Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. So I was being a bit stupid and bought a DCT box off someone from a site. Anyways I didnt check it and it turned out the box was rented. I bought it and the owner said they were having a moving sale.

So now I called shaw and can't use it because its being rented. I'm stuck with a box i paid for and cant even use it. So the question now is can I sell it to someone else? eg. non shaw users, or other persons using a different service? or is it possible to still activate it for myself. When I called they stated I can't activate it because it's a rental unit.

So i'm a bit pissed off at myself for not taking the extra steps at saving myself time and money. I'm just looking at saving myself the grief now. Otherwise I have a box sitting around which cant be used.

Hope someone can help a poor soul out.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
As discussed in this forum, Shaw will not activate outside STBs, or STBs that have "liens" against them. You may be able to post the make/model on the web, including this forum's for sale section and sell it to someone (depending on the make/model). I believe a number of smaller service providers (Eastlink?) still activate outside STBs, but the (potential) buyer should check with the provider, using the S/N of the STB.

However, please realize that you are then selling stolen goods, despite the fact that you "bought" it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a bit confused.

Your stating I can sell it, and yet your stating im selling stolen goods?

#1 I never stole it and I don't know if the orignal owner stole it or actually sold it to me under false implications. If he was renting it and sold it.. well #2 it makes no sense why he would sell a rented item knowing they will charge him afterwards unless he gets away from it some how.

All I know is at the end of the day, I have a box I can't use. So if I can't sell it what am I supposed to do? burn it? because it's sitting here and it's going to take up space.

I can't get a refund (like the seller will give me one), since his phone number doesn't work now. So I'm outta luck now.

I have to do something with the unit, it can't just sit here forever.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I might be stating he obvious here, but have you thought about returning it to Shaw? I would hope that they would give it back to the original owner....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
#1 the Shaw office is VERY far from my house. It would be a 40 min drive plus meter parking all the way downtown.

#2 if the original owner WAS the guy who sold it to me. Then technically he profits. he runs away with my $$ and then gets covered by be so shaw wont charge the guy either.

If shaw wants it back, they can pay me for what I lost out. I'm sure the amount I lost out is MUCH cheaper than what the box cost them. Shaw already has enough $$ in ripping us off. The last thing I would do is help a greedy company.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
Re: #2. If it is a rental, then the only owner is the cable company and it still belongs to them. Renting something does not make you the owner.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The obvious question here is whether you've tried to get your money back from the guy that sold it to you? Can you stop payment on the cheque or reverse your credit card transaction?

Code:
If shaw wants it back, they can pay me for what I lost out
Or they could just send the police out to your house, because you are in possession of stolen property. Whether or not you knew it when you bought it, that box is Shaw's property and the seller had no right to sell it to you. If the police (or Shaw) come knocking, I think you have no choice but to hand it over, without compensation.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sorry to hear you got taken on that dct. If you want to send me the info on the dct (serial #) I will investigate things further for you. Also send me your contact number so I can follow up.

just pm me with the info or your email address if you'd rather communicate that way.

Sean
Shaw Employee, Customer Care - Social Media

1 - 8 of 8 Posts