Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now spent two weeks with my new Carada 100" 1.78 to 1 Criterion Series screen with brilliant white (1.4 gain) and in that time spent about 40 hours watching HDTV, Blu-ray and DVD material.

Before buying, I did a lot of research (in person and on the web) and spoke to the people at Carada and other screen manufacturers before I purchased and can honestly say I believe I made an excellent purchase.

I have this screen paired with Panasonic AE-1000 (1100 lumens) which is 17' from the screen

The following is some homework I did before buying. Using the projector central chart I got the following numbers for a 100” diagonal and the AE-1000

- 14 foot-lambert with a screen gain of 1.0 gain
- 19 foot-lambert with a screen gain of 1.4 gain

For a 106" the numbers fell to 12 foot-lambert and 17 foot lamberts respectively.

Assuming a 30 to 40% drop in lumen output on the bulb then I felt that a 106" screen was too big and a 1.0 screen was probably not bright enough ( for this distance and my projectors light output) .

I decided on a 100" screen with a 1.4 gain which even after the bulb drops in brightness should keep me in the 14 to 16 foot-lambert’s range.

I ordered the screen about 6 weeks ago and it arrived in about a week.

The Installation of my screen went pretty smoothly. Took me a bit longer than I expected as the installation instructions were not completely accurate but I was able to figure it out after a few minutes.

The screen is very simple to put together. The frame comes in four pieces which are kept together with twelve screws and then the screen stretches and snaps to the frame. The hard part is the mounting to ensure its level and flush with the wall.

Combined with the AE-1000, this is simply gorgeous. You watch the film and don't even know the screen is there. With less expensive screens (and even some expensive ones, I always seem to be able to spot imperfections in the screen)

FYI, Carada screens are uncoated and gain from the embossing of the material unlike da-lite or Stewart which add coatings to enhance performance.

Since I have used the Carada, I have visited several high end Home Theatre stores with some very expensive screens (as much as 3 times the price of Carada) and both my wife and I agree that our screen is every bit as good.

You can check the Carada web site and you'll find the prices are much less than other high quality screens you'll find in A/V shops in Canada but in my opinion they are every bit their equal.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Totally amazing. Still have nothing but positives on this screen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am now nervous on how my Epson Powerlite 1080 will look with the Elite VMAX 100 inch screen I just got from tigerdirect :(

Thanks for the write up, curious to see how this will look.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fedex. You have to pay for shipping and some duties but they aren't excessive. The company PR representative told me they recommend Canadians contact them via phone for specific amounts so there are no surprises.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I too have a Carada screen, a 96" Precision series and can echo Hugh's comments on the quality of this screen. Mine is used with a AE900 projector at about 19' throw and the image quality is fantastic. David, the owner of the company I think, was a pleasure to do business with and he was happy to exchange e-mails for all of my questions.

Becks, mine shipped via DHL and for some reason I was only billed for GST, no PST. It's also made in the US so there were no duties to pay.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Mine arrived today via FEDEX. Took less than a week. Fedex dinged me $7 for brokerage fee plus normal GST/PST on the item itself. The Fedex girl was about 5ft tall and the box was bout 8ft.

Will try to assemble it this weekend. Will report back.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
James99, Congrats.

Setup is straightforward but be sure to read the instructions before starting. I recommend setting aside a couple of hours for setup. You should be able to get it done in less time but by giving yourself the extra time, any frustration factor is eliminated because you're not rushing.

Let us know what you think when its setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought a Criterion Series 2:35 screen ( 128" ) in Brilliant White over a year ago and can only add that it has been great watching scope films in hi def. All this has now made me spend even more money towards the new Epson TW2000 1080 pj. Hope to see one in 2 or 3 weeks. You really cannot go wrong with a Carada and the 1.4 gain on a BW screen helps a lot - especially as your bulb dims. And the extra width of the Cinema Series frame (3") is well worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Finally got mine up and running. Had a friend assemble for it for me today. Things sent smoothly.

I'm not convinced that the screen material is much better than what I had before (I had a DIY screen) but the frame is better.

The screen frame does a great job with spillage, which was a problem with my old frame.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good to see Carada is still producing excellent screens. Bought my 92" screen from them 3-years ago. One of the best purchases I ever made, high quality materials and easy to assemble.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just ordered my classic white 1.0 gain 88" this morning, have read a lot about screens in the last little while, & it seems you cannot go wrong with the carada. Should be getting it next week, then I will let you know.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
To add to my previous comments. I found the screen to be very well packed. It was fairly easy to assemble. Like many others I skipped using the bottom mount.

Lots of thought went into everything related to this screen. The gloves were a nice touch as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Put up my new carada screen last weekend ( classic white 1.0 gain 88"). Very well packaged, installation time was about 1 hour. Had a DIY screen (Goo paint system), looked great, but I could always see some roller marks when the scene was very white or light blue, no matter what I tried I could not get rid of them. Nobody else seen them until I pointed it out, but it drove me crazy. I thought it looked good before, but now it looks fantastic, my son noticed it right away playing cod4 on ps3, and the first time I swithed to hd channel you could really tell. The colors have much more pop to them. Have watched about 5 hrs on the new screen, and I am extremely happy with this purchase.

·
Registered
214 Posts
L8NVR, how long did it take for you to get it?

My Da-Lite has been scuffed so I'm looking for a good replacement (also gives me the excuse to go to 106 from 92)...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nobody else seen them until I pointed it out, but it drove me crazy.
I chuckled because I had a similar situation.

What I really notice now when I go into stores is what crappy screens many of them use to display their front projectors. I never noticed it until I got this screen and you get spoiled.

L8NVR, glad you're enjoying your screen.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hugh, I just read your reviewand this is definitely a great review! The way you describe the framing and snap on feature, looks like the Fast Fold Screens we use on HIGH PROFILE events (rental). I wonder if they make dress kit for them? Valence, side drapes and skirts, I can just imagine how SPIFFY your screen would look with that! IE: Black Velour or Dark Blue? Can you guys provide pics of those nice screens?

Cheers:cool:!
René

1 - 20 of 50 Posts