Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day folkz, I just wanted to know if there was a way of preventing channels that I know I will never use from appearing on my Menu screen so that I don't have to scroll forever to find a new station?

I looked into the Parental Control option, but it does not indicate what happens to the channel after it has been locked out?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
this option is not available yet. Scientific Atlantic (now Cisco) has not made this available in the current firmware yet. keep bugging them and maybe they will hurry it up.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Wonderful isn't it?

Rogers has the same problem.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
When you channel surf (press the direction keys while watching, to see a one-line "guide" on the bottom of the screen) it knows to skip unavailable channels, so thebox *clearly* knows what's subscribed and what isn't. Just a matter of time, right?

Paolo, while it was still SA I tried several times, unsuccessfully, to contact them directly, and they *always* told me to contact my service provider. Are you suggesting that this has changed?

·
Banned
296 Posts
Actually, I've been told it's a decision made by the marketing department of Vidéotron. They expect you, the customer, to unexpectly find a show or movie title that you'll want to watch but you're not subscribed to, resulting in you calling Vidéotron to add the channel(s).

While not in the Guide, you can still use the up and down arrows to scroll across channels you are allowed to watch. Unfortunately, if you're subscribed to the timeshifting package or Sportmax, you have to skip over Pay-Per-View channels or Galaxie+Radio, depending on which way you go.
Vidéotron recently moved CPAC and the Assemblée Nationale channels to higher positions, which is an additional PITA.

·
Banned
296 Posts
You can simply create a favorite list and use it, no?
Favorite list serves no purpose other than by pressing the "Fav" button on your remote skips to the next favorite channel. It doesn't change the order of the Guide.

As for Parental Control, when activated on a channel, it will still appear in the Guide, and when you'll tune in, it will ask to enter your 4-digits password. So it won't help you.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Unless the Fav list is different than on Shaw. You are wrong

I can press Ok on my Remote and then press Fav and then the Mini Channel guide switches to the Fav list. If I want to change to a different Fav list. I have 4. I press Fav until the list I want is shown.

You can also press the Guide Button to bring up the main channel guide and then press Fav and do that until the list you want is shown.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Unless the Fav list is different than on Shaw. You are wrong
Well, Shaw Cable uses Motorola terminals while Vidéotron uses Scientific-Atlanta terminals. Big difference. Also, there's no OK button on the remote.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I used my Terminal for the first time, I was very annoyed by the end of the evening. Not only can I not remove Channels I don't want, there are over 100 On-Demand and/music stations in-between the SD and HD channels, so I need to knwo them all by heart to Zap, or I spend my evening scrolling through the Menu.

I assumed the Fav buttion would display a reduced menu that I could scroll through, but no, of course not.

Not impressed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is my biggest pet peeve of the pvr. First of all, when they rolled out the online tv guide, it came with the functionality to both 'grey out' channels that we don't subscribe to and also, there is a real working browsable favourites list.

Put that in the PVR videotron!

I can see it being a marketing decision, but why market to people who are already paying $80+ a month for a set of channels? unfair. Nail the people with basic subscriptions like ad-based software would.

I guess they have us buy the bollocks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Question about onscreen guide/menu

I'm thinking about switching to Videotron.

According to this thread is it true you can't filter out channels on the onscreen guide/menu? Say I have Basic + 20 channels. Can I filter out the rest to only see those ones? It's doable with Bell.

I may get the SD terminal and would like to know.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
When we got the latest firmware on Rogers, at least it showed the unsubscribed channels in grey. I looked through the firmware thread on Videotron and didn't see any remarks on this. Do you still have no differentiation?

You can't remove the unsubscribed channels, but at least they're now a different colour in the IPG on Rogers Ontario. (1.19.15.2)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Can't filter, and they do not show as a different colour. As mentioned previously, annoying.

SARA is 1.92.10.1

...jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts