I learned.

1. They cannot split shipments.
2. If a vendor cannot fulfill any part of the order, they cancel the whole order.
3. You must re-order if they do cancel and they do not honour the sale price you may have had before.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unbelievable, these 'customer service' agents are rude

I was trying to get some information on a product via this websites' chat.
I logged on for two different sessions and asked the same question, and was given a vague answer. Then the agent simply disconnected, on both occasions.
I would rather spend more money then get a Dell, dude!
A very bad customer service experience from two different agents!
:eek:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Extremely disastisfied with Dell.ca.

I ordered a GPS online. First received an acknowledgement and later received a second email which was a confirmation email with a delivery date of the next day.
The next day I received an email stating that they had to delay delivery.
So I waited..... every few days... another email that it was delayed.
Last email was over a week ago. So today I called them to find out what was going on. I was told that my ordered had been cancelled.
I asked when it was cancelled they gave me the date... which was the same date as the last notification sent stating that it was delayed.

Now, I would have understood them running out of stock... and telling me up front.
I cannot beleive that they led me to beleive that is was coming all this time... after they both acknowledged the order and than confirmed my order .

I was told after a lengthy converstation with the Call center and their inability to get a hold of manager for me to speak that they would try to come up with something in the next 24-48 hours. I asked the rep how do I know he will follow up... he said he would send me an email with his email address. The email came as I was still on the phone with him.... it was a cancellation notice for my order.

As I write this I wonder how Dell could treat a customer like this.... I than wonder how much longer they plan on being in business.

So I hope my experience may help someone else when deciding to order from Dell.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I haven't had too bad an experience with Dell.ca other than for the slow (but free) shipping. Ordered a Vostro 220 (through the small business end) a few months back which had a defective drive that eventually suffered a total failure while I was on line with the supoort rep (you do get passed around a lot). He wanted to verify it was a drive problem (I guess they do have lots of returns for stuff that's not defective but misused/misdiagnosed by clueless end users). The new drive was at my door the next business day (small business has overnight support) and came with a prepaid label to ship it back to Dell. Ordered a very cheap laser printer and 16:9 monitor that have worked very well.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've always had great service with Dell.ca. That last two occasions I have ordered items late in the afternoon and received them both the next day. Hard to beat, considering that the shipping was free.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Qaulity control issues with Dell

Extremely dissatisfied with Dell.ca

Previously owned many Dell desktops ordered from Dell Canada and Dell in Europe. First time I ordered a laptop from Dell.

Ordered a Studio XPS 16 laptop in late February. Received it 2 weeks later; and what they call the "Media Control Buttons" were not working. Shipped the laptop back to have it repaired.
Repair, including shipping time, took about 3 weeks but the "Media Control Buttons" were still not working (even though the repair work order that I received back with the laptop stated it was fixed and tested). At this point it was late March.
Talked to the Dell CSRs again and he told us they would ship a new laptop and we could use the first one until the new machine arrives.
The new machine finally arrived in mid May (10 weeks after we initially received the first laptop).
On the second Studio XPS 16 we received the monitor turned off randomly and it required multiple restarts to get it working again.
So after 10 weeks I had two laptops with hardware issues sitting at my house and I just wanted to get rid of them and get my money back.

Since the request for a full refund was made after 31 days of the original purchase date I had to talk to one of the CSR supervisors for over an hour and convince them that it was Dells fault that it was past the 31 day deadline because they shipped me faulty laptops.

When I took the laptop the the Purolator drop-off location (small clothing store in my rural area) the lady told me that she had a lot of packages being dropped off for Dell lately - most likely things going back for repair.

To me it is obvious that they have some quality control issues in their Malaysian plant.
Will never buy Dell again.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts