Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending three days researching remotes, I'm no closer to understanding what I need to run my gear the way I need to.

My LCD is wall mounted with my receiver/amp/blueray etc in a built in wall shelf at the back of the room.....so I have a line of sight problem
I was originally thinking that a remote with IR blaster would do the job, but there is no room to place the blaster so that it would fire towards the components. Then I was thinking that an IR extenders with the little stick on pods??
But would a remote that just runs RF do the job? Also recommendations as to what remote would greatly help

I'm currently running

Sony 46" HX LCD
Bell satellite receiver
Yamaha 6063 receiver
Sanding c5900 BD

Thanks

Pup

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Harmony One or Harmony 900. One has RF one doesn't

I have the "one" since everything is line of sight. Works great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
+1 on the harmony remotes by logitech.

Ironically I cant find mine at the moment and cant find the remotes to change my setup from a kids channel at the moment. Stuck with cat in the hat till my wife comes downstairs after putting our daughter to bed.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Your Bell remote should be able to control everything you have. You can also program your Bell remote to control the aux (Yamaha) volume instead of your tv, while in SAT mode. My experience with my Yamaha, the Bell remote can turn it on, and control the volume (no on/off). I'm not 100% sure if it'll catch your BD player, but you can give it a shot. Your TV will be fully controlled through your Bell remote, you'll probably need to use the page up/down to go up/down in the tv menus instead of the channel up/down.

Logitech's remotes are great, but its an optional extra cost, and one that you might be happy enough without. As far as behind a wall for IR, it might even be cheaper to buy IR extender.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
There is no way that a Bell remote is comparable to a Logitech remote. A Logitech remote provides full functionality of all devices and then some, in the way of activity management. A Bell remote provides very limited functionality for TVs and AV receivers and may not be usable for newer components or TVs. A Logitech 900 would be ideal since it has the remote IR module but it's also very expensive. It's not necessary to break the bank for a Logitech remote. I've seen some models as cheap as $50-$60 on sale. The direction is an issue but a Harmony remote should work well enough if pointed slightly backward over the shoulder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I really like the features of the 90, but the price tag is steep.

Or how about the 890 I am still seeing occasionally for sale......they have RF too right?
Maybe I could get away with a "one" and use an IR extender, but then I'm into the price of an 890 anyways.....I can swallow that price easier :)

Is there any preferred brands for the extenders?

Thanks again

Pup

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The 880 works for me and the 890 is the 880 with RF. I recommend the 890 if all items handle RF.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The One is a much better remote than the 880. I own both. The 880 is no longer used. Just as the 890 is an 880 + RF extender, the 900 is a One + RF extender. If you can afford it, go with a One or 900. I see the One on sale occasionally. Not sure if the 900 ever goes on sale but some etailers discount it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Have you confirmed that line of sight is essential? I have a Harmony One and can point it at the opposite wall, ceiling, or side door opening away from the equipment and it still works. The room is on the small size thought at 10'x15'.

I would rate the HO a 9.5 out of 10, and when it is setup correctly anyone can pick it up and operate all the home theatre equipment (excluding . This cannot be said for many lower cost remotes that will control all your devices as often they require special knowledge of the keys and which devices have discrete and toggle power commands.

I also have a couple of extended commands programmed (macros/sequences) for one button press to turn on/off closed captioning and to an approximate skip of commercials. These extended commands are either not available with the 900 or require a second remote that has macros programmed to "teach" them.

Yes it is on the expensive side.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've seen H1s for under $200. I picked up a refurb for $140 some time ago. Had to replace the battery. That was $10 off eBay. Basically got an H1 for $150.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Instead of the Harmony 900 RF remote, consider the Harmony "One" with an IR repeater/extender like the Hotlink Pro (good entry level IR repeater) or Niles component system mentioned in the "RF Remote or IR Repeater" thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=117598.
Note: With an IR repeater/extender, you can still use the original OEM remotes in case your Harmony is in the shop for repair.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have both an 880 and a One. Hands down, the One in a landslide. The 880 is still usable, but the button layout and touchscreen on the One is much more user friendly.

880 is going to the cabin.

Logitech makes an IR extender, or if you are able, go to Smarthome and get an Eye/repeater and wire it into the wall. The Logitech Extender brick IR receiver is a tad large and sits on a shelf. Embedding the eye into a wal is much cleaner, or having a small eye mounted tot he bottom of the TV near the IR receiver of the TV would work as well.

The really nice thing abut the 880 and the One is the ability to set up macros and such. Really makes them flexible and the WAF factor of the One is huge (she hated the 880).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts