Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a simple Lexmark Z2300, and was thinking to save a few bucks by refilling the black cartridge. Turns out that there is some fuse that pops when the cartridge goes empty and when the software detects this when the printer software is called upon, it sends you the notice to get a new cartridge. You can't do any printing until a new cart is installed. So, even if you refill the cart it will not work due to this fuse. Gone are the days of just ignoring the warning and printing away...printer manufacturers have managed to force us into buying their ink cartridges.

Now, I am wondering, there must be someone out there who has the smarts to write a simple program to override the printer software, or maybe just modify the code, to allow you to get around this. Alter the printer software, so that it will ignore this empty cartridge signal, thus allowing you to refill the cartridge.

There probably is such a thing, just have to know where to look or where to ask. So I put this thread forward, that all of us who are paying through the nose for ink jet ink can maybe network around the web and see if there is anyone out there capable of helping us.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
All I can say, is if you have any intention of refilling inkjet cartridges, Lexmark is the last brand you want. Canon should be your first choice, at least their generation after their last non-chipped cartridges, which can be set to ignore cartridge ink levels (at your peril though). Epson would be your second choice.

IIRC, the way Lexmark (and I think HP) does it, is the cartridge has a serial number on its chip, and the printer remembers that serial number, and if that cartridge is exhausted. It holds only so many serial numbers (5 to 8 or the like), so if you have about 5 cartridges, you can cycle through them.

If you want cheap ink, get a Kodak printer.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
IMHO, the best solution is to get an inexpensive monochrome laser printer. Most are much more economical to use than ink jets. For example, I had a Brother laser for 5 years. It required two toner cartridges at $55. My previous ink jet required $60 in ink cartridges every 6 months. That's $600 in ink over 5 years. The Brother laser cost $150. Total cost over 5 years was $260.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I second the recommendation to avoid the Lexmark product. Ironically the Kodak printer is manufactured by Lexmark. :eek:

Your Z2300 is quite a few years old now - correct? I know it seems a waste to pitch it, but you might as well upgrade to something that is supported under Windows 7 (not using Vista drivers as Lexmark does with its older models), runs a little faster, and eliminates the headaches. HP or Canon all the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts