Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know whether I should post this here or in home computing... I hate convergence :D. Anyhow, another major argument why your household appliances should NOT be internet connected is at http://www.securityweek.com/researchers-hack-internet-enabled-tvs-discover-multiple-security-vulnerabilities?fb
Was your home lucky enough to get a new Internet enabled TV over the holidays? If so, you’re probably quite excited and enjoying the features of your new digital media hub while you sit back and sip on some eggnog or hot chocolate from your couch – which you should. But you may also want to be careful, as Internet TVs could be the newest avenue for cybercriminals to infiltrate your home or business. (I know, more FUD from a security vendor, but this is actually interesting stuff and they were able to show us how it was done)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hmmmmm - Reading this as I was about to hook my Blu-ray to my network...I think I'll delay that until further notice. :D

Thanks

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
One solution, that is now used by businesses, is to install A/V and malware scanning on the internet router. It's a more costly solution than PC software but may be more economical and much more manageable than installing A/V software on every internet enabled device in a home.

This is also an argument for using an HTPC instead of dedicated internet devices. HTPCs are more easily patched to defend against security exploits and can run up to date A/V software. It's a sure bet that any dedicated device can be hacked eventually. While that new internet enabled TV may not be a concern, there may be millions of compromised older TVs running rogue software in a few years. Spammers are probably working on ways to exploit them now.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
First the article that started this thread is quite old. Does anyone know if the manufacturer of the set has been identified yet? Surely by now they have a found a fix.

Second, I never thought about the possibility of hacking into an Internet TV until now. I'm more convinced than ever that I'll never activate the Internet features on my next TV, if it has them, for any reason. I've used the cumbersome disc image method of keeping my current BD firmware up to date thank heavens. I have enough trouble keeping my computer virus free as it is. Why add to my headaches?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's not just TVs. Everything from hydro meters to household thermostats are being internet enabled. A few years ago, a number of digital picture frames were infected with a virus so it could happen to anything from TVs to toasters. Internet enabled PVRs controlled by smart phones and PCs are becoming commonplace. Managing energy use and consumer device operation from a smart phone or tablet is just around the corner but it raises the spectre of households gone haywire due to malicious hacking.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
It's not just TVs. Everything from hydro meters to household thermostats are being internet enabled. A few years ago, a number of digital picture frames were infected with a virus so it could happen to anything from TVs to toasters. Internet enabled PVRs controlled by smart phones and PCs are becoming commonplace. Managing energy use and consumer device operation from a smart phone or tablet is just around the corner but it raises the spectre of households gone haywire due to malicious hacking.
I'd like to have my garage built like Gene Hackman's hideaway, in Enemy of the State :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts