Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stampeder has reported a post.

Reason:
Having Netflix threads in the HTPC forum doesn't seem right anymore now that so many non-HTPC devices provide it with a web connection (such as my Sony HDTV).

Could we move the Netflix threads over to the WWW forum instead? Likewise, Sony and Google TV have joined forces on providing TV streaming too, and Hulu is already streamed to a variety of Blu-ray players and HDTVs.

Maybe a sub-forum on web-based TV might be suitable some time in the future.
Post: Netflix coming to Canada this fall (Update: Now Available)
Forum: Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders
Assigned Moderators: N/A

Posted by: UnWell
Original Content:
When you say a comment like that, it makes me wonder what types of movies you're getting from your zip.ca subscription? Unless you have the unlimited plan and rent almost completely older or indie movies with very few new release blockbusters then you're dreaming thinking that that Netflix is ever going to be a replacement for Zip.

Absolutely everyone I know with Zip has a ziplist that's heavily loaded with new releases. We can never expect Netflix to compete with that. What do people expect for $7.99 per month?? Put yourself in the shoes of the studios and distributors and then what would you think about Netflix vs. DVD sales, PPV, or rental companies like Zip or Blockbuster.

I think the two services are complementary to each other and serve similar yet differnent purposes.
Dreaming or not, streaming movies is the future and will be here. It's almost there in the US, where the selection is much much more than the paltry selection we get up here. Until that day comes, Netflix Canada will be a novelty to me. And no, it's not complementary to zip.ca at this time. I'd rather keep my $8 bucks than watch old movies. I can get old movies from my cable. Of course, it's just one man's opinion.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Forum: Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders
With so much convergence coming it will be hard to separate the topics. Nearly all media extenders now can stream online video.

As you can see with the Netflix thread it covers not just the technical aspects but the content. The concept of Network Television, cable or specialty channels will have to be modified.

It will be Cable, Satellite, OTA or Internet. Maybe you will want to toss in Rental and Purchase as two other sources.

Interesting times.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Convergence, ain't it a bitch.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
With the introduction of Netflix and the upcoming launch of Google TV, I think at some point an internet TV source forum will definitely be necessary. Of course then you'll start seeing it bleed into the WWW forum (YouTube for example).

Just wait until Google TV starts running Android apps, and app threads start showing up in the wireless, HTPC, and ebook forums...

It's certainly an interesting time to be a tech enthusiast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts