Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with a 1080p TV, the resolution is 1920 by 1080, giving 2073600 pixels. Now there are the same 2073600 pixels in the 60" 1080p TV, versus a 24" 1080p TV, correct? It's just that with the 60", the pixels bigger, correct?

My question is, with displays, and specifically computer monitors (even though I posted this in the TV forum and sure, one day we'll see Super HD come about), is there a limitation with screen size and resolution where one can't discern that much more clarity?

For instance, they now theoretically have computer monitors that can display a QXSGA resolution of 2560 by 2048. But with a 20" screen, would one notice the difference enough between this resolution and a display with a resolution of only 1680 by 1050? In larger screens this may be more apparent, but for smaller screens, I'm guessing it wouldn't be as discernible or not at all even.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

There are charts for this. How much you see is based on how close you are to the TV. A person in row 5 at the movie theater sees more detail than the guy that sits at the back of the theater.

Common sense stuff.

Sit far back enough and VHS looks like HD.

To see all 2 million pixels ... a person has to be sitting 1x to 3x the picture height back from the TV. Most are much further back than this ... so even a 4K display (4 million pixels) will not add anything to home viewing.

Regards

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the links. I can't get the first graph in the soundandvision link to work for some reason. I'd like to see it in large detail.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
I can't either, but I can read it. I click/dragged (or right click) it onto my (Mac) desktop and opened it and could enlarge it, although the quality was not that great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts