Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the black ink cartridge on my Canon Pixma MX310 multifunction inkjet printer. It's a PG-40 cartridge.

Any reason to not buy remanufactured ink cartridges?

Can anyone recommend a good place to purchase online, or anywhere locally?

The OEM price is ~$28. A quick search for remanufactured shows ~$17

Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
The choice is yours...

I can only speak to the HP printers that i have at work. I would highly recommended to never buy a re-manufactured ink cartridge. I have seen re-manufactured wreck more printers than i care to say. Canon may be different but in my experience i would say stick with the OEM, Its more expensive but less likely to ruin your printer.

Just my 2 cents, ymmv

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What Extreme said.

I have never had a printer ruined or know anyone that has had a printer ruined but definitely have seen faulty cartridges or cartridges that don't work. The result is you get stuck with a cartridge that doesn't work and has to be thrown out.

Recently, I got rid of 4, yep 4, re-manufactured laser cartridges. Almost bought a new printer. Got new cartridges (cost close to $500, versus $260 for re-manufactured) and everything worked fine.

My advice, if you go re-manufactured, is buy local so you can return it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Remanufactured/Refilled inkjet cartridges are not worth the money. You will find that the cartridges will run out faster with a refill. The print quality is inferior. Some printer companies will not honour their warranties if "remans" are used.

The refill process works better for laser cartridges than inkjet, but still the filling process is not great (drill and fill).

·
Registered
321 Posts
I work for the Federal Government and have been in charge of buying ink for the past 10 years or so. I have become friends with the account manager that I buy our ink/toner from and he's always told me not to use any recycled/remanufactured/refilled inks. Technicians have said the same thing.

- Page yield will be less than advertised
- Risk of the ink/toner cartridge failing and ruining your printer
- Warranty

I'm not sure about ink jet cartridges but suspect it's the same as toner cartridges. The manufacturer garanties your cartridge against defect and if it were ever to break and ruin or break your printer, the manufacturer will replace/repair your printer free of charge. It's best to keep your invoice just in case but usually, at least in the case of HP, the machine can detect genuine product and will indicate it somewhere in the menu. I say keep your invoice because at one point one of the cartridges failed and when the tech came in the printer was saying that it was not a genuine cartridge which I insited it was. After showing the invoice, speaking to my account manager and further inspection it was deemed to be a genuine HP cartridge and the printer was repaired free of charge

·
Registered
257 Posts
What most people tend to forget is the fact that not only is an ink/toner cartridge a resevoir for the print material, there are the other components that wear out. In the case of toners, the drums become less sensitive to light, charge rollers get scarred etc. And I seriously doubt the composition of toner/ink is the same as the OEM either.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
What most people tend to forget is the fact that not only is an ink/toner cartridge a reservoir for the print material, there are the other components that wear out. In the case of toners, the drums become less sensitive to light, charge rollers get scarred etc. And I seriously doubt the composition of toner/ink is the same as the OEM either.
First, as Hugh mentioned buy locally and make sure your provider tells you about is warranty.

I have been having quite a different experience than what most above posters have mentioned. About 2 - 3 years ago, I was given the go ahead to use recycled cartridge for our 5 printers (mainly brother ALL using toner cartridges) with great success. In those 3 years, I believe I had only one issue twice with the same printer which was dealt with promptly at no extra cost. The only reason for the problem was that the same cartridge was used in multiple brother printers and the company realized that a simple little lever needed to be optioned depending on the printer model.

I also have to disagree that the recharged cartridge will not last as long as the OEM, quite the opposite as OEM cartridge are never filled up to their maximum capacity (think of a box of cereal or other container of the sort that are huge as externally seen but that actually contain about half of its capacity). There are at least 3 of our printers that are used extensively daily particularly mine since it is used to photocopy and fax by everyone in our office.

Not only substantial savings are made since the purchase cost is lower and the cartridge contains more toner than the OEM; we also don't have to waste time to shop for cartridges replacement as they are delivered and installed by a technician at delivery. My only task is to keep back-up (as I would with an OEM) and a simple phone call. The replacement is usually in the same day of order or the worse condition is next day delivery. The provider brings the empty one back with him so I don't even have to worry about recycling.

The deal and service provided has led other companies in the building to use the service also and that I know of are also very happy. Having a technical background, I do NOT see why refilling an OEM cartridge with toner would lead to printer damage nor can I see how a printer could recognize a refurbed OEM to a new OEM face it, the only thing the printer is recognizing is a valid plastic OEM container.

Our oldest printer dated at 2004 is still kicking, we just replaced the drum unit last week and it was bought through our provider new but at lower price than FS would and I would believe this printer will be kicking around extensively daily for a few more years. The oldest printer in my office dates from 2005, I ordered a drum for it due to the printer warning but is still in box since the printer hasn't failed yet (warning was about 1 1/2 year ago). Keep in mind I am talking about low cost printers that are running daily so I can't buy the theory of shorter lifespan of the equipment if using refurbed. This IMHO is simply some marketing scary strategy from OEM providers!

I believe our Montreal head office has been using recycled cartridges for even longer than us with great success.

Now, when it comes to INK cartridges that maybe another story. The only experience I ever had with reloaded/recycled INK cartridge is when I bought DIY INK package and reloaded the INK for my home HP printer unsuccessfully. Most printers nowadays are priced really cheap but unfortunately only government seems to still waste money on expensive printing equipment and therefore is at the mercy of OEM provisions.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My experience

My experience is that reman/refill can save you money. Definitely.

1. HP LJ IIIP - circa 1989 - 2005
- ran fine on remanufactured toners. Finally died when paper pickup roller lost gumminess. Nothing to do with the print engine. Personal, low volume printer. Biggest job in the last few years was printing out the QuickTax returns

2. Samsung Multifunction machine. 2006-present
- comes with starter toner cartridge (500 pages max). I found instructions online and a supplier thru ebay for toner in a bottle. Print quality is fine. Refilled it twice. Refill was easy, and took less than 15 minutes, including cleanup. Refill cost me less than $20. Still have enough for maybe 1/2 fill.

- no warranty left on the printer. I would rather do this, then junk, craigslist the printer, and buy a new one. Full cartridges cost almost the same as a new printer with starter toner.

- googled how to reset the printer to tell it that it has new toner in it.

3. 'cheap' Canon 4-ink colour bubblejet. 2001-2005
- did the refill thing with syringes and hot glue... messy, but cheap.

4. Canon i9900 8 ink, 13" carriage wide printer. Does 13x19" prints, originally $800, bought on clearance for $400 when the Pixma chipped models came out. 2006? - present
- remanufactured inks since the original ones ran out. Over 40 cartridges run through, I stopped keeping track after the 2nd year.
- loads of prints
- one ruined printhead - replacement cost was $100 from Canon in Mississauga, $65 on ebay.
- ( I think the printhead clog was my fault. We run our printer in a spare bedroom via a wireless printserver. I can't get the print server to communicate the ink levels back to the computer.... I think we must have printed a bunch when one of the ink cartridges was dry.)
- Just reordered a 35 cart order from inkanada last week. (I ordered 10 carts from them back in April to try them out.) My original local supply (blankmedia) can't justify carrying the red and green inks my printer uses, due to low volume. I got my ink for $2.60/ cart!!!!
- I don't remember a leaky cart with the 3rd party ink.

Average retail cost for Canon ink: $15-18/cart
Cost for refill ink (range $2.60 - $4) : $3.25
Ebay print head ~ $80cdn

My cost usage ( 95% personal use) based on 40 carts printed plus 1 wrecked printhead
( $3.25 x 40 ) + $80 = $210

If I used OEM ink, it would have been $600 - 700

P

(Dear mods, Please allow the discussion of cost in this post, and adds value to the data presented.)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I tried a cheap replacement cartridge (from BB) in an Epson printer. It clogged the print head so badly that it didn't print properly for weeks after. It wasted almost a whole cartridge of genuine Epson ink for head cleaning procedures. That basically put $45 worth of champagne-priced ink in the garbage, plus the cheap cartridge (that wasn't that cheap.) YMMV but i wouldn't do that again. OTOH, I wouldn't buy an ink jet printer again either. Decent laser printers are well worth the money due to savings in toner costs vs ink.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Great post Petee C!

I tried a cheap replacement cartridge (from BB) in an Epson printer. It clogged the print head so badly that it didn't print properly for weeks after. It wasted almost a whole cartridge of genuine Epson ink for head cleaning procedures. That basically put $45 worth of champagne-priced ink in the garbage, plus the cheap cartridge (that wasn't that cheap.) YMMV but i wouldn't do that again. OTOH, I wouldn't buy an ink jet printer again either. Decent laser printers are well worth the money due to savings in toner costs vs ink.
+1, I have 2 ink printers at home that are fairly recent which I don't care much about due to the ink replacement cost and efficiency. My first office printer was also an ink printer. It has been sitting beside my desk for maybe a year now. All the cheapo lazer printers in our office has earned their money big time and are still kicking and very healthy. The average maintenance cost is next to none when compared with ink jet printers.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The average maintenance cost is next to none when compared with ink jet printers.
That's definitely my experience. That Epson Ink Jet was rated at 500 pages for $80 worth of ink (color.) For photos, it was good for about ten full coverage 9.5"x11" pages. The ink also evaporated rapidly, almost 1/4 of the cartridges would disappear in a month with little or no use, almost another 1/4 for head cleanings which seemed too frequent. Since most of my printing is B/W, I went with a monochrome laser. It came with a 2000 page cartridge that actually does that many pages. An OEM replacement is $55 for the 2000 page or $95 for the 6000 page toner cartridge. There is no evaporation or head cleaning required either. Colour laser cartridges are more expensive but, considering the coverage, still better than ink. Photo prints are $0.25 at Walmart. ;)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
cost per square inch - ink

When I 1st got my i9900 printer, I perused dpreview's 'tog forums.... I used this guy's analysis to factor in what I buy for ink... his numbers (DaveAll) seem to match my tally that I used to keep beside the printer..... (whenever we would print a 4x6,5x7,8x10, 13x19) we would track it on a sheet beside the printer)

In about 1 year of usage and 63,821 sq. inches of printed area, I have used.
PM-20
R-3
B-3
G-2
PC-20
C-4
M-5
Y-11
I use it to determine the ratios that I need to order my carts in....

Anyways, for me, my numbers fall in line with his interms of usage. 0.001 carts/ sq inch.

With 3rd party inks, my costs (ink only - guessing $3.25/cartridge) are:
4x6 = 8c
8x10 = 26c
13x19 = 80c

These figures are probably a bit low, as I don't print very often, so there are more automatic cleaning cycles between prints.

I would figure costs for Canon ink would be about 4-5x more.

Just for reference, a sheet of 13x19" bought in Toronto costs about $1.4/sheet. I still have a large supply of inkjet photo paper from Costco for my letter size printing.

For large prints, it's worth it to print at home. For multiple 4x6 prints, we print online and pick them up at a Walmart about 8 minutes away. The cost there is under 20c/print.

NB. My experience with Canon and 3rd party inks, is that there is a bit of gas fading. Prints need to be stored in archival plastic sleeves, bags, portfolios or behind glass. If stored or displayed properly, fading has not been an issue. I have prints from back in 2005/06 that still look fine.

I would agree though, that for B&W printing - news articles, emails etc that laser toner is the cheapest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts