Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Makes no sense for Sony to stop ads now. They have to go on with business as usual.
And that kind of "bury your head in the sand" and pretend like nothing happened is exactly the way Sony has handled things to date. Personally, I think its a major mistake that has and will diminish the value of the Sony brand.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The biggest problem with the ads they're running at the moment is they are the SOCOM 4 ones (at least the ones I've seen.) They're emphasising the multi-player experience that people can't experience. It's not like the Uncharted 2 ads they ran, they'd be fine, these ones are pretty much specifically about the online multiplayer.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The biggest problem with the ads they're running at the moment is they are the SOCOM 4 ones (at least the ones I've seen.) They're emphasising the multi-player experience that people can't experience. It's not like the Uncharted 2 ads they ran, they'd be fine, these ones are pretty much specifically about the online multiplayer.
At least in the SOCOM commercial all the players are in the same room together. I wonder if Sony tweaked the ad before it was aired?

·
Registered
280 Posts
If it's not back by E3, heads will roll at Sony.

Hopefully consumers will have learned a valuable lesson and use either points cards or prepaid credit cards to pay.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Logged in and downloading an update!

update: 60 seconds later, I'm offline and it looks like the download didn't happen. :(
Oh well I was planning to watch a video anyway.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/14/ps3-system-software-update/

We strongly recommend that all PSN account holders with PS3s update their systems to prepare for when PlayStation Network is back online. The release of this update is a critical step as we work to make PlayStation Network significantly more secure. Thank you for your continued support and patience.
The update downloaded and installed normally on my PS3. Of course, there's no visible change (until PSN comes back online).

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
And, according to the blog, they're going to be rolling out PSN very soon. There's a map of the US on the PS blog, and they'll update it once service has been restored to that State (not sure how they're doing it State by State). Of course there's no map of Canada... but I'd assume it should work for us in a few days.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I realize the US is the PS3's biggest market, but couldn't they at least pretend to care about the PSN users outside of the US? I don't understand why 99.9% of all the updates are US-centric. If this continues, Sony should set up separate blogs that address issues that are specific to other countries.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Personally, I think its a major mistake that has and will diminish the value of the Sony brand.
At this point the Sony brand is a mere shadow of what it was in the 80's and 90's. At one point if I saw a Sony TV I would have subconsciously felt that it must be higher quality than comparable TVs from Samsung or Sharp. This impression is gone. Now I consider those brands to be (if anything) near equals.

This translates into Sony no longer being able to command a "brand premium" in the same way that companies like BMW or Apple do.

I think a big part of this would be a major units of the company depending on "legacy" business like CD/DVD sales that made the Sony MP3 players make silly design decisions like requiring MP3s be transcoded to ATRAC, or investing heavily in the "next gen" Blu-ray format while the real innovation is happening in the streaming video arena.

I'm skeptical that Sony will be able to again become the same premium brand that they were decades ago. The the first step in doing so would be avoiding these embarrassing episodes of violations of their customers confidence. I like the idea of airing a commercial the directly addresses these issues, because without that sort of communication I doubt their customers will start to trust them again for a long time, even after PSN is back online.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I realize the US is the PS3's biggest market, but couldn't they at least pretend to care about the PSN users outside of the US? I don't understand why 99.9% of all the updates are US-centric. If this continues, Sony should set up separate blogs that address issues that are specific to other countries.
Well, keep in mind the blog that we're all going to is blog.US.playstation.com - it's the US blog. If you went to the EU blog you'd see it's all EU information. Unfortunately Canada doesn't have a blog (Canadian posts go on the US blog).

Hilarious thing right now - all the replies on the blog post are from "jitender" - every user posting is that (and on the official forums as well). Uh oh....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I changed my password this morning as well.
Got my Portal 2 on my PC from the PS3 version, so now I can happily cancel my PSN account as I no longer will be using the PS3 for gaming.
Going back to it's original use of Blu-Ray playback.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Is Sony going to allow real deletion of accounts from their database?

If it is only virtual (by use of a flag in the database), then there is not much value in avoiding using your account.

The only steps that will prevent the risk of further data to lose would be avoiding adding in new credit card info, correcting any inaccurate personal info and the use of a password that is common to other accounts.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Turns out i didn't have any up to date information in PSN given that I moved in November and had a new credit card due to fraud from another recent hack...so I guess I avoided any grief from the one.

Now i just have to hope that none of the other three hacks I have been subjected to this year affect me adversely. (one of which was far more serious than PSN)

·
Registered
200 Posts
whoohoo back online ,seems like an eternity ,see u online ps gamers ,thumbs up!!!!!!
In a released statement, Blumenthal praised Sony's plan to offer identity theft protection for PSN users, and called it a "strong first step toward protecting millions of consumers." He still believes Sony could've warned users earlier (and in that respect, we agree), but in the long run, this breach should remind us that "our laws and data security resources must keep pace with advancing technology." Cyber-terrorism is bound to be a very real problem in the coming years, and as most security experts say, your information isn't really safe anywhere.

41 - 60 of 128 Posts