Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
WOW! Pretty ancient but fascinating toy!

* In the early 60's I was still wearing off my first digits of age...
* In th 70's too busy with the good old music to care about antennas...
* In the 80's, well I am surprised this vintage was still in use! Well, I was too busy studying basic electronics and studying the old teletype M28, M40 and cryptographic equipment. I am amazed we still learned and worked on those ancients while the world was slowly getting in to computers!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Our first TV, in the early 50's, was a Phillips projection set (yes, they existed back then) I believe it was about a 1949 model. The picture tube was about 2" and it projected through a system of 3 mirrors onto the back of a 17" screen. I remember the picture tube and the first 2 mirrors were in a steel box with a small exit hole and a tag that said not to operate the tube outside its box because of X-ray danger.

I remember being told that the set had sold for around a thousand 1949 dollars. The reason we were able to afford it was that my brother worked for Rogers-Majestic, which was bought by Phillips and he had access to their obsolete, not-worth-repairing trade-ins. That's also the reason I remember what the works looked like, from watching him repair it.

I still have the cabinet, a beautiful piece of mahogany which became a stereo cabinet in the 60's. The works, if I recall correctly. went to a friend of his to be cannibalized to repair another one.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
That's a late 1950s Westinghouse b&w TV, complete with 300Ω screw terminals for the antenna. Admirals looked almost the same. Anyone remember the commercials with the big "W" on the screen: "You can be sure... if its Westinghouse." I was watching the 1960s Batman show one day decades later and Commissioner Gordon was reassuring someone about a gee-whiz electronic helmet that Batman had invented, when he looked into the camera and deadpanned: "You can be sure... if its Batman." I chuckled, but I was the only one in the room who got the joke all those years later. For everyone else it was a "you had to be there" moment.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Check out this old Westinghouse ad, seems Westinghouse developed the concept of using a printed circuit board that's used in all electronics today.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
I don't know when that ad was made, but when I was a kid, we had a RCA 21" set that was made around 1956 or 1957. It had printed circuit boards. However, PCBs were invented back in the '30s and were used in U.S. military equipment during WW2.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
I recall ads, back in the '60s, about how Zenith sets were better, because they were hand wired. Back in those days, Motorola had their Quasar sets, with "the works in a drawer" that were supposed to be easier to service. Of course, back then, most sets were B&W and colour sets were rare.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts