Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I starts experiencing some problem with my rental hd pvr (9241 and the software is V238).

Since two weeks ago, when I record someting, It stop by it self, and it start to play the movie by itself, also it change channel by itself.

Looks like someone has enterer my pvr?

A rental hdpvr can i ask for a new rental?

Thanks in advance!!!

Julie_ rose

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sounds like you just need to change the remote address. Chances are someone else nearby has a PVR with the same remote address, so they're the ones changing the channels, stopping your recordings, etc.

Press Menu, 6, 1, 3 (you should now be at the System Info screen)
Somewheres on the bottom of the screen you should see "Remote Address: ##", with a 2 digit number (01 thru 12, I believe).
Hold the PVR button on your remote until it flashes a few times, punch in a different number than what is in the Remote Address on the screen (01-12) and press POUND (#) on the remote. Then press Record on the remote and you should see the remote address on the screen change.

Hopefully that fixes your problem.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
As a Rental Customer Bell TV will exchange your receiver for a new one at any time as long as your account is in good standing.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Changing the remote adress will most likely fix the issue...

Yes, as a rental customer your receiver is always guarantee, but before they decide to exchange the receiver you have to do all the possible troubleshooting

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
True enough Ex Agent, you will indeed have to spend an hour on the phone, running a Check Switch, power OFF power ON, then do it again standing on your Left leg, then on your Right, etc.

Oh how we love calling Bell....

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what happen if my number of the remote as just one #. I press pvr buttom, my sat buttom it flash, did everything you told me too do and still doesn't work! It marks the same one digit number!!!! any idea why?

·
Registered
520 Posts
It will only says one digit, never two if it's below ten (ie. 1, or 4, not 01, or 04).

I would NOT recommend going to the system information through the remote, but from the front panel instead. Reason; you could be controlling another receiver, and affecting more equipment than you're intending to control.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
done it. i, forgot to press select after record. thats why it was showing the same one digit number. and my remote is working good. thanks, JoeLouis for the tips!!!!! And everyone else who try to help. very appreciated. I mark down some note so if it happen next time, i know what to do.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yes sure you can.

Think they still charge $75 for the installation.

If you are not desperate, hang on a while, my contacts tell me that Bell TV are finishing the Rental Scheme as it stands now and are replacing it with a "Lease to Own" Scheme. Timescale is around June/July.

No indication of any pricing etc but I think it will remain at the same level, or very close to it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
LOL, will go retroactive and consider prior months paid as a rental towards my rent-to-own?

If my ticker starts back at zero in July, that will kind of suck.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
As of right now I have ZERO details, sorry.

My guess is that it will be a new thing, starting from scratch. If you are a current Rental Customer and your term expires in September, you will terminate the Rental Agreement and start again with the Lease To Own. Well that is my guess, nothing more, so do not quote me.

You know how Bell likes to do things in very complicated ways so it might be something entirely different.

As I get info, I will share it on DHC.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been waiting for news like this for a while now, and while part of me is happy it's (possibly) going to happen, you know Bell will definatly have some way to screw you over still.

I get the feeling that anyone renting a receiver, whether they're under a rental contract or not will be given the option to lease to own, only if they lock into a new contract. And that contract will probably be longer then current contracts (ie. 48 to 60 months?) and at the end you'll still have to pay close to or equal to what a new customer would pay to just own the receiver outright.

And while that specualtion might seem stupid at first, Bell probably won't be using this as a way to get new customers, but a way to get month to month customers and those under a soon to be expired contract to restart from scratch under new contracts.

In any case, hopefully it will be possible to complain to/haggle with a Rentention Agent to get months deducted from the lease to own contract based on how long you've been renting already. After renting a 9242 for 3 years (wasn't my decision to make at the time unfortunatly) I'd hate to have to pay for another 4 or 5 years or more, just to be given the option to buy it for the same price as it would have cost me 7 or 8 years prior.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts