Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
It's possible they just haven't announced the Canadian program yet.
Do you really believe that? They announced on May 4 that they were offering identity theft protection to US customers, and they announced on May 6 that they were "working incredibly hard to offer you something very similar". If they were planning to offer identity theft protection in Canada, they would have announced it by now, or at least announced that they were looking into it.

So, what do we get as a result of the PSN outage?

- identity theft protection? nope
- free Qriocity Music Unlimited? not yet available in canada on my PS3 or PSP, so nope.
- free PSN+ 30 days? Probably. However, it has the equivalent value of a free trial offer; no value after 30 days, and a transparent attempt to increase recurring subscription revenue
- free PS3/PSP games or movies? We'll wait and see whether this applies to Canada.
- anything else? probably not.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
We've definitely been given the proverbial shaft us Canadians when it comes to PSN's screw up.

I'm going to call in and ask for a refund on what's left on my PSN+ account plus something for identity theft, we'll see what Sony says, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Japan Refuses to Approve Sony's PSN Reboot, Demands Proof of Security

Nice to see some governments are looking out for their citizenry.

Has our government even mentioned it? (other than bluster to say they want to talk to Sony and find out what happened?)

But in Japan the network is still down and may remain so for some time. The Japanese government has refused to let Sony restart the network without providing more explicit proof that it is securing the network.

Kazushige Nobutani, the director of the Media and Content Industry department at the Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, comments, "We met with Sony on May 6 and 13, and basically we want two things from them. The first is preventative measures. As of May 13, Sony was incomplete in exercising measures that they said they will do on the May 1 press conference."

The second key point was that the Japanese government is demanding Sony address what steps it’s taking to protect customers whose credit card data may have been stolen. Sony Japan has been less specific about what measures it has been taking, as opposed to Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC , which announced that it would be providing customers with a year of free identity theft coverage.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
You can't prove that a system is secure in the same way that you can prove the pythagorean theorem. All you can do is fail to find a security vulnerability while pointing out how hard a you tried.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Well, according to the article, Sony has failed to fully implement preventative measures that they promised in a press conference. The Japanese government also wants Sony to protect customers whose credit card information may have been stolen (Sony hasn't offered any identity theft protection in Japan, either).

Refusing to allow Sony to relaunch their PSN in Japan is a big hit to Sony; Sony has nothing without the PSN/Qriocity. Not only do their PS3 and PSP, PSPGo, and NGP systems rely on the PSN, but also Sony Ericson "Playstation phones" as well. Sony's TVs and media devices also rely have Qriocity as a value-added feature, which is the same network as PSN. If they can't launch the PSN in Japan, it's going to cost them dearly.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
So, their network (except for the store) is up, and they've announced their Welcome Back package. This applies to US and Canada. Note that PSN Store isn't yet up, so most of this is inaccessible. My bets are that it'll be up tomorrow.

PS3 users 2 free games out of the following 5:

Dead Nation
inFAMOUS
LittleBigPlanet
Super Stardust HD
Wipeout HD + Fury

PSP owners also get 2 of the following 4 games:

LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
ModNation Racers
Pursuit Force
Killzone Liberation

A selection of "On Us" free video rentals over one weekend.

non-PS+ members get 30 days free PS+, existing PS+ subscribers get 60 days free

Music Unlimited Premium Trial customers will get an additional 30 days free premium subscription (not sure if this is available in Canada)

Existing Music Unlimited subscribers will get 30 days free + lost time

Playstation Home will be getting 100 free virtual items.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sony has made a lot of progress and with all this free stuff, they are doing their users right. Whether your a Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft fan they did a good job with giving us all free stuff

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
No amount of free content makes up for the theft of personal information, but it's certainly a good-will gesture Sony needed to make. The real test will be Sony's ability to provide a safe and secure online environment for long term, free from outages and disruptions.

I know there are a number of users who have created multiple PSN accounts - I wonder how Sony will differentiate between unique users and PSN IDs? (or if they even care). I'm thinking the 'welcome back' package may be limited to one set per machine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
They're ACTUALLY responding to these ungrateful people...WOW. Sony's going above and beyond today.

Sony shut down PSN to protect our info and have already probably spent a large sum of money to better PSN's security(OUR SECURITY) even though they've LOST 3 weeks of potential sales from the PS Store.

and NOW, on top of ALL that, they give us:

-A free month of PS Plus and Quirocity
-A weekend of free movie rentals
-2 Free PS3 games
-2 Free PSP games
-One HUNDRED free Home items And people STILL bitch? Incredible. The fact that we have the ability to play Infamous 2,Resistance 3, Uncharted 3, The Last Guardian, Yakuza 4, Twisted Metal, and Starhawk on a FREE online service would have been enough repayment.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
ungrateful?

wow man you sure dont care about your identity that much do you?

its pretty clear this is just a bribe to avoid tons of lawsuits (other then the class action type ones were seeing) and an attempt to save face.

i honestly could care less about the free stuff and would rather see credit monitoring but its good to see there doing something.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
ungrateful?

wow man you sure dont care about your identity that much do you?

its pretty clear this is just a bribe to avoid tons of lawsuits (other then the class action type ones were seeing) and an attempt to save face.

i honestly could care less about the free stuff and would rather see credit monitoring but its good to see there doing something.
My thoughts exactly, I don't want any of that free crap unless they're planning on giving me identity theft insurance as they did for their US base.

Where's my peace of mind, Sony?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Honestly, guys, if you think this Sony breach is the only time your info has ever leaked, you're really kidding yourselves. This is bad on Sony to be sure, but don't think for a second that you're suddenly at higher risk than you were a month ago.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Not sure if I actually said this elsewhere but I'm curious how many Fortune 500 companies could withstand a coordinated attack?

Willing to bet it's between few and none.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Well, I too want to see identity theft protection, but I don't expect I'll see it.

I've already deleted my cc info from my PSN profile. I'll take the 4 free games though, and the free movie weekend, once the PSN Store is back.

I don't think I'll get much benefit out of PSN+, especially considering that I wouldn't renew it after 30 days, so any potential benefit from PSN+ will be gone by the end of June. I'd be more grateful if they gave me access to the Comic store, but that's not about to happen either.

The only thing I've seen regarding Qriocity in Canada is a "Coming soon" app on my PSP for Music Unlimited. I don't have it on my PS3, and last I checked before the outage I didn't have the ability to get Qriocity either. So, no benefit there.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Not sure if I actually said this elsewhere but I'm curious how many Fortune 500 companies could withstand a coordinated attack?

Willing to bet it's between few and none.
According to Anonymous, the Sony Servers were out of date running unpatched applications with many known vulnerabilities.

Most Fortune 500 companies outsource their IT servers to big companies like IBM, HP, and so on so they likely have their servers properly patched.

My guess is SONY did all of this in-house so they let things slide.

In addition, Many Fortune 500 are often being probed by the Chinese, Russians etc looking for confidential corporate info so I suspect their servers are very well guarded.

·
Registered
200 Posts
When you guys stop b******, we'll stop saying it. Just how much money did it cost you while the service was down? Or did you have money stolen? Cause if you did, they're gonna take care of you. They said so

61 - 80 of 128 Posts