Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 160 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
From right there (newegg.ca). On November 30, 2013 it was $54.99 a piece.

EDIT: I see, I got 2 of individual 8GB modules, instead of 2 matched 8GB modules. Does matching even matter if you are not over-clocking?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #144

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
On SSD, here's an interesting one. I am going for a small SSD boot drive in my HTPC, No other drive at this time. The 120GB Samsung EVO SSD is a model I like and its now available in both a 2.5 SATA and an mSATA configuration. The NUC I am considering can handle either one.

Do I purchase the 2.5" SATA version and leave the mSATA free for future possible use? or
Do I purchase the mSATA version and leave the 2.5" slot SATA free for future possible use?
Or does it not matter?

My sense is down the road, as the world gets smaller, there may be more mSATA options than SATA options, so I should go for the 2.5 now, leaving th mSATA slot free. Also the 2.5 may easier to find ( and perhaps slightly cheaper).

·
Registered
991 Posts
CL-9 or CL-11 ??
The smaller the number, the faster the RAM (lower latency), the more expensive. Both will work.
Look for a decent name and a good deal. With the number of players left, RAM is pretty much commodity...
Or does it not matter?

My sense is down the road, as the world gets smaller, there may be more mSATA options than SATA options...
In real life it does not, milliseconds here or there dont make much of a difference.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110-7.html
Next generation mSATA drives will require support that this mobo most likely does not offer (e.g. SATAII vs. SATAIII)
Maybe even a different socket (e.g. DDR2 vs. DDR3)...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On SSD, here's an interesting one. I am going for a small SSD boot drive in my HTPC, No other drive at this time. The 120GB Samsung EVO SSD is a model I like and its now available in both a 2.5 SATA and an mSATA configuration. The NUC I am considering can handle either one.

Do I purchase the 2.5" SATA version and leave the mSATA free for future possible use? or
Do I purchase the mSATA version and leave the 2.5" slot SATA free for future possible use?
Or does it not matter?

My sense is down the road, as the world gets smaller, there may be more mSATA options than SATA options, so I should go for the 2.5 now, leaving th mSATA slot free. Also the 2.5 may easier to find ( and perhaps slightly cheaper).
Personally.. I would put the mSATA... specially if its only an SSD, etc.

that drive, the os drive, is likely really not to change, etc that much.. likely in future, if you were to add another, would just be pure storage...
while you could add another SSD, just as easily add a regular HDD... much more choices in regular sata for these, at much cheaper.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #151 (Edited)
The only reason to go NUC is physical size. If I have to pay upwards of $900 vs $500 or less, I would try to make due with a mini-ITX system,...
FWIW, I based my price quote on the MyMedia08, which is high to begin with....
The goal is not to build the cheapest computer that can be called HTPC, but one having desired features...
Agree completely its not about price. .. more about function as you say, and the good stuff re flexibility, reliability, power consumption, etc. And of course we all look for great value in the process.

I do like both the DIY and NUC options. I am currently leaning to the new larger NUCs as it meets my needs and while it has less flexibility vs DIY, it has, for me, less "component uncertainty" ; that is , it's hard to find an "all-in" definitve list of 2 or 3 DIY alternatives to compare against the NUC. Its second-nature those who have built many, but its hard to see the full picture for the noobies trying to join the dots. This is especailly true when it comes to CPU/Case/PSU cooling.

As to price, from what I see up here is in the fog, apples to apples, on a decent enterainment type HTPC. yes the DIY option may be slightly cheaper, but still not $400 apart.

Below is an example. If I am way off, please correct me, I concede I am green on this. Most pricing is off newegg.ca or canadacomputuers . And the "??" items are the uncertain" items for me, and woud likely very case to case:

DIY Example:
1) CPU: Intel Core™ i3-4340 Processor: $165
2) M/B: Gigabyte H87N-WIFI Motherboard: $120
3) CASE: Silverstone SG05 Black Case w/ 450w PS: $130
4) PSU: Power Supply : Incl (updated)
5) COOLING-PSU: ??
6) COOLING-Case: ??
7) COOLING-CPU: ??
8) MEMORY: Kingston 8 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (2 x KTL-TP3C/4G) : $95
9) SSD: Samsung 120GB SSD Boot Drive - $100
10)WIRELESS K/B: Wireless Keyboard - $30
11)REMOTE IR: IR Media Centte Remote: - $20
12 REMOTE IR Receiver: ???
13)OSS Win 8.1 OEM - $115
14)ODD/HDD - None
TOTAL:$ 775 plus ??? (could be zero in this example)

NUC:
1) CPU: Intel i5-4250U BOXD54250WYKH Kit w/SATA and SATA - $420 (i3 much cheaper)
2) M/B: Incl
3) CASE: Incl
4) PSU:Incl
5) COOLING-PSU: Incl
6) COOLING-Case: Incl
7) COOLING-CPU: Incl
8) MEMORY:Kingston 8 GB DDR3L 1600 RAM (2 of KVR16LS11/4) - $100
9) SSD:Samsung 120GB SSD Boot Drive - $100
10)WIRELESS K/B: Wireless Keyboard - $30
11)REMOTE IR: IR Media Centte Remote: - $20
12 REMOTE IR Receiver:Incl
13)OSS: Win 8.1 OEM - $115
14)ODD/HDD - None
TOTAL : $785

·
Registered
991 Posts
SG05/SG06 is $40-$50 without a power supply
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Search/Products?Search=sg05

If buying separately, it must be an SFX-type PS
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007656&IsNodeId=1&Description=sfx power supply&name=Power Supplies&Order=BESTMATCH

You can get the mobo+8GB (one stick!) here for $25 less
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_H87NWIFI_8GB

You can get the NUC RAM (SODIMM) for less
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX43546

EDIT:
Peripherals, IR, OS, ODD is personal. All needed fans are included.
The packages seem complete.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Many of the components in the post #151 examples could be purchased significantly cheaper. One popular Canadian site offers frequent sales and price matching so it's not difficult to knock 10%-20% or more off most of those prices in a single order. For example, 8GB Kingston HyperX RAM varies from $57 to $129 on shopbot.ca. The price matching site lists it on sale at $88.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
The prices in post 151 were not so much to show the cheapest cost to buy a specific product. The point was to compare the relative cost of DIY vs NUC, and that they are pretty close. Sales, price drops, boxing days specials etc apply to both. If other vendors sell components significant cheaper, it would apply to both options.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Lots of good resources, manufacturers., vendors stuff on this thread. I've tried to capture most of them on my reference page. Just pulling together stuff for my own convenience, initially developed as a home page for a future HTPC, but even finding it useful when browsing/viewing content on the iPad , and shopping around for purchases. Might be helpful to others: http://tv.mediamanhost.com. Hit refresh if you checked out an earlier version.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Last week I put i5 NUC together for my HTPC running XBMC, and for some other light server duties. Base box was $396.69, 16GB (2x8GB) of G.Skill 1600 CL9 RAM was $109.98, and Plextor M5M 128GB mSATA SSD was $109.99.....
Thanks for the ordering tips re cable, and readiness tips re firmware and driver. The NUC/XBMC/Win8.1 (perhaps in at KH1 height), is a exactly what I am considering (vs mini-ITX alternative).

Now that you have had it for a while, how is it working out? Any issues re boot-ups or crashes, or dropouts or noise?

I've been keeping half an eye on the NUC forums ; there are only a handful of issues posted, so that's encouraging!. Also, Intel does post detailed troubleshooting tips, so that's also encouraging. Have you encountered any of these issues posted there re HDMI handshaking, memory issues, bootable device errors?

Over the years, my many traditional desktops have has all sorts of issues to deal with ; eventually they all get resolved!

·
Registered
734 Posts
As an XBMC newby, it rocks! Not a single HW/OS issue so far. I'm currently in the process of seting MCE remote as I like it. Takes some reading and messing with XML file, but it's not that hard. I did not have mini HDMI-to-HDMI cable immediately, so I used remote desktop to set many things in advance. Interestingly, IR remote driver would not install properly. It needs to be connected to monitor/TV in order to install. Strange.

I have it connected to Denon AVR via HDMI and from there to 60" plasma. Video resolution auto-discovery would set desktop resolution to 1366x768 (probably Denon in the middle messed up). I immediately changed it to native [email protected] Next reboot I got dialog saying that 1920x1080 is not native resolution and that it would be better to set it to 1366x768. Luckily, there's checkbox to tell it not to bother you any more, and it didn't.

I keep it in suspend mode while not in use (blue LED on top is blinking while device is asleep). Wake up via remote is something like 2-3 seconds to TV screen. Impressive.

And so far, no memory issues. RAM usage is steady. I keep it in full screen, rather than true full screen mode. Easy to flip back to other applications if I need to. Haven't noticed any playback issues because of that. I think NUC has enough horsepower to handle that.

Once I understand most of XBMC features and configuration possibilities, I'll start playing with optimization options (like true full screen), and move to newer builds like Gotham, etc. For now, no need to trip on more than one thing at the time.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Sounds great! Glad things are systematically working out. As you say, one challenge at a time.

Re remote control, do users typical use more than one of the following ?
- wireless keyboard/mouse
- IR media remote
- android/IOS app

I know the wife will definitely need a remote or a tablet app.. and I figure I will at least need the keyboard/mouse for setup (unless I use remote desktop).

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sounds great! Glad things are systematically working out. As you say, one challenge at a time.

Re remote control, do users typical use more than one of the following ?
- wireless keyboard/mouse
- IR media remote
- android/IOS app

I know the wife will definitely need a remote or a tablet app.. and I figure I will at least need the keyboard/mouse for setup (unless I use remote desktop).
Once set up, remote for day-to-day use. Wireless keyboard/mouse is needed when messing with BIOS. I use Logitech K400 that has integrated touchpad, so I don't need mouse. For much of system and XBMC configuration I'm using Windows Remote Desktop from my main PC.

141 - 160 of 361 Posts