Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good work.

I replaced the ludicrous 160GB with an internal 750 of the same kind, i.e., non SATA. What I noticed is that the more programs recorded, the longer I have to wait for the list to show up. But browsing through the list is pretty fast. Furthermore, getting the list to pop up again seems faster the second time (hard to believe that the 530 engineers would have coded for a listings cache but it sure looks like it!).

But the longer wait time is far worth it...

Anyways, I would be interested to find out if you notice a slow down as your list of recordings grows...

P.S. You don't by any chance took pictures you could share of your work did you?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I will let you know about the load times.

As far as pictures go, no, I didn’t take any. To be honest, I only came across one part of the installation that would have benefited from pictures, and that’s the order of the pin-out for the external USB cable. In my case, the 4 wires leading to my floppy connector are all black, so a picture might actually be more confusing.

If there’s anything unclear about the process, feel free to ask away.

I have ordered some bits and pieces to make my install even cleaner. I’m going to mount a USB A female connector on the “hole” in the back of the 530 where my wire currently passes, with a complete 4 pin cable to the header (as opposed to the spliced cable I have now, I’m concerned that when moving equipment the splice may come apart inside the 530.) This will also allow any type of external bay to be plugged in.

I’ll take pictures of that when I do it.

Meanwhile, I’m busy learning the differences between the 530 and my old Bell PVR…interesting, but fodder for a different thread.

Cheers,
Russ

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here's a minor update. Ever since I got the 2TB drive to work I have noticed some rather strange things. For example, if I switched to another channel the information at the bottom of the screen would be for something I watched previously.

Also, if I paused something I had previously recorded, often the system would lock up. Actually, the drive seemed to power off or not respond.

Today I added a jumper to the OPT1 feature on the Western Digitial drive. This feature sets the transfer rate at 150GB/sec, rather than the faster speeds which might be possible. Things seem to be more responsive (the info at the bottom of the screen is now right) and I can pause a recording and resume now.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't think the thread author would have ever imagined the progress that has taken place by skillful users on here, truly amazing.

Maybe the box should be designed, built and coded by an open source user community.
Chances are there is more talent here than resides in Cowtown.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hey NTBugtraq. I just want to let you know that your posts have been very informative. Lots of good sleuthing, trial and error.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If they do test, try it with and without the 7-8 jumper.
No way to tell what a VXWorks file system looks closer to, XP or WIN7.

Probably neither.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a bit confused. Why does the hard drive have to be a Seagate ? Why won't any IDE drive work ?

Does anyone have a way to read the data from a VxWorks formatted hard drive ?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,400 Posts
1. It doesn't have to be a Seagate, but based on experience in this forum, certain drives seem to work best with certain provider PVRs. If you wish to experiment with another drive, please feel free, but also accept any consequences.

2. No, the data is encrypted, as discussed in my response to your other thread. Please do not double/cross post questions - it causes extra work for you, for our members and for the mods.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The ORIGINAL reason for Seagates was the IDE <> USB adapter board was only physically designed to accommodate the IDE and power connector spacing of Seagate drives.

I have a couple of pre-production board spec'd to fit Maxtor drives, but they were crap.

I think the biggest IDE Seagate was 750GB, maybe 500GB.

No with using large SATA with adapters and external USB drives, the brand is less of a factor, but as 57 notes, some drives just work better in PVR service.

What was generally noted was that almost any drive above the OEM unit performed better.

It's believed the combination of 7200 RPM over 5400 RPM and large disk caches contribute significantly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
therealred...did you read my post a few posts above? Note no Seagate drive, 2TB WD drive, no use of the existing IDE<->USB board, etc...still working great after all these months (1378SD/344HD hours left currently.)

Cheers,
Russ

·
Registered
27 Posts
IDE Connection

The physical spacing between IDE Pin connection and Power connection on a Seagate Drive is about 1/16 of a inch different than say a Western Digital Drive
(sneaky)

And because the drive plugs into a FIXED spacing of IDE and power connection inside receiver only the seagate drive will work

(in most computers your IDE connection is a separate wire and power a separate wire that can me moved around to connect up, so any spacing difference on hard drive doesn't matter)

To overcome this you need do as NTbugtraq has done, or what I have used (click on my user name in Blue to the Left of this post to see a Album of photos of another setup version which I have been running for approaching 2 years now. That has been completely stable and trouble free)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is this thread still alive? Hopefully...

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and think it's great what people have accomplished here. So I'm having issues upgrading the hd in my 530. I was really excited when I found out I could upgrade my hard drive and gain more HD recording hours. So I went online and purchased a Seagate ST3750640A 750 GB drive...paid $115 US plus shipping and duty. The drive came in a sealed electrostatic bag and looked brand new. Well, 8 months went by until I finally decided to part ways with my recorded stuff and swap drives before the new season's started. Followed the instructions on here to perform the swap...and all went well, except the new 750 gb drive would not spin up. It just buzzed and made a "beeping" noise every few seconds. I am really dissapointed. So instead of spending big $$$ on another IDE HD, I've decided to do a SATA mod...but I don't know how to do it. I know some stuff about computers and electronics (built my own desktop, etc) but I'm no pro thats for sure. What things do I need? If I purchase the three items listed in 7ninty's post above, is that all I need (plus a SATA drive)? I need help, please!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ordered the three items listed above by 7ninty, so hopefully I can make this work now with a sata drive. I have a new 630 in the box waiting to be activated, but I have to deactivate my old 400 series reciever first, and then activate the new 630 in it's place. Is this easy? I have to be careful and keep within the 6 reciever per bill limit, as per SD. I haven't had the 530 that long (1.5 yrs) and it's been great but the storage capacity is too small. I also have the 530 connected to an HDMI splitter which connects a samsung 58" plasma through 75 feet of hdmi cable...and works flawlessly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sector Size???

Does anybody know if I must get a 512 sector SATA drive, or will the newer 4k drives work? Does it have to be a Seagate or WD? I was thinking of getting a Hitachi as I've had great luck with that brand of HDD over the years.
Any suggestions? Maybe a 3 TB!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Drives

In my experience any drive brand works, 2T and down (tried 3T but receiver only saw a portion of drive) don't know about the sectors, but have used older drives and the lastest 2T drives and they all worked no problem.

The 630 receivers only seem to work with 1T drive or smaller, again make does not seem to matter

201 - 220 of 232 Posts