Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like this might be an introductory offer (read "market test") for the iPad release, and might not translate immediately to AppleTV and iPods.

Personally, I'm spending about $20/month on televisions shows on iTunes right now, but I would say that's by far the exception, not the norm. If they want to capture significant share, they need to bring the price down and keep it down.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
For such an intelligent company, Apple sure has trouble working out retail. The pricing for TV shows on iTunes is poorly thought out. I think Apple needs to hire some retail experts to revamp all of its pricing.

I wanted to watch the last 4 or 5 episodes of Defying Gravity which was cancelled and wasn't being shown in HD but it would have cost me close to $20. Twenty dollars for a few episodes of a cancelled show is too much.

Charging $3.49 an HD episode is just too high for 99% of the stuff being sold. Sure charge $3.49 for episodes in the first couple of weeks after they come out but as time goes on, you need to start pricing the older stuff at a price that will make me want to buy.

Also the lack of incentives for buying a whole season is foolish. I would love to buy whole seasons of some older shows that I missed but $60 a season is too high.

They would be smart to work with the studios, have sales and promotions that would turn the store into a real retail environment.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Also the lack of incentives for buying a whole season is foolish. I would love to buy whole seasons of some older shows that I missed but $60 a season is too high.
I agree, especially since you can probably buy the DVD copy of the entire season for half of what Apple sells some of them for.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From where I'm sitting, it's the studios that are calling the pricing shots, and Apple hasn't been able to wrestle them into position. In fact, I'd say Apple is losing ground in this area, considering the recent 30% price increase that the studios demanded on music in return for DRM-free tracks.

I agree with the ridiculous pricing on HD episodes. I've all but stopped buying them in favour of SD.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
it's the studios that are calling the pricing shots
No that's not true. This has been a huge issue between the studios / music companies and Apple.

Just getting Apple to go .69, .99 and $1.29 on songs was a huge victory by the music company's who hated the 99 cents a song regime.

The studio's have been selling new releases on VHS and DVD for a lot more than back catalogue for years. They want to extend that same type of pricing model to the web so movies/shows would be premium priced in the first 28 days and then prices would be reduced but Apple has so far refused.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the music side, I agree that Apple had resisted flexible pricing for the longest time, but I think the issue of high TV episode pricing is the studio's resistance to lower prices to maximise profit.

That seems to be supported by the quoted article.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts