Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DCT 6412 with a Toshiba 51H84C. I would like to reprogram the remote on the 6412 so that if you hit power in "Cable" mode it turns the TV off and not the Cable box.

This should be easy to do, I know how to program the 6412 to add the 30 sec skip, so where can i find the code for power off on the Toshiba TV.

Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
With past dct's it's always come with a manual for the remote and they have the codes for various brands inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The book just describes how to set up the respective main categories on the remote. I would like to reprogram just the power button under the cable category to instead of turning the box off to turn the TV off.

That way you never have to change the remote out of Cable mode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
On both my boxes I have it set up so that you hit the power button and it fires up both the tv and the dct at the same time. I never switch modes ie going from cable to tv etc. It does the same on and off function for both units at the same time when I press power.

If I understand correctly, what you are trying to do is hit power and have it just turn the tv off and leave the cable box on without going out of the cable mode. I am thinking that this can not be done as in cable mode it is a default code for the box which will get shot out as well when you hit the button.

As far as I know the only way to do this will be to have to switch from cable to tv and so on and so on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
Found this at RemoteCentral.com for a Radio Shack remote but the coding seems similar ([P] button = Setup?)...

Copying Buttons:


  1. Although this function is called the "Key Mover," it actually copies codes.
  2. Press and hold the [P] button until the LED flashes twice.
  3. Enter the code 9-9-4.
  4. Select the device that contains the "source" code.
  5. Press the "source" button.
  6. Select the device where you want to copy the command to.
  7. Press the "target" button. The function is now copied.
  1. If you wish to clear a copied button:
  2. Press and hold the [P] button until the LED flashes twice.
  3. Enter the code 9-9-4. The LED should flash twice.
  4. Press the button you wish to clear.
  5. Press and hold the [P] button until the LED flashes twice. The button is now cleared.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
If you can afford a Harmony remote I would recommend it. They are expensive but worth it. No more worrying about various devices to be turned on or off, you just press "watch TV" or "Watch DVD" and it sorts everything out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
GrBell said:
If you can afford a Harmony remote I would recommend it. They are expensive but worth it. No more worrying about various devices to be turned on or off, you just press "watch TV" or "Watch DVD" and it sorts everything out.
Yes.. my wife LOVES me for this purchase.. Since getting it a couple of weeks ago she has become a happy woman in the living room, sans the other 5 remotes. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
GrBell said:
If you can afford a Harmony remote I would recommend it. They are expensive but worth it. No more worrying about various devices to be turned on or off, you just press "watch TV" or "Watch DVD" and it sorts everything out.
I got an awesome deal on mine. I picked it up for $198 at FS and was happy to pay that. The last one they had was just snatched up by a shopper, but the guy changed his mind and put it back; I jumped all over it. It's a great product. It's beauty is in its simplicity. Well, I was told of the $40 rebate, so I thought, excellent, $158. Great deal. Well, on Boxing Day I walked into future shop to help a friend buy a new tv and what did I see as I walked in? The Harmony 659 remote on for $99! I go straight to the customer service desk to get a price protection refund. After getting a "no" answer from the first CSR, I ask for a manager. The manager agrees that I'm entitled to receive it at the $99 price since it's not classified as a "door crasher". Net price after rebate and price protection refund: $58. And I was happy to pay $198.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
I think I have everything hooked up correctly (tv-Pana47X54, receiver-Denon1505, shaw6412). I've programmed the remote codes for everything into the cable box remote. I am wondering if it is necessary to have to press the audio button first to change volume, then if I want to change channels have to press the cable button? This is what I am doing now and it seems a bit ridiculous. Would the Harmony remote be able to do this without having to select the input device first? Would it be able to do the listings search on the cable box as well? I was hoping the 6412 remote would be smart enough to know that if you hit the audio button to use the default audio device without having to select it first. Maybe I have something set wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
Nighthawk 1 said:
I am wondering if it is necessary to have to press the audio button first to change volume, then if I want to change channels have to press the cable button?... I was hoping the 6412 remote would be smart enough to know that if you hit the audio button to use the default audio device without having to select it first. Maybe I have something set wrong.
Check page 32 of the manual that came with the 6412 remote, it describes how to change the volume controls so that they are locked to a particular device no matter what mode the remote is in.

The example in the manual is a bit confusing because at the top of the page they discuss locking it to the AUD device but then the steps lead you to lock it to the TV device. In step 3 just hit the key for whichever device it is that you want to control your volume on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
Thanks Technut (from a fellow Victorian), that helps a lot. I have so many manuals and remotes to sift through at the moment, I'm a bit overwhelmed. In my younger days I used to be able to keep up with the technology but find myself starting all over again. Another question if I may; what settings for audio out do you use on the tv? I've got mine set for fixed audio (no tv speaker), is this correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Re Harmony...

Costco has them as well... (where I got mine)... Awesome remote... plus all the keys are backlit.

You can "learn" functions online as well. Much simpler set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
Nighthawk 1 said:
what settings for audio out do you use on the tv? I've got mine set for fixed audio (no tv speaker), is this correct?
That sounds right for what you are doing (cable box to TV to amp).

If you don't plan to use the TV speakers at all then you could run the audio from the cable box directly to the amp, but you lose some flexibility that way (eg. right now you are probably using the TV to switch the audio source with the video source, a nice convenience).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
I don't know if this is relevant to what you want to do but what I do is run piggy back audio cables ( available at Radio Shack and probally else where) from the 6412 audio out.This way you run one line to your tv and one line to your amp and you can use either audio source for sound (eg. if you are just watching a news channel and don't want to use your amp you can use the tv speakers and if you are watching a movie use the amp). I tried just using audio cables from 6412 to tv and then tv audio out to amp for sound and I thought it didn't sound as good as the way I have it hooked up now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
The Shaw guy set it up for me. From the way it looks, I have the 3 component cables from the cable box to the tv along with red and white rca plugs. I bought an optical cable which runs from the cable box to the receiver. Everything seems to be working ok now just using the cable remote
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
technut said:
Found this at RemoteCentral.com for a Radio Shack remote but the coding seems similar ([P] button = Setup?)...

Copying Buttons:


  1. Although this function is called the "Key Mover," it actually copies codes.
  2. Press and hold the [P] button until the LED flashes twice.
  3. Enter the code 9-9-4.
  4. Select the device that contains the "source" code.
  5. Press the "source" button.
  6. Select the device where you want to copy the command to.
  7. Press the "target" button. The function is now copied.
  1. If you wish to clear a copied button:
  2. Press and hold the [P] button until the LED flashes twice.
  3. Enter the code 9-9-4. The LED should flash twice.
  4. Press the button you wish to clear.
  5. Press and hold the [P] button until the LED flashes twice. The button is now cleared.
I just got my 6412 (phase 3) last week, and have been trying to get this to work (in order to have the Power button shut off only the TV, even when in Cable mode). However, the above doesn't seem to be working for me.
Just to clarify, this is what I've been doing:
- Hold "setup" until one of the LEDs flashes
- Enter code 9-9-4
- Press the following: TV - Power - CBL - Power

Is it possible I'm doing something wrong? Has anybody tried this lately and had any success?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Sith said:
On both my boxes I have it set up so that you hit the power button and it fires up both the tv and the dct at the same time. I never switch modes ie going from cable to tv etc. It does the same on and off function for both units at the same time when I press power.

If I understand correctly, what you are trying to do is hit power and have it just turn the tv off and leave the cable box on without going out of the cable mode. I am thinking that this can not be done as in cable mode it is a default code for the box which will get shot out as well when you hit the button.

As far as I know the only way to do this will be to have to switch from cable to tv and so on and so on.
My first day with 6412 with also a dct2000. DCT 2000 remote turns off both cable box and TV. The 6412 remote is an URC model 2 (Universal/Atlas/SHAW) with 5 buttons and the skip below mute buttons.

I cannot get the remote to power ON/OFF both TV and C box units nohow. Page 18 in the remote's user guide says explicitly "how to do it" under "Using the Master Power Key". I have all buttons working to control power function for TV(Sony Bravia), DVD, Audio and VCR. But none of these units seem willing to join the "cable button" and work correctly.

Are the instructions correct on P. 18?? Other than this programming function, the remote works as designed. What's chances are that the remote is faulty for just this one programming function??

Lastly, does Shaw (FW 10.12 SW 73.45) support the PIP, Move and channel +/- buttons and function?? There is no PIP function working here. .... Thanks Chili
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
A follow up on my post (above)...

There's definitely something strange with this. I finally hooked up my stereo receiver this week, and wanted to re-map the volume controls so that they change the volume of the receive while watching a DVD (while still keeping the volume controls control the TV when watching cable).

The "9-9-4" code worked perfectly for that, but it still doesn't want to let me remap the power button. Anyone have any insight on this yet?

Thanks!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top