Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How satisfied are you with this retailer?

• Extremely Satisfied

Votes: 74 67.3%
  • Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 27 24.5%
  • Somewhat Dissatisfied

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Extremely Dissatisfied

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience with Amazon.ca

This is NOT a discussion thread so please limit yourself to one post which includes your review.

We welcome the input and opinions of all members whether they are good or bad, however, please note that this thread is NOT for rants. Whether you had a good or bad experience with this vendor we want to hear about it but in an OBJECTIVE manner.

If you post a rant or childish comments like, these guys "suck" or they're all a "bunch of idiots", then your comments will be considered trolling and your post will be deleted.

When you post, please try to include the following information:

• What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.
Guidelines for Posting Negative Reviews

The truth is no retailer or service provider is perfect and occasionally even the best companies can disappoint. Our experience is that good companies have problems but they typically make every reasonable effort to resolve problems.

If you had a problem and are posting a negative review, then please note what efforts you made to resolve the problem and the feedback you received. If you think the efforts to resolve the problem were NOT reasonable then please explain why. Saying you phoned up and talked to some idiot, suggests the problem may lie with the consumer and NOT the company!

No posting URLS or Directs to Competitors will be deleted

Posts containing URL's to competitors or posts saying gee you should have shopped at this retailer will be considered spam and deleted.

We want opinions, NOT sales pitches or spam!

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Amazon.ca is the US partner of Amazon.com

PRO

- Good selection of books, DVDs, CDs, etc
- Fast shipping to S. Ontario
- Good Return policy

CON

- Does not have the same selection as Amazon.com, Needs to add electronics
- HD movies are pricier than Amazon.com with a poorer selection

Over the years I have ordered dozens of DVDs. With a stronger Canadian dollar and better selection, I have shifted many purchases over to Amazon.com over the last 6 months.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Selection/price usually MUCH better on Amazon.com

I'll try amazon.ca first, but I've often had to resort to ordering from Amazon.com to get an item that is unavailable on ca.

Amazon.ca is an excellent site, however, if the item is available to them. If it is, I've found their price is equal or better given the exchange to amazon.com

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have used Amazon.ca literally dozens of times. No issues or complaints except that they don't stock everything the US counterpart does. And the free shipping for orders over $39 is sweet.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Dumb question as I have not used either service. If you choose amazon.com over amazon.ca can you get DVD's with DTS? I'm tired of buying DVD's at retailers in Canada, watch the film in 5.1, and then discover that it was produced with a DTS soundtrack! I'm thinking this is a Canadian thing...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Pros and Cons as james99 listed.

All my purchase from Amazon.ca have been books. I've been happy with the selection and prices as well as the fast shipping, and when purchasing over $39 the shipping is free. Can't go wrong! I do wish it was a little "full featured" like the .com site, but hopefully it will grow to that point in the near future.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Would just add to everyones frustrations about not stocking the same content as their US counterpart. And of course if you have to go to the American site you lose the free shipping. But other than that I have found them good on price and service

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I used to really like Amazon dot ca and com. I still do shop at both but I am not really satistified with the way things are progressing there.

Specifics:

1.) Prices seem to go up and up, even within a few hours of putting stuff in my cart and then returning later after considering the purchase the prices seem to sporadically increase.

2.) Free super saver shipping is a scam. Sure you can get free shipping on orders over what 40$ but they add 3-5 days shipping delay on top of the normal 3-5 days. You can wait up to two weeks or more to order an item in stock...god forbid if its not in stock.

I ordered a DVD and a CD on Jan 5, 2007. Both items are in stock. I chose the free shipping option since the order was $45 or so. I will expect delivery between Jan 18-22, 2007. Now is it just me, or is that outrageous? I wrote a letter to Amazon dot com and explained my dis-satisfaction they said, oh you should get your stuff by the 18th. Well it didnt show today. Thats two weeks already. Not impressed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Among my friends, we refer to Amazon.ca's shipping method as "rocket sled" and often joke that items ordered arrive even before you order them :)

I've been pleased with selection and I am always pleased with shipping speeds.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've ordered many items from Amazon.ca and only when the original supplier turns around and cancels the item (obviously not Amazon's fault) have I failed to receive it in a timely fashion (It helps living in Mississauga, even with super saver shipping, items in stock will usually arrive a day after they're expected to ship :) )

In fact I'm going to place my order for the latest HP book and a few other items this week as well :cool:

NefCanuck

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just made my first purchase with .ca. It was a very hard to find DVD that my daughter loves. I had looked in about 6 different stores and about 7 or 8 websites. All either didn't carry it or didn't have it in stock.

I ordered it last Thursday morning at about 3am and got it on FRIDAY MORNING!!! I couldn't believe how fast I got it.

The price was decent as well and free shipping over $39 is awesome!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Amazon.ca is a great online store. I've bought thousands of dollars of items from them directly and from the Amazon marketplace. With free (Canada Post Expedited) shipping on orders over $39 and $5 Xpresspost shipping, it's one of the cheapest sites I've found. The free shipping is fast and the $5 shipping is even faster.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Now shipping with UPS too

Amazon.ca is shipping with UPS as well as Canada Post now, and it seems there is no option to select which method to use. This is a big downer since I used to be able to pick up missed package down at the post office. However, now with UPS when I miss the delivery I have to trek to UPS's office in the middle of nowhere.

I doubt I will buy there again until they give the option to choose.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I also love amazon.ca, prices are often cheaper if not the same as other people who sell the same stuff (best buy, chapters etc). I am pleased with the shipping speed and have never had any issues with any of their stuff.

Only downside is I also wish they had the same selection as amazon.com, but they seem to add new items often so we keep buying they might keep adding!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I was very satisfied with a speedy completion of a recent order with Amazon Canada, even though I chose the "free shipping" offer. I received my two computer games in less than a week.

I only wish they offered some of the stuff available on the US site though, since there are items on the US site that they refuese to ship to Canada, and in fact, I haven't been able to find in any Canadian online or retail chain. (This example is of a recent computer game)

·
Registered
43 Posts
With our dollar doing well against the US$, I've recently found that many items are now cheaper from Amazon.ca than Amazon.com. I never ship from the US to Canada because of the brokerage fees, but pick things up from my sister who lives near the border in WA. But it is still a drive down there, when we are on the mainland.
I recently ordered some textbooks for my daughter and they were only $3 more in Canada and I didn't have to wait until I was going to the States and then ship them to her myself; they were shipped right to her from ON.
Right now, check out the price difference on the extended blu-ray LOTR that just came out. It's $4 cheaper from Amazon.ca.!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had really good luck with Amazon and extremely fast shipping, usually 2 business days and that's with their free shipping option. I have had only one problem with them so far and it was with an improperly packaged item (surge protector) where the Amazon description was based on the package and in fact the manufacturer was putting the wrong item in the box. No problem returning and no cost to me, actually spoke to a real person there after only 3 minutes of prompting and hold time.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am a new customer to Amazon Canada, and am very satisfied with the speed of service. I ordered 2 books in the afternoon was delivered the next day. Unfortunately I was not home. They came the following day to my apartment door. The delivery driver refused a tip. I strongly recommend Amazon Canada.

P.S. Anything $25 or more is entitled to free shipping* which is a bonus.

*Some restrictions apply.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Once again, outstanding service, and quick delivery of two books I ordered from Amazon Canada last week. The parcel arrived in under a week, even though I chose "free shipping". I would order from them again anytime.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts