Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Telus website, my area now supports 3 HD streams vs the 2 from when I signed up. What is required to have Telus move me to 3 HD streams? Does a tech even need to come to the house (install something or update software on the modem)? Or can it all be done over the phone or tech at the switch?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would think that it may be a minor change in configuration that they should be able to do over the phone rather than sending out a tech. Either way, you'll have to call them.

PS: I'm getting mine today! WOOOOO (sorry, just really excited ;) )

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am getting different answers from different CS people at Telus - no one seems to know. Shouldn't be this hard. should it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
In my case although it was possible in my area there were no open ports at first. I was told to phone back towards the end of the month because that's the time when people cancel or move. After a port came open a tech had to come and install a VDSL2 modem to enable the 3 rd Hd Stream.

The disappointing thing is that although I have a 3rd HD stream I'm not able to view it on the PVR, if I'm already recording 2 HD streams, at least in my experience. I have only been able to view this 3rd stream on another STB. I'm not sure all techs are aware of this. I contacted Tech support and was told at first that it should be possible to use all 3 Hd streams on the PVR, I was put through all manner of power offs and re-boots but to no avail, it turned out not to be possible. Can anyone else confirm my experience?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
C Goon,

When you say VDSL2 modem, do you mean something to replace the Dlink? Or do you mean a small white module that the phone line plugs into. I already have the small white module and it says VDSL on it - I don't think its a modem though?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

So I got installed this Telus branded black box in front of D link triple-play modem/router few weeks ago. I know that I'm on 2 HD and 1 SD streams, however when I checked Telus website I get following:

"Based on the information that you have provided, you can watch Optik TV on up to 6 TVs in your home. And you can watch 3 live programs in HD and 1 in standard definition at the same time"

How do I go about to get this 3 HD programs enabled on my setup? Would this also increase my internet speed (if yes, then how much)? Would this be some additional cost?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm only able to access the 3rd HD stream from another STB not the primary PVR, so if you have a 2nd HDTV try to see if you already have the 3rd HD stream.

·
Registered
84 Posts
C Goon, you have a problem - it is not normal that you cannot access the 3rd stream from your PVR. This should be reported until it is remedied.

As for upgrading from 2HD to 3HD for most people, they will not generally be doing this until early next year sometime, even if it says on their site that you can have 3 HD's. This is the word I have been given from a very reliable source.

·
Registered
30 Posts
C Goon, you have a problem - it is not normal that you cannot access the 3rd stream from your PVR. This should be reported until it is remedied.
Are you able to do this because the Tech support person I spoke to said it was normal?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think it is the norm for people to be able to stream the 3rd hd channel on the pvr...I haven't been able to do it. I have found a few people on here that can do it...but it sounded to me like it was just random that it worked for them. Someone correct me if I am wrong...I would love to get my last stream on my pvr but hasnt worked yet

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually called to inquire about this. I can't get 3HD channels. The tech said it was b/c I have a 19.2 meg profile. Only people with a 26 meg profile can get 3 HD channels at once. He even admitted that it was a bit misleading.

So right now, if i record something at 8p and then record two things at 9p (assuming they were all one hour shows), one of the 9p shows would get cut off the first 5 minutes b/c the 8p show keeps recording for another 5 minutes after the show has ended (so it's like having 3 streams). The way around it is to stop it from recording an extra 5 minutes after the first show ends.

It's really all dependent on your neighbourhood and the infrastructure around it. Telus is apparently doing upgrades to get existing people on the 26 meg profile (which I believe they say is VDSL2), but it's not posted as to what neighbourhoods will get what and when.

·
Super Moderator
16,861 Posts
So right now, if i record something at 8p and then record two things at 9p (assuming they were all one hour shows), one of the 9p shows would get cut off the first 5 minutes b/c the 8p show keeps recording for another 5 minutes after the show has ended (so it's like having 3 streams). The way around it is to stop it from recording an extra 5 minutes after the first show ends.
I don't really follow what you are saying. If the 8pm show ends at 9pm, the PVR will stop recording it and start recording the 2 shows at 9pm.

Mediaroom has "Soft Padding", which means that it starts recording 1 minute early and ends 2 minutes late, but only if a stream is available. If the 8pm show is on the same channel as one of the 9pm shows, the shows will overlap, since both shows use the same stream. In this case the 8pm show will end at 9:02 and the 9pm shows will start at 8:59.

·
Super Moderator
16,861 Posts
According to what I've read about U-verse, the Mediaroom PVR is limited to recording 2 HD and 2 SD at once.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes. C Goon, If you are on a 3HD 1SD profile and you can get 3 simultaneous HD streams, then it doesn't matter how you get those streams, ie; you can record all 3 HD's (or 4 if you add an SD recording) on the main PVR, or from any of the remote STB's. You can have all 3 HD streams on 3 different TV's or whatever combo you want, but yes, I can get all 3 on the PVR and an SD to boot, all simultaneously. For those not on this profile, obviously, you can not do this until you are upgraded.

·
Registered
57 Posts
@spoiledbyhd

I am on that same profile....but cannot record 3 hd at one time. My third stream can only be used on my second box...and from what I have heard, I am not the only one in this situation. I can record 2 hd and 1 sd...or up to 4 sd channels....but not 3 hd channels. My system info reads: streams 1sd/3hd (wan); 2sd/2hd (dev). I was told by my installer that I had a 32mb profile and I can verify with all streams going I still get internet speeds at over 12mb/s. Does anyone knows why some people get 3hd recordings while others dont?

·
Registered
14 Posts
"I don't really follow what you are saying. If the 8pm show ends at 9pm, the PVR will stop recording it and start recording the 2 shows at 9pm.

Mediaroom has "Soft Padding", which means that it starts recording 1 minute early and ends 2 minutes late, but only if a stream is available. If the 8pm show is on the same channel as one of the 9pm shows, the shows will overlap, since both shows use the same stream. In this case the 8pm show will end at 8:02 and the 9pm shows will start at 8:59."

say I am recording one program from 8-9 on channel A. And then from 9 -10, I'm recording two programs, one on channel B and the other on channel C, the 'soft padding', one of the 9-10 programs will get the first few minute cut off b/c of it.

It's all fine and dandy if it's on the same channel, but for me, it wasn't. trust me, i got a verbal lashing from my wife saying her program got cut off the first 5 minutes b/c I was recording something at 8.

In my situation, the softpadding involves 3 streams and i can't record 3 things at once.

·
Super Moderator
16,861 Posts
@bchan, it's called soft-padding because it only pads before and/or after the program if a stream is available. If the program from 8-9 ends at 9pm, then it will stop recording at 9pm, then start recording the other channels exactly at 9pm.

Perhaps your program schedule is really 8-9:01pm, in which case you will get a conflict message when you try to schedule the overlap. You have the option to resolve the conflict.

·
Registered
30 Posts
UPDATE: After 1hr 25mins on the phone with Tech Support (Sid in Manila, Philippines) I am now able to utilize all 3HD streams on the PVR. 2 recorded and 1 live. It appears that there was a wrong setting in the profile. Many thanks to Sid and his Network colleague's for solving the mystery.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts