Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone cracked open (or contemplated cracking open) the SA430 to replace the drive?

I peeked through the bottom of the box Telus supplied for MR and notice a WD 320GB SATA drive inside (have a 500GB drive sitting idle). Given that MR uses Windows CE as an OS, it would be easy to clone the MR drive on a PC and then swap a bigger one in.

·
Super Moderator
17,496 Posts
You may want to search for U-verse user experiences. They use Cisco STBs and Mediaroom, but their STBs are rental-only so not too many users are brave enough to attempt the upgrade.

What I have read is that Win CE supports a max of about 500 GB. Several people have tried unsuccessfully. The only drives that I have heard that work are Seagate.

1. ST3500320AS (7200.11) 500 GB
2. ST3500321CS 500 GB

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. As it happens, the idle drive I have is a Seagate ST3500630AS (500GB 7200.10 Barracuda) so it may work though very noisy. Just have to find the security bit set I got from Summit Tools.....

The OEM drive on my Cisco-branded (or Scientific Atlanta - A Cisco Company) PVR (rented free on 3 year contract) is a WD 3200AAJS.

FWIW, U-verse is what AT&T calls its MediaRoom IPTV product.

·
Super Moderator
17,496 Posts
According to what I've read, the STB sends a code back to the head-end when it formats a new drive, so if you do this with a rental box, you're definitely taking a chance.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Ive contemplated it too, just have not had the time to do it. I have a ton of drives kicking around so finding one that works should not be an issue. One thing I would like to try when pulling the drive is to see what format the video saves are done in and if they are encrypted.

I think I will sit back and see what you come up with before playing myself :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dr.Dave said:
According to what I've read, the STB sends a code back to the head-end when it formats a new drive, so if you do this with a rental box, you're definitely taking a chance.
I'll have to read if you have to power up holding the power button and then pressing the OK/Down button combo to force a disaster recovery operation that forces the format.

Otherwise I'll start by clong the drive which should avoid the box phoning home.

·
Banned
124 Posts
Just a word of warning. The size of the harddrive is logged in a database, among other details. Modifying a rental box would void any warranty and could result in an unexpected charge on your bill.

It's somewhat unlikely, but be forewarned that this information is easily visible to Telus if they run an audit on the equipment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Telus Cisco430 PVR Box Hard Drive Question

Hey all,

Anyone know if the 320Gb drive inside the PVR can be upgraded? Since there are 500 and 750Gb drives that should fit inside, just wondering if anyone knows if it is a simple swap out for a larger drive or if it can even be done at all.

Reason? Just to store more without having to delete as often.

Thanks,
Dan.

·
Registered
980 Posts
PVR HDD Upgrade

Maybe its been talked about, but is it possible to swap out the 320GB to like a 500, 750 or 1TB drive?

·
Registered
272 Posts
As Dr Dave and others have suggested. It's not official supported. Telus will know that you've changed the hard drive out and it may, may not work. as they have said the information is sent to head end to Telus, With new updates
I wouldn't even be surprised if the system might even lock you out, (the Pvr/HD STB) and/or may have some kinda encrypted/security check to make sure unit is using correct hard drive on first boot when connects to head end and/or some other measures.. If you own your own unit and wish to take the chance.. I guess that is up to you..

It would be nice if Telus would support a bigger hard drive like 500 or so. but perhaps in Time Cisco/Telus/Microsoft will allow for bigger hd or turn on USB for external hd. As other have said, It's strange that its not supported yet. Other Cable/Sat do support this.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well there is a safer legal way to back up programs off of the DVR.
I do it all the time and it works great.
you need 2 new pieces of hardware and an optional 3rd program.
1-Happauge HD PVR - to copy to computer. (i have 3 external hard drives - 2 for backups and the 3rd for playback/storage)
2- WD Live + WD Elements ext hard drive. - for play back
3- VideoRedo H264 (optional) to edit/strip out commercials.

·
Registered
1 Posts
how to add a bigger hard drive to Optik PVR CIS430?

I've seen someone outside my area offering a service to increase the standard 320GB hard drive capacity for the Optik CIS430 to as much as 2TB, and if you aren't satisfied with the results he will return it to stock condition. Suggests it can be done, but little info exists on the Web.

Has anyone done this successfully, and if so, could you offer some pointers?

What I've gleaned so far is that:

1) info is included on the stock drive that would need to be copied to the bigger drive (requiring imaging software).

2) the 12v and 5v power supplies have been reversed in the stock drive so if you install it into another computer or enclosure to image the drive, the drive's electronics will fry (12v should power the HDD motor, 5v power the HDD electronics).

I upgraded my current TIVO hard drive to 1TB so am not too keen on going to 320GB when I switch to Telus. Also provides a useful insurance policy in the event of hard drive failure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
more info on upgrading the CIS430 would be appriciated, is there a guide? is it as simple as swapping the connectors on the 5v/12v and mirroring the drive?

·
Super Moderator
17,496 Posts
I upgraded my current TIVO hard drive to 1TB so am not too keen on going to 320GB when I switch to Telus.
You'll find that Telus records more hours/GB than TiVo since it stores the native datastream which is MPEG-4. TiVo series 2 encodes analog signals which takes more space. TiVo series 3 stores MPEG-2 OTA signals which take more space than MPEG-4. According to the Telus web site:
Record up to 115 hours of HD programming or 295 hours of standard definition programming.
In addition, I would be leery of anyone claiming that they can expand a Mediaroom PVR to 2 TB, since I've read several places that the underlying OS (Windows CE 5) only supports drives up to about 500 GB. If you want to proceed, I would suggest using a drive designed for a PVR, preferably the same manufacturer and series as the original.

·
Registered
162 Posts
since I've read several places that the underlying OS (Windows CE 5) only supports drives up to about 500 GB.
Where did you read that? Windows CE 5 has only a (theoretical) limit of 128 petabyes for the hd, using 48-bit LBA. If they happened to use FAT32, they'd be limited to 32gb partitions, so I doubt they did that. Where would a 500gb limit come from?

·
Super Moderator
17,496 Posts
Meestor_X, most of the info I've seen on the subject has been AT&T Mediaroom users experimenting with upgrading their hard drives. My understanding is that Mediaroom allocates a small FAT partition and the remainder of the drive as FAT32 for storing the recordings.

Mediaroom preallocates the FAT32 partition with 1 GB files and does it's own file management, presumably to avoid fragmentation and improve performance.

The 32GB limit was introduced in Windows 2000, because performance can degrade with large drives in a general computer environment. Windows 98 FDISK could create FAT32 partitions up to 512GB. Perhaps Windows CE 5 has the same limitation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
CIS 430 HDD Upgrade

I just purchased a CIS 430 HD PVR, and noticed that the 320gb WD Blue HDD is very easily assessable.
Has anyone had any experience replacing the HDD with a bigger one?
Idealy, i would like to put at a 2TB HDD in, but im assuming ill be lucky if it even supports 1TB.
I have read some people talking about it before, but no one actually doing it.
Is it possible?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts