1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Sorry to nitpick, Hugh, but the article says "by May 31" not "on May 31." They've also been planning to restart the service in chunks, with PSN (online gaming) going up sooner than the store, so May 31 could refer to the reboot of the store.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are giving you a chance to download a game from "selected content" (changed title to by as opposed to on)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It'll be interesting to see whether the list of free games is different depending on the territory (my guess is that it will). There are tons of people with multiple accounts in different regions.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Considering the rather public war of words Sony has had with Anonymous, it's not inconceivable that PSN will be subject to yet more attacks once it's back online - even if Anonymous aren't directly involved, it's just bad press for Sony all around.

I'm sure the security of the 'new and improved' network will be put to the test pretty quickly once it's back up and running, which to be honest, makes me wary of continuing to share any personal information with Sony. I would be removing/deleting my account from PSN entirely if it weren't a requirement for online play.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hope the people at Sony who are responsible for ( Preventing an attack like this in the first place) got fired...... This is not acceptable at all. Personally I feel a free 5 dollar game or whatever isn't going to make many people forget this ever happened....
At this point, Sony is beyond damage control to those who love online gaming. A CBC radio host said it best, Sony is the "poster child" for poor online security..

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'm still waiting for PSN so I can get my free copy of Portal 2 for PC.
Then I'll be cancelling my PSN account and sticking to using my PS3 as a BD player.

Is it necessary to have a PSN account to get BD updates?
If so, I guess I'll just enter a bunch of fake info.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Everyone still seems to have their rage focused solely on Sony.

Isn't anyone mad at the actual criminals here? You know, the hackers responsible for the instrusion and theft of information?

·
Registered
200 Posts
well put INZANE ,i hear you, hackers suck ,wish they'd lock them up for good.As for sony ,i commend them for there actions ,take your time fix it right, most sony users will be back ,the xbox crowd will stick to there box ,this is not nearly as bad as rrod fiascal ,i'll be patient and wait it out ,still have bout 20 games to finish anyways!!!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Everyone still seems to have their rage focused solely on Sony.

Isn't anyone mad at the actual criminals here? You know, the hackers responsible for the instrusion and theft of information?
There will always be malicious people on the internet, and companies that can't keep their servers locked down should not be storing people's private information in their databases.

pinner62 said:
As for sony ,i commend them for there actions ,take your time fix it right, most sony users will be back ,the xbox crowd will stick to there box ,this is not nearly as bad as rrod fiascal ,i'll be patient and wait it out ,still have bout 20 games to finish anyways!!!
I'm curious, which action are you commending Sony for? The poor communication with customers? The excessively long time that it will take before they can get their service back online? Their failed security measures that lead to them being vulnerable to an attack, thereby setting the conditions for the largest release of customer data (so far) on the internet?

Oh, you like the 30 days of PSN service that they promised - if that applies to Canadian customers. Well, three cheers for Sony!

·
Registered
200 Posts
we should thank sony for lasting this long and taking the steps to comeback these hackers. we should encourage sony, ms, nintendo, developers to go after these scumbags, as well as provide anything we can to ensure they succeed in going after them.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
If it takes that long, then the PSN team is truly incompetent. A gap that large in the business continuity plan for an operation as big as PSN/SOE calls management fitness into question.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
will be interesting to see how much of an impact this will take on PS3 sales,
to be down for over a month seems like a lot to me,

and missed out on a CoD double xp to weekend, thats got to sting

·
Registered
7 Posts
I trusted Sony to protect my best interests such as my name, address, credit card. FROM HACKERS. it was Sonys lack of security to "protect me" that make's me Rage.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Ridiculous situation with another Japanese company that is incompetent and thinks they are the best. What a joke!.. Unimaginable down time. They can have my PS3 and all related paraphenalia for my cost. That's what they owe me. minus $10 for the entertainment I had. Arrogance at it's best.

·
Registered
258 Posts
another Japanese company that is incompetent and thinks they are the best
What does it matter that they are Japanese? There are plenty of arrogant and incompetent businesspeople in Canada and the U.S. I'd suggest that those are two of their defining characteristics, really.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts