Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have had an Explorer 8300HD with the 5 function remote for about 3 years now.

In the past few months, the remote's buttons have started to become less functional. To use the 'Ok/Select' button for example, I have to really press very hard until my thumb hurts. It's nearly impossible to change modes between Cable and Tv, as those buttons have lost their function. The Channel and Volume buttons are also quickly becoming unresponsive, again I have to press hard and even then it doesn't work all the time. I guess these are all the most commonly used buttons.

What are my options? Is it free to replace the remote at Rogers or do I need to pay like $50? My cable TV contract finishes in about 2 months, can I get a new remote then? Do those fancy universal harmony remotes make for better replacements?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have noticed the same thing with my remote.

I would frequently play the games that are on the Quick Start guide (yeah, I am THAT guy), and lately a few buttons have been rendered close to useless.

The OK/Select button is the worst one of them all.

Been thinking about getting a Harmony remote, but probably will just switch out for a new remote for now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies! I'll check with a local Rogers cable store.

Yes, first thing I tried was new batteries, it made no difference.

It's as if the actual hard wiring of the remote has fallen apart. For example, to select the Cable mode button, it doesn't matter how hard I press it, the button could even be pressed below the plastic surface of the remote, it still won't light up. But if I press it medium-hard and hold it for 10 seconds or so, it randomly selects. Same goes for many other buttons.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's as if the actual hard wiring of the remote has fallen apart.
It's not anywhere near that complicated. Remotes typically use a carbon impregnated rubber "jumper" to make contact between two circuit board pads. These wear down with time or can lose their conductivity. I've repaired remotes by swapping and inverting the pads. The tricky part is getting the case apart. In this case, I would get the free remote swap from Rogers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, thanks for the info. Makes much more sense.

Got it replaced for free at a local Rogers Plus store. Just brought the remote in, nothing else, and they gave me a new-ish looking one in a clear plastic bag.

That was simple enough. Saved me much thumb-aches!

Thanks for the tips everyone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You don't have to do an exchange. I just walked into the rogers store and asked if they sell the remotes one day because I was walking around the mall. The guy just handed it to me and said here you go. He said they give them out all the time. It was a brand new remote. I didn't have to give any info or anything.

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.