Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Uniden corded base with four cordless units for about five years. It is time to replace the batteries. It seems that the replacement batteries (Nickel Metal Hydride) cost about $30 per (FS) and the replacement system will cost about the same. This does not make much sense to me. It seems like such a waste to throw away a perfectly good system just for the sake of batteries.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Future Shop charges absurd amounts ($29 or so) for the replacement batteries. These batteries can be found for less than a buck to about $7 for US addresses from Amazon. Other internet place in Canada charge about $17 per battery.

Any suggestions for decent quality batteries that will ship to Canada?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ebay Canada, Recently I have been buying camera batteries there for about $6-$8 each.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Ebay. Look specifically for sellers in Hong Kong. Not only are prices DIRT cheap, but shipping to Canada from Hong Kong is cheaper than coming from the US. I re-powered a Vtech for under 5 bucks, including shipping!

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
I've used Vendio/Battery Gallery in the US. They ship via US mail, which avoids broker fees and often avoids duty and taxes (but not always depending on the size of your order) As mentioned above, these places can usually be found through eBay, by searching for the Battery model number. You can also check out the reviews online for the various places.

Once I find a place on eBay, I usually go to their website directly, rather than purchasing through eBay. Your choice, sometimes it makes a bit of a difference.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Is it s DECT phone? If so, it might be worth it. Or buy off the shelf NiMH cells or individual cells with solder tabs and make your own, or yes, find a Hong Kong or other seller, and but a replacements set.

If it is other than DECT, unless you can get cheap replacement packs, buy a whole new DECT phone set.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
FYI I just bought a GE DECT phone and looked into battery replacements - I checked eBay and as already mentioned, there were a number of HK sellers selling the battery I needed for $3 ($1 + $2 shipping), so even if I needed to replace them every year, the costs would be minimal.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I have the same Panasonic phone. Battery life is not very good though. (Doesn't hold charge long.) I do like the idea of being able to use high capacity NiMH AAA's when the originals need replacing.

I echo the advice of other people regarding buying batteries online. NiMH replacements typically hold a charge better and last longer than the original NiCads. A search for "telephone battery uniden nimh" on eBay turned up 100 results.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
You can often buy the individual cells and replace the dead ones in the typical plastic battery frame/holder. I do that all the time. Not only cheaper, but you can use higher capacity cells. The manufacturers' cells are often of such low capacity you can't even buy them anymore in the consumer realm, the cheapest old NiMH technology only available to mass manufacturers it seems.

My Panny phone can use regular AA NiMH cells, using the original plastic battery frame (cut open to remove original cells) as a "spacer", for example.

I usually get my cells from here:http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/. They ship by USPS fixed rate envelope, no taxes etc., they can fit a couple pounds worth of batteries in those envelopes LOL. They have made packs for me too, like for handheld radios; draw what I want, or snap a pic for a replacement, good for older stuff when you can't find the battery packs anymore. DIY-oriented.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I go to A-Z electronics just west of Dufferin Street on Steeles Avenue in Toronto/Vaughan. It is across from the Home Depot. About a year ago my folks moved all their stuff into storage while they waited on their new home and left all the Uniden phones with their batteries in. Of course most needed to be replaced. I wound up spending $6 a battery per phone. Would recommend it to anyone in the big city.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
the cheapest old NiMH technology only available to mass manufacturers it seems.
That's because they buy in large quantities and pay the lowest price possible. It just makes me wonder why these packs are $0.50 on eBay but with a $0.02 brand name label added are $20-$30 in retail stores. I know they need to add markup but that's ridiculous.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts