Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
"Anyone remember going to the tube testing machine in the drugstore?"

otown47 .. been there, done that!!

My first stereo was a big, floor-model Clairtone. I carted it around (ugh!!) from one basement apartment to another over the time I was doing grad studies at UBC.

·
Registered
57 Posts
mtlnorm, that brings back memories. I had virtually the same unit given to me as a hand-me-down when I was a teen-ager. Added a cheap pre-amp along with magnetic cartridge for the turntable and the result was terrific. Was surprised great how this old console sounded compared to some newer set-ups. Alas it could not outlast my teenage volume settings...several times I blew the outputs..

My Dad decided to rework the console into a glass front buffet, which I still have.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Eaton's Viking TVs anyone?

Just curious. Anyone actually owned them, used them before? How was the colour and performance? A junk store keeper actually sold me one old-time Viking electric fan $20 for nostalgia. But it is going strong.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Viking TVs, were they actually made by Sanyo? I know for the longest time, Sears provider was Sanyo!
Viking was Eaton's store brand though. I can't say exactly who they partnered with, or if they did their own.

Sears, I think earlier on they designed their own, and had the unique practice of designing their circuit boards with just the empty spaces, leaving large tracks/pads of copper (saved etchant, I guess). Sears also used the same BSR 8-track mechanisms (and likely record changers) as Candle stereos.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I *think* that Viking TVs in Canada were either Panasonic or Electrohome (my memory leans towards Panasonic). Panasonic used to build TVs in Etobicoke, and Electrohome in Barrie (IIRC).

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Eatons Viking was definitely a rebrand, but I also cannot remember from which company either.

Electrohome was/is in Kitchener, ON.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Westinghouse is another recently licensed old name that is showing up on TVs again.

Remember the old tv and radio commercials with the grave-voiced announcer: "You can be sure... if its Westinghouse!"

I was watching an old Batman TV episode with the family and when the Caped Crusader puts this ridiculously wired electronic helmet on some worried guy's head, Commissioner Gordon deadpans "You can be sure... if its Batman." I had a great laugh, but nobody else in the room got the joke so I had to explain it and by then it still wasn't funny to them.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Viking was Eaton brand as Beaumark was for The Bay

And Sears had LXI for stereo equipment.

And don't forget Admiral's tv where really popular until the early 80's.

I worked for a electronic store in the mid 80's (Elektromike) in Quebec city and I remember selling rebuilt CRT tube for tv that was still cheaper than replacing the whole tv set.

The good old years ;)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I remember selling rebuilt CRT tube for tv that was still cheaper than replacing the whole tv set.
This was sadly not the case in late 90s and wouldn't definitely not be the case today. Ho well, this is the era of throw away technology! I guess you are right, the good old days!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
My dad brought home a late '60s Admiral colour TV for repair that almost killed us when we moved it downstairs to his workshop. Rather than having a typical wood cabinet that the chassis could be slid out of, its entire structure was made of thick sheet metal with mactac vinyl woodgrain applied to it (the kind seen on old station wagons), and it weighed a ton. Even when running properly there was a very slight electrical buzz on the fingertips when you touched its body. It was all chassis-grounded and there was no ground pin on power cords back then. :rolleyes:

After dad had fixed it the owner didn't want it anymore because he had gone out and bought a newer one, so dad got that bulletproof Admiral for a song. Pets loved it because the area all around it was constantly warm and cozy all winter. ;)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I've done a search and can't seem to find that old black & white Admiral TV we use to have (20" black plastic casing). When I look at the TVs you are showing in the former thread, this is even older than what I was raised with (Ah, maybe I am just a little younger than you Stampeder;)). I have seen such a model on Historia channel and I tought it was ratter spiffy. If we knew then, we probably would of tried to put our hands on such treasures as when we look at them today, they are quite a piece of art. Ha the good old days!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Eatons Viking was definitely a rebrand, but I also cannot remember from which company either.

Electrohome was/is in Kitchener, ON.
I cannot verify that fact, but I remember the Electrohome logo on the CKCO slate, back in the day. I can say that in the 1980s, A company called Melkit Marketing bought the license for it (or the like), and sold Mitsubishi product rebranded Electrohome.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Viking was Eaton brand as Beaumark was for The Bay
And Pulser for Canadian Tire. Some of their stereo gear was Yorx.
And Sears had LXI for stereo equipment.
That was the Sanyo era. I swear before that (1981 or so), they made, or at least designed, their own stuff.
And don't forget Admiral's tv where really popular until the early 80's.
I had one of those from the early 1960s. It was a 110 degree all-tube B&W set, with the knobs on top, speaker on the side. Looked kind of monitorish, compared to 80s monitors. I remember watching classic TV reruns on WKBD on it, with tropospheric inversion, and Good Rockin' Tonight.
I may have externalised the tuner/control cluster on that set, as well as my first own colour set, a Toshiba ('78 vintage).

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I can write a tome on this.

For my TVs (more as a teen experimenter/reuser than 'phile)
I had an Admiral TV I mentioned in another thread, a Franken TV (9"CRT attached to a solid state chassis from a 19" set.)
A Candle 12 B&W" set (I watched the first full Simpson's episode on), a Toshiba 20" (which I ran with the back off, a recurring theme with many of my TVs and stereos), and I put the tuner cluster on a tether (no wireless remotes in those days), a Sylvania set which I transplanted the tuner cluster with one from different set, to make a remote work, and a quasar set which had some main PCB cracks, and a totally ruined CRT neck board, which I replaced (with the came CRT neck board from the set which supplied the tuner for the Sylvania set).

For stereo equipment (in no particular order)

Amp (12AX7 to two 50C5s, per channel) and Speakers from a console stereo. I ripped out the tuner and used a boom-box for that and cassette. I eventually used a Monarch receiver that had a failed amp, for a preamp for my AR turntable, and used the the old console amp as a power amp. I played cassettes with a Radio Shack car deck, that flung the tapes out when you ejected them. I had speaker wire taped to the angled roof in a football goalpost style, and it worked well as an FM antenna.

Sears "bookshelf" AM/FM cassette stereo. I eventually supplanted its innards with a DJ mixer and a digitally tuned Sparkomatic car stereo, which worked very well on AM Stereo, and had auto reverse cassette (which had its cassette loader broken, so it had to be manually ran). I eventually upgraded the sparky to a Delco ETR radio, which worked better at FM, and could be tweaked to get TV CH6 (CIII Paris) audio in stereo (ableit without DBX).

I eventually got rid of most of that, for a Rotel integrated amp, Hitachi top loading cassette, Juiliette turntable (not as good as the AR), and half-decent speakers. I kept the Delco tuner though.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
This web site ought to fire up some of our long-dormant memory brain cells :D

http://www.tvhistory.tv/

The layout confused me at first because it listed Philips as a UK company rather than as Dutch. Actually the layout is about TV models available in the countries listed during the years shown. Nice that they show 1950s Rogers TV sets from Canada.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I was posting in another thread about what it would take to build an antenna test lab on the cheap when I started remembering all the great old 1950s-60s-70s test gear my dad had from his electronics days. I knew I'd posted at this site about a Heathkit oscilloscope I'd once built so I did a search and found this thread again (Post #37).

Now that we have the Antenna Research & Development forum I thought some of you would add to the great memories already in this thread about Retro Video gear.

Enjoy, and share some of those memories of Video gear from days gone by! :)

41 - 60 of 69 Posts