Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am repairing this unit for a customer. When the unit came in, all 4 orange LED's were flashing one after the other. I replaced a bad cap in the P/S and it does the same thing. Does the DSR505 need to have a Shaw Direct satellite connected to stop the flashing LED's? Or do they normally stop flashing after being plugged in to power without the satellite hookup? Thanks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think the unit is trying to download the current firmware from satellite. It will keep in a non-functioning state until it completes its program to contact the mother ship. Of course that is if there is no other problem such as a hard drive failure.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
The scrolling LEDs are just its boot indicator. It should complete and go to a channel/clock display or no LED, even without a satellite signal (in which case the satellite LED should light red).

My last used 505 does that okay.
Edit to add: if it does that scrolling for some time, press and hold the power button on the front for several seconds and let it do a soft reboot. It may go to a channel indicator then.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I might be mistaken, but isn't it so that Shaw Direct is no longer supporting 500 series receivers? I know they aren't supporting 530s. I guess if they're already active on an account they're grandfathered, but otherwise they can't be activated any longer. Like I said, could be wrong...

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
The issue is this one booting or not (with no satellite connection I reckon), not activation.

I presume it is already active on an account.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
But even if it does boot, are there any channels it can still receive? I thought SC was just about to complete the MPEG4 conversion.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
There are still many of the SD channels in MPEG2 CBC,CTV, GLobal, City and East and West HD Us Feeds are still MPEG2. I believe the US Networks go MPEG4 next spring. TH 5xx Series will work as an SD receiver until the final conversion finishes in 2019.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts