Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sony is not a Japanese company. It's a global company headquartered in Japan. It has been run by Howard Stringer for about six years.

My guess is that Sony's failure to communicate for a week on such a huge matter was personally approved by Mr. Stringer.

Sir Howard Stringer (born February 19, 1942) is a Welsh-born American businessman and the chairman, president and CEO of Sony Corporation.

Stringer began work at Sony in May 1997 as president of their US business (Sony Corporation of America). He was made a Sony group executive officer in May 1998.

Since June 2005, he has been chairman and CEO of Sony overseeing the entire businesses of Sony, including its media and electronics subsidiaries such as the Sony Computer Entertainment, Sony Music Entertainment, Sony Electronics, Sony Pictures Entertainment and Sony Financial Holdings.

On April 1, 2009, he became president of Sony Corporation and ousted Ryoji Chubachi in what was seen as prelude to broader corporate restructuring. Stringer also serves as executive chairman and chief executive officer of Sony Corporation of America. He has been president of Sony Broadband Entertainment Corporation since March 2000.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Here's the latest:

"I know you all want to know exactly when the services will be restored. At this time, I can’t give you an exact date, as it will likely be at least a few more days. We’re terribly sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this process."

·
Registered
461 Posts
Axe to Grind ????

Sounds to me that Ryoji Chubachi probably didn't take to well to being ousted. :eek:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sony will turn it back on when they believe it's safe.But i see many people already complaining that they will switch to xbox bla bla would you guys rather have it turned on without it being safe and then being shut down within a few days or wait till they think it's right to turn it back online??

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
I have little problem with a long downtime if they are making it "safer". The problem I have is with how the company handled this whole mess.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I think Sony's behavior so far is doing an excellent job of alienating their customers and their partners (Value, Bethesda, etc). The question is: will Nintendo and Microsoft capitalize on Sony's failures.

I've seen a number of articles speculating on what the financial cost of this security breach and subsequent outage to Sony will be, with estimates north of 1 billion dollars.

My opinion: if there ever was a company that deserves a backlash from it's customers it's Sony. I just see this event as karma smacking them in the face for when Sony intentionally distributed malware to their customers in the form of a rootkit loaded on audio CDs.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
See, I don't have a problem with how they handled it. They left customers know once they had confirmed the situation. Unfortunately it was the worst-case, but what if their initial announcement had been "OMG, we were hacked, and they stole everything, so run out and cancel your credit cards!!!" only to realize that it was something minor? Obviously that's not what happened, and pretty much everything that could have gone wrong did, but I don't feel as though Sony was purposely hiding everything from us, they just needed to confirm what was taken before announcing it.

I want PSN back up so I can go on the store and buy a few things.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We've kind of beaten the "how Sony handled in the issue" in the other thread, lets keep this one focused on the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I find it ironic that, in the midst of this whole debacle, Rogers wireless is offering free PS3s to new customers. Pretty poor timing on their part.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
it'll be in Sonys best interest to get back online asap,

many gamers take their online seriously, without it, as a gaming console, they might as well be a console generation behind,

good thing for ps3 it has a variety of uses, IMO 360 without online is a paper weight

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What I find especially annoying about Sony is they are still running all their Playstation ads.

It's like a meat manufacturer advertising their meats after their plants have been shut down for ecoli outbreaks Or a drug manufacturer advertising after their drugs have been recalled.

Everytime I see the Kevin Butler ads (as I FF through them) I think how arrogant Sony is to be airing them at this time. Take them off the air!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I do not think it is arrogance behind the advertising. A PS3 will still work out of the box (minus PSN related stuff). They still need to sell consoles and software to stay in the videogame business. I think it is silly to not acknowledge that functionality is temporarily limited.

While I do not think it is as bad as the Maple Leaf listeriosis outbreak (nobody has died here), I think that Maple Leaf did a good job in pulling all normal ads and publicly addressing the issue at hand.

They should have Kevin Butler do a serious commercial about the facts of what happened and what they are endeavouring to accomplish during the outage. In a sense, they need to take ownership of what they are doing to reestablish consumer confidence. But that would go against the minimal communication policy they have been following.

Cheers

BTW, I blame Toshiba for the scope of the data theft and specifically for my data being in the 75+ million compromised. Had they done a better job to win the HD format war, I know I would not have chosen a PS3 as a present gen console. ;)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
A PS3 will still work out of the box (minus PSN related stuff). They still need to sell consoles and software to stay in the videogame business.
But the tagline is "it does everything". Lot of irony there.

They should have Kevin Butler do a serious commercial about the facts of what happened and what they are endeavouring to accomplish during the outage. In a sense, they need to take ownership of what they are doing to reestablish consumer confidence. But that would go against the minimal communication policy they have been following.
I agree that a new commercial that tackles the issue head on is in order and it should have been out by now.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Makes no sense for Sony to stop ads now. They have to go on with business as usual.

And they shouldn't put out any ads to address the issue just yet. Not until the worst is behind them.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
<FYI: this post was responding to a very rude remark by another use which has been removed>

The OtherOS feature allowed users to keep all of the existing gaming features of the PS3, plus install Linux as a dual-boot OS.

Most of the people who used the OtherOS feature probably wanted a Linux-capable machine anyway, so they're saving at least $600 on a separate computer to run Linux. Plus, the original PS3s capable of running Linux would have been high-end for their time, with a high-end Cell processor, HDMI ports, Wi-Fi, Blu-Ray, USB, Bluetooth, memory card slots, and upgradable SATA hard drives.

These original consoles also supported PSOne & PS2 games, and the OtherOS was an advertised and marketed feature. If you're going to buy a PS3 anyway, and you also need a computer, why not take advantage of the existing built-in features of your console?

When Sony removed the advertised feature in April 2010, it forced people using the OtherOS feature to make a choice: either lose your OtherOS and all the data stored on your HD, or lose the ability to play games and Blu-Rays on the system. Losing your OtherOS means you'd be out $500-$1000 for a new computer to replace the PS3 feature you lost; losing your gaming ability means you're out $300+ for a new PS3 that will no longer play your PS2 games.

It also resulted in a breach of all sorts of laws, such as "fraudulent misrepresentation", "fitness for a particular purpose", and "false advertising", thereby prompting several class-action lawsuits vs Sony, and gave people a reason to try to hack sony firmwares so they could continue using their OtherOS feature. Since that time, there have been back-and-forths with hackers releasing a custom firmware (CFW), followed by Sony releasing a "security update" FW to block the CFW. This finally culminated in the infamous "GeoHot" case earlier this year, followed by an attack by "Anonymous" in early April, followed by an attack (presumably by someone else), April 19 - present.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It wasn't an "advertised feature" - there was absolutely no ads that touted the OtherOS feature, no commercials, and nothing mentioned on the packaging. It was something that existed that hardly anyone used, or even knew about.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
to run it as a media server, I paid less than $400 for mine and was able to use it for linux when it came out,

you'd have a hard time getting any computer with a bluetooth remote, HDMI and optical audio for anywhere near $400 to use as a media center,

it may not have been an advertised feature but it was well known, and even though I hadn't got around to using it yet I had planned on it,

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Some posts removed, some posts edited and one member temporarily banned.

Digital Home has a zero tolerance for members who post derogatory and inflammatory posts and especially for posts that call other members losers or "zit faced" nerds or imply they are losers because of their beliefs

If user have a problem with a post, then report it as a bad post and let the mods take care of it. Posting insults back will only result in you getting an infraction as well.

21 - 40 of 128 Posts