Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
My memory is a little sketchy on this since my roommates and I all owned different pieces.
+ TV was 15" color Panasonic "portable", you know the one with the collapsible handle on top. I believe it was "borrowed" from someone's cottage.
+ VCR was mono, something from Canadian Tire. The VCR audio connected to an AKAI amp with a Y cable so we could get sound in both channels.
+Speakers were JBL Decade 76 (or something like that). The previous tenant of the apartment left then when he moved out. The speakers are the only thing I remember well because the removal cloth grills were day-glow orange! I remember the sound being surprisingly clear for all the beer that spilled on the speakers.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
It depends what you mean HT. If you mean surround, I did poor man's rear surround with my Rotel amp once (when I got hold of a Hi-Fi VCR).

I had my satellite TV system hooked into my lounge stereo, and still do.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
classicsat said:
It depends what you mean HT. If you mean surround, I did poor man's rear surround with my Rotel amp once (when I got hold of a Hi-Fi VCR).

I had my satellite TV system hooked into my lounge stereo, and still do.
Let's define HT as more audio horsepower above and beyond the 30 cent speaker in most TV's and a tape/disc alternate to an off-the-air video source.

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
My first "home theater" (early 1990s) consisted of the following:
- 27" RCA TV
- JVC Hi-Fi VHS VCR
- Denon stereo receiver
- Paradigm 7se speakers

By mid-2003, it had morphed into the current - and very satisfying - set-up:
- Hitachi 51" widescreen CRT HDTV
- Panasonic progressive-scan DVD player
- Yamaha DD5.1 receiver
- Paradigm 7se mains + CC-370 center + Cinema 70 surrounds
- DefTech ProSub 200TL subwoofer

·
Registered
72 Posts
My first 'experience in HT' would have been a 19" Sansui TV...probably a Zellers special. A mono GE VCR hooked into a Sony minisystem that also had output for 'surround' speakers. (Used the y-cord just like dgb) I used a pair of Pioneer towers in the front, and the original shelf system speakers for the rears. I remember having to disconnect the rear speakers during some movies as they were simply too loud and drowned out the dialouge from the fronts. I think the system out put to all speakers at the same level, and it really did not have any surround processing, I think that it simply removed the dialouge somehow. This would have all been about 1998 or so and I was only 14.

A mere 8 years later and I am now running;

Harman Kardon AVR525
Harman Kardon FL8380
JBL Cinema Vision Series Loudspeakers
(CVSAT50 x 6, CVSUB50 x 2, CVCEN50 x 1)
Pioneer DV578A-S DVD/SACD Player
StarChoice/Motorola DSR315
Monster Power HTS 5100
Monster Cable Ultra Interconnects
(I threw the last two in there as a lot of people on these forums really hate Monster ;) - actually I worked at a large electronics store and they had a staff promo where we got awesome pricing on this stuff and I couldn't go wrong)

As for my display, funny story, I purchased a Sharp 37" LCD Panel. However when I nicely got it home and setup, I noticed a pixel out. Although most people would not notice it...I knew it was there and could not let it go. As a result I returned my purchase and took the money back for the time being. Any way, I did not want to return to the 32" CRT monster I had prior to the LCD, so I am now temporarily using the same tv (19" Sansui) that I used in my very 1st HT setup.

Anyway...If you read my whole post....good job!

bigb

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
bigb, your H/K AV receiver... I also have a 525, and was wndering if you have the same slow response (audio drop-outs) when digital audio drops out and returns?

Otherwise I love my 525 - and the drop-outs are by no means a deal breaker.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Eljay - As am I!! The bigest problem is that after returning the television, I came accross some reviews from the 'test bench' of one of the HT mags and it marked that TV as a fail...makes me feel a little uneasy.

Bent - Yes, I have had the same issues. It drives me bonkers when I am navigating through the menus on some DVD's, the menus are Dolby and the movie is DTS or DD and it takes a good 2 seconds or so to switch over. Just long enough to not hear the full THX sound bite (which I love - I know, I know). I had contacted HK at one point and was told that this is normal and that the receiver has a delay in this processing time. I would be curious if anyone out there has one of the HK DPR receivers and if it does the same thing. Or the 7300 - I would hope not, I was looking at that receiver at Futureshop the other day. A mere $3300.00!!

Now here is a question for you, have you ever had an issues with your sub settings. I like mine on LFE and L/R, but sometimes when i switch between a digital and analouge source, my sub setting reverts back to just LFE. HK told me that it was a cable thing, but as you can see above, I didnt cheap out on my cable. Its not a hughe paing, it takes like 2 seconds to put back but I would like to know if anyone else is having that issue. And I know that I am leading this off topic but sometimes you just gotta ask in the context of the thread!

bigb

·
Registered
36 Posts
1984, Sony Beta HiFi VCR, Akai Receiver, and a pair of Prolinear Stage 5 speakers, with a 20" Hitachi TV. It was great at the time. Still have the Beta and the speakers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
eljay said:
Good post, bigb! I had to chuckle when I read that you were back to your 19" Sansui - I sure hope you're able to resolve that issue before long! :D
Well good news, I finally went ahead and purchased the TV: a Sharp
LC32D4U - the one with the nice piano black finish! So I think my setup is finally complete...except for the PVR...and the DVD Mega changer...and the DVD recorder....man this hobby is expensive!:p

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
stampeder said:
When I was a kid (circa 1950s-60s) this was what a Home Theater usually looked like :D
My folks had one without the picture tube... did you grow up in Beverly Hills ?? :)

I wonder how much that unit you displayed would cost in 2006 dollars ? Anyone care to give it a stab ? I'm going to guess $1000 (give or take) in 1965 dollars (I don't have inflation charts handy... anyone?).

That would be a B&W tube ?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
On those old consoles the tube-type electronics kept the deep, rich hardwood nice and warm to the touch even in the winter. Depending on the year, some full size consoles had colour TVs in them but most had 24 to 26 inch B&W TVs. The audio amplifier may or may not have been stereo depending on the selling price. Likewise for shortwave frequencies, which the Telefunkens and other European non-TV models always featured, and which thus made them popular with immigrants to hear stations from back in the old country.

Regardless of brand, tuners seldom had FM Stereo because 1) there weren't many stereo stations around, and 2) the FM lock circuitry back then was not very good so it meant drifting was so bad it had to be left in mono anyways or you'd lose the station every once in awhile. Turntables were usually big, heavy, cast metal Garrards with ceramic cartridges on massive tonearms. As most of you know, TVs did not have Stereo sound until the 1980s, but those old 1950s-60s consoles tended to make mono TV audio very rich and bass-biased.

We had a huge stereo Silvertone console in French Provincial decor that was about 8 feet long by 2 1/2 feet wide and 3 feet tall and rested directly on the floor without legs. The speakers were paper-diaphragm one-way 12 inchers but could really belt it out when needed. Dad replaced our original turntable with a svelte, adjustable, moving coil cartridge Lenco turntable from Switzerland that sounded fantastic in comparison and didn't chisel-out the grooves on our new (1968-9) Doors and Led Zepellin albums like the old turntable did. :D

The large console models began to disappear by the early 1970s as the Japanese began marketing their component-style equipment in large volumes in North America.

The Home Theatre concept has been around a long time. :) I'm not that old, I just remember a lot of this from childhood.

·
Banned
227 Posts
Anyone ever own a Clairtone?

I was looking for a remote control code on a website for an older TV I have and they listed "Clairtone".

It got me thinking about the Clairtone console we had when I was growing up. Although the Clairtone on the site must have been different because I can't imagine any of the Canadian Clairtones having a remote control.

We had this model, the Signet. http://www-us.flickr.com/photos/cote/74552835/in/set-1600349/

I think my parents bought it at Eaton's. It was the only console my parents ever owned . They bought it as a piece of furniture for the living room, as opposed to how I would buy a TV today. I am guessing they bought it mid 60's and had it until they passed away in the early 2000's. And they were determined to keep that furniture.

During that time, the B&W TV died sometime in the 70's , replaced by a Heathkit Colour TV that my Dad built and had to modify the case to make it fit the space. That was a year long project. It also eventually died, and they ended up buying a Baycrest TV, that's only criteria was it fit the space. I still have, and use, that TV to this day. (The object of the remote control code search. The original remote died last week.)

For some reason, Dad decided the receiver was no good anymore and bought a replacement. Again researched to fit the original space. The original seemed fine to me as I hooked it up to a power supply, made a case for it, hooked it up to some crap Soundesign or whatnot speakers and used it for another ten years as my first stereo. Although did upgrade the speakers.

It still has the original Garrard turntable and speakers, both working fine. And, the speakers are great.

And, still a wonderful piece of furniture craftsmanship.

More info for those ( I guess, most) who have no idea what Clairtone was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clairtone_Sound_Corporation_Limited

and, who I had no idea founded it, and seemed to rebound:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Munk

A Canadian company who kicked ass, for a while anyway, being the bottom line.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Clairtone, Silvertone, Telefunken, Philco, my dad used to fix 'em all...

Other Canadian brands of hifi were sold by Rogers and Electrohome, and maybe some other companies I'm forgetting.

We had a Garrard turntable with a cast-metal tonearm that you could imagine carving the grooves out of our poor records! Years later I was at a house party in the 1980s in which the music was provided by records on a new turntable feeding into a tube-type 1967 RCA Canada Centennial model hi-fi console, and the sound/sight of it was beautiful! Days later I offered to buy it off the guy but it had blown up, and tubes were getting really hard to find. :D

I built a Heathkit Oscilloscope when I was a teenager.

Thanks mtlnorm for the memories.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
My parents had the exact same model as pictured. I can't ever remember a built in TV, but the radio, turntable and speakers remained active until they must have sold it. It WAS furniture, and was the focal point of our living room during my youth.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts